New
Find
Notify
Tools

Packing of rifles
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Leaving for Namibia on August 12th, have a Tuff pac for rifles and will be packing the rifles in two padded soft cases.

I have Swarofski scopes on both rifles with Talley QR mounts. Should I remove the scopes from the rifles, wrap in bubble wrap, or should I leave the scopes attached to the rifles in the soft cases.

Will be removing the bolts from the rifles and wrapping in socks and bubble wrap. Thanks for the comments.

Posts: 2180 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, Ca. | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am leaving August 7th for Zim. I have used an SKB two rifle case for years and have never taken my scopes off to transport. I have not (so far) had to re-zero on arrival whether it was remote Alaska, British Columbia or Africa. I think it is what you feel most comfortable with.

Posts: 886 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
On two previous trips to Africa I have used a Tuffpak/softcase combo and left the scopes attached. I have yet to experience a problem.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
I've never had to re-bore sight my scopes post transport overseas and never felt the need to remove them.

If the scope can't take a few knocks in transport then it won't survive a decent hunt.

Your Swarovski's should be fine as is.

Posts: 1432 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
470dr - My rifles always travel with scopes mounted on the rifles in the soft cases, then into the Tuff Pak. For just a little extra protection for the scopes I take some pipe insulation foam, the one that's split lenghtwise, cut it to the length of the scope and install with a couple of heavy rubberbands. This surrounds the scope with an additional 1/2 inch or so of padding. The bolt is removed and covered with the same foam and resides in the pocket of the softcase. Usually stuff in and around the soft cases a jacket, pants, shirt, sweater etc.

This process will be used again on Aug. 28th to Mozambique.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses, just like to get some varied opinions and learn from others experiences.

Posts: 2180 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, Ca. | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
470 -

GF and I and another couple are headed there on the 12th too. Taking the Delta flt to J'berg from Atl. If you are on that flt will buy you a beverage and say hello.

Only gone across the pond with civilian weapons and civilian A/C one time (last year to Namibia) with no problems – other than all bags and guns being “lost” for three days.

The only thing I picked up on a via couple of forums I watch it to set your scope indexing rings to “zero”. Some guys claimed they experienced someone had opened the cases and changed the scope settings. Setting the indexing rings to zero at least might give you a clue that someone had tampered with it, but if they had any gun knowledge at all (which most “greenies” don’t), they would/could just turn them a couple of turns an land back on “0”. Another guy claimed he wrapped duct tape around his scopes covering the adjustment caps to help to at least identify a possible tampering condition.

Personally, all I do is set the indexing rings to zero – I do this anyway after a range session just to establish my starting point for the next time. If someone is going to be intent on screwing with your stuff it is just as easy and quicker to either physically damage your optics or misdirect your case to BFE.

Posts: 572 | Location: Somewhere between here and there. | Registered: 28 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I packed two rifles for our May hunt in my TuffPak by first wrapping (about 1.5 times) the scope with bubble wrap and then put them in soft cases. The bolts were removed and bubble wrapped and stored in the soft case away for any chance of hitting the scope or stock. All that gets stuffed inside a Tuff Sack. I added about 3 inches of soft foam to the bottom of the case and another layer over top before closing and locking. did this for 4 safaris and never had a problem. Make sure you can easily remove the bubble wrap to show the serial number of the rifle. Good luck

"Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas"
NRA Benefactor Member
Member DRSS

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i've done it both ways - no difference

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by m3taco:
470 -

GF and I and another couple are headed there on the 12th too. Taking the Delta flt to J'berg from Atl. If you are on that flt will buy you a beverage and say hello.

Only gone across the pond with civilian weapons and civilian A/C one time (last year to Namibia) with no problems – other than all bags and guns being “lost” for three days.

The only thing I picked up on a via couple of forums I watch it to set your scope indexing rings to “zero”. Some guys claimed they experienced someone had opened the cases and changed the scope settings. Setting the indexing rings to zero at least might give you a clue that someone had tampered with it, but if they had any gun knowledge at all (which most “greenies” don’t), they would/could just turn them a couple of turns an land back on “0”. Another guy claimed he wrapped duct tape around his scopes covering the adjustment caps to help to at least identify a possible tampering condition.

Personally, all I do is set the indexing rings to zero – I do this anyway after a range session just to establish my starting point for the next time. If someone is going to be intent on screwing with your stuff it is just as easy and quicker to either physically damage your optics or misdirect your case to BFE.

To M3 Taco, I'am going on Luthansa from LAX to Frankfurt, then onto Windhoek. Thanks for the offer and advice.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not on the subject of packing your rifles, but related: The last time I traveled with a rifle I started to wrap the case and locks with strapping tape after the TSA officer had inspected it. He volunteered to wrap it instead with official "TSA INSPECTED" strapping tape, which encircled the case covering all four of the latches/locks on the case. Not only did this provide visual assurance when it arrived in Africa that no one had opened or tampered with it, I feel that the "official" tape discouraged anyone from doing so. If you can get the TSA officer to do this for you, I would highly recommend it. If the TSA official declines, then carry a small roll of strapping tape with you and do it yourself.

By the way, I've never taken any special precautions with my scopes other than making sure that the entire gun is well-packed and secure. Modern scopes are not really all that frail to begin with, and I'm not so sure that the scope is not better-protected being attached to the well-packed rifle than "floating" on its own somewhere else.

Posts: 13234 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
In all my years of hunting, I have never took the scope off m rifles while travelling.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66946 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SKB X 2

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Rifles in soft cases in Tufpack will be fine. No need to remove scopes, but I always put a neoprene scope sleeve on my scopes. (FYI: gun scope is considered "gun parts" and is not supposed to travel except in checked bags) I've had bad results in removing bolts pre-travel on certain rifles. With the tufpack I turn the bolt side of the rifle toward the center of the case and stuff a coat or some other soft matter into the center. Works fine, even with gorilla luggage handlers.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote