New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thermocell in Africa
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I want to take my thermocell to Africa with me, but i know that i cant take the butane cartridges on the plane. So my question is can we buy the butane cartridges when we overnight in Joburg??

Posts: 68 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
My bet is you won't find them.

What part of Africa are you going to? In 3 trips to South Africa I saw nary a mosquito or other biting insect. I think Tstse flies are attracted to movement so a Thermocell wouldn't help you with that or with ticks for that matter.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Leo,

I agree with Grumulkin. I don't think you'll need your Thermocell. I've never seen a need for one.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12876 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
As of 5 years ago, they were not available in Africa. Contact Themocell directly and ask them.

I agree, you really don't need it. I always have a headset available, but more for Mopane flies and Tetse flies than mosquitoes.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! I agree you don't need mosquito protection in SA, main focus of this trip is my wife's crocodile hunt in Mozambique.And though we have never been to Moz. I would suspect sitting in a blind on a river there may require some heavy duty mosquito protection.
We have had mosquito problems on the Zambezi in Zimbabwe.
I didn't think about contacting thermocell, that is a good idea...

Posts: 68 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mosquitos and tsetses are a definite problem and a thermacell would be great, but you won't be able to stoke it and thank God for Tsetses.

Posts: 10037 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are worried about tsetses the best thing you can do is spray your clothes with permethrin before you go. Done it on two trips to Zim and was around tsetese both trips and was the only one who did not get bitten. Used skin so soft with sunscreen for the other bugs-worked pretty well. Just my $.02.

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 482 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The butane cartridge necessary to fuel the Thermacell device is prohibited on passenger and cargo aircraft. I find it highly unlikely that the Thermacell cartridges are available in Africa. However, the same butane cartridge that is used in hair curling irons will fit a Thermacell but butane curling irons are becoming scarce.
You can find a video on utube that shows how to fill empty cartridges from a lighter refill container of butane. The problem is putting the empty cartridge in your checked baggage or carry on bagage. Good luck trying to convince a TSA agent that you have any empty cartridge even though the cartridges are translucent.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I flew to Alaska in May with many butane cartridges in my checked bag.
Did not know it was prohibited. And gave flown to Canada several time with them in checked bags.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2638 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
df06 you were lucky and so was everyone else flying on the aircraft with you. From the TSA website Prohibited items:
Flammable Items Carry-on? Checked?
Aerosol (any except for personal care or toiletries in limited quantities) NO NO
Fuels (including cooking fuels and any flammable liquid fuel) NO NO
Gasoline NO NO
Gas Torches NO NO
Lighter Fluid NO NO
The problem is that aircraft in flight are pressurized but not to sea level pressure. An aircraft cabin at 39,000 feet is pressurized to about 6,000 feet and those cheap butane plastic cylinder seals are much more prone to leakage at higher altitude. If the aircraft were to experience Rapid Depressurization those canisters you were carrying will leak for sure. The oxygen generators associated with the passenger oxygen system create enough heat to ignite the butane. Remember Value Jet over the Everglades? Another ignition source for leaking butane would be all the miles of electrical wiring in close proximity to the baggage compartment.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks
Makes sense
Wonder why TSA did not remove it when they went through my bags
I know of several others on the flite that had therms cell cartridges.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2638 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From the Delta baggage rules:Guidelines for fuel cell systems are as follows:
Portable electronic devices (i.e. cameras, cellular phones, laptop computers and camcorders) powered by fuel cell systems, and not more than two spare fuel cell cartridges per passenger are allowed when transported in carry-on baggage.
No more than two spare fuel cell cartridges maybe carried by a passenger.
Fuel cell systems containing fuel and fuel cell cartridges, including spare cartridges are permitted in carry-on baggage only.
Fuel cell cartridges may not be refillable by the user. Refueling the fuel cell systems is not permitted, except that the installation of a spare cartridge is allowed.
Each fuel cell cartridge and system must be durably marked by the manufacturer with the wording: "APPROVED FOR CARRIAGE IN AIRCRAFT CABIN ONLY".
Guidelines for carrying flammable liquids are as follows:
A fuel lighter is permitted in your pocket or in carry-on baggage only
Up to two lighters are allowed in your checked baggage if they are properly enclosed in a U.S. Department of Transportation approved case
Lighters without fuel are allowed as checked or carry-on baggage
Lighter refills, fuels (such as gasoline or Sterno cans), paints, stains, lubricants, and "strike-anywhere" matches are not allowed
One regular matchbook is permitted in your pocket as long as it isn’t the "strike anywhere" matches
Torch or blue flame lighters are strictly prohibited.

One of Us
Picture of Shukaree
posted Hide Post
Therm aaaaaaa cell.

To hunt, fish and tell only the truth.

Posts: 134 | Location: Brisbane Australia | Registered: 25 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Mozambique during the dry session May June July Aug there are flew mosquitoes On my crock hunt in June I was never bitten .

quote:
Originally posted by Leo Pfadt:
Thanks guys! I agree you don't need mosquito protection in SA, main focus of this trip is my wife's crocodile hunt in Mozambique.And though we have never been to Moz. I would suspect sitting in a blind on a river there may require some heavy duty mosquito protection.
We have had mosquito problems on the Zambezi in Zimbabwe.
I didn't think about contacting thermocell, that is a good idea...

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KMG Hunting Safaris
posted Hide Post
Have had a hunter from Germany hunt with me on two occasions in the past two years for Spotted and Brown Hyena. Every time he brought a Thermacell with cartridges to use when sitting in the blind.
He had no problems bringing it in either time. As mentioned, he might have been lucky.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Cell, Whats App, Signal + 27 82 8205387
E-mail: info@huntsafaris.co.za
Check us out on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/kmghuntingsafaris
Instagram: @kmg_hunting_safaris

Posts: 1362 | Location: Eastern Cape | Registered: 27 October 2010Reply With Quote