Find
Notify
Tools

DC-JNB on SAA questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of x-ring
posted
Has anyone done the SAA Dulles-JNB 'direct' flight that stops for fuel in Dakar? Do you de-plane during this stop?

For approx. how long are you on the ground?

How was the service?

17 hours...ready or not!

Thanks for the replies in advance.

RECTUM NON BUSTUS

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
The stop was about an hour, but the whole process obviously takes more time with the decent and take-off, so it is a bit of a process. You are not permitted to get off the plane. Service was fine, being an evening flight there is not too much activity, and they switch flight crews in Dakar. Entertainment system is helpful. Set your watch ahead to SA time when you board the plane and try to sleep accordingly (the 2nd leg of the trip from Dakar in particular seems to work best for me, being too excited the first half of the flight), which is what I do or sooner if I hit the Ambien (too late now if you don't have a prescription, but this is quite helpful in getting some sleep and most importantly your body clock adjusted as quickly as possible).

It will go quick. Now the way back...well, no sense thinking about that! Wink

The top report (from May-10) has some info reg the Joburg airport and clearing rifles.

Good luck and have fun!

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We stopped in Dakar in '08 on the way to Joberg. They shut the plane down, had 4 people walk down the aisles spraying some sort of aerosol spray that smelled terrible. This happened while the plane was off, it was 90+ degrees outside and the a/c did not work.

Can't believe I am going through this again in a few weeks!!

Posts: 1755 | Location: Waukesha, WI | Registered: 21 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not the most pleasent portion of the trip, but I look at it as being halfway there and now over African soil.. next stop and you're in Joburg.

That stuff they spray is pretty nasty though!

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I made that stop in Dakar on my return trip to JFK in 2004. Seems like we were on the ground about 1.5-2 hours. I do know the entire flight from when I stepped on the plane until I stepped off of it was 18 hours and 20 mins!!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
I done that trip in April. We had taken Ambien and slept thru the whole stop. I cannot believe they didn't wake us up? On the way home they made everyone stand up and claim their carry on luggage while they checked the overhead storage. I feel the seats on SAA are a lot more comfortable than on Delta.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did the trip in July of 09. Ditto to above posts.

SAA ---------- It is what it is!!!

Posts: 94 | Location: South Eastern PA | Registered: 11 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did that exact flight in July. Good service, about as comfortable as any 17hr flight could be in coach. I had Isle seats both ways and everyone that passed by seemed to have to bump me so it was tough to get any sleep. Good news was it was easy to get up to stretch my legs.
Dakar was about an hour on the ground. The fumigation process was nasty. Take an ipod with your favorite music, it will help. When you hit Dakar look at it like Good News, Bad News. Good news is your halfway there, Bad news is your halfway there!

The return is worse because the hunt is over and there is no anticipation only wanting the trip over with.

Posts: 309 | Location: WV | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375LVR
posted Hide Post
I did that flight in May 2009. The flight to Jberg was direct. The return flight we stopped in Dakar for about 2 hours. Serviced the plane, changed crews, searched, then sprayed the plane with some disinfectant. We never left the plane. The worst part about it was that I was leaving Africa. What a bummer that is !

Martin

Posts: 168 | Location: Nokomis Florida | Registered: 15 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All the above are spot on; that flight is usually full.

One suggestion: Hit the head before the stop in Dakar & time that visit so that you can avoid the rush during that one hour in-plane layover (NOTE THAT THE GROUND CREW ALSO SERVICES THE TOILETS DURING THIS TIME). The line WILL GET LONG & IF YOU GOTTA GO IT COULD BE A LITTLE ANXIOUS FOR YOURSELF ! ! !

one of us
posted Hide Post
I also made the Dakar pit stop last May/June and for reasons noted above will make every effort to fly the non-stop 777 on the next safari. "Security check" in Dakar is something everyone should experience only once per lifetime.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
all comments 100% true. The last time over, they could not get the fuel valve to work,,, they had to tow us to another fueling spot, it added 3 hours to the trip, fortunately I did not have a connection that same day or I would of probably missed the flight. We all had to claim Our bags,[carry on], and the seats were "searched" then we were fumigated , then I thought crap,, 9 more hours on this beast! As usual, a long brutal trip but just part of the adventure. After fumigation etc, new passengers were loaded for the last leg and off we went.

Next summer I am going to Namibia,,, I will either go through Frankfurt and skip Joberg or if I have to go to joberg, and if Delta is still doing the flight out of Atlanta without the refueling stop. I am going to do everything I can to avoid the Dakar fumigation.

Bottom line,, Africa is worth the trouble of getting there, just start getting in Africa mode and put your give a dang on hold,,,,

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of x-ring
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies. Pretty much what I expected...just didn't know the details. Always like to know (at least) what the plan is--as opposed to what actually happens. Nice if they work out to be the same!

I'm 'well traveled' (some say that means old)...and although I used to fly these bolt buckets (better view from up there) it's still a grind no matter what.

Packing my bag of 'tricks and treats' as per usual to keep me entertained/distracted/unconscious...but not too much so.

Meet/greet, clear immigration/SAPS then RON-1 in the City Lodge--right there at the airport (quick turn-around).

Off to Kimberley the next morning ~1.5 hrs. takeoff-touchdown.

Meet/greet--drive to camp--sight in--sundowner!

Trip report(s) to follow.

RECTUM NON BUSTUS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Endured the trip last weekend. A couple of additional coments:

entertainment system is turned off during the stop,

the aux power for the aircraft didn't work while the bird was on the ground, so the collective body heat of several hundred drove the temperature to near 100 degrees before we finally got airborne again (ditto on the Jo'burg tarmac waiting to depart)- layer your clothing. Seemed to be approaching mutiny by the passengers before we took off(maybe it was just me Smiler)

One of Us
Picture of mustbhuntn
posted Hide Post
An hour and half of my life that I will never get back.

Posts: 321 | Location: Green Forest, Arkansas | Registered: 24 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375LVR
posted Hide Post
quote:
An hour and half of my life that I will never get back

A "glass is half full" way of looking at it is, When I describe that lay over in Dakar, people who have never experienced it are riveted by the story. Adds to the whole mystic of Africa "The dark continent"

Martin

Posts: 168 | Location: Nokomis Florida | Registered: 15 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love the Dakar stopover. Once again the Illusion of Security! Once on the ground in J'burg they discovered they didnt aquire the proper certificates in Dakar for entry into SA so we waited on the tarmac about 45minutes for some brave soul to hand carry one to the gate for us. As we were filling out the Customs Declaration forms I inquired about the correct flight number from the attendant and he replied not to worry about it as none of the customs folks could read or write! Welcome to Africa!
In the SAPS office while processing I noticed that the computor monitors were all the old big size ones and they were filthy on top. My PH told me that they only use them as hand warmers and they were not actually connected to any computer so there was no need for a flatscreen and they dont put out as much heat. Also expect a shift change right as you are getting your permits. No on is in charge and the nice chap from Gracy Travel actually had to go behind the counter and start piling up rifle cases so the process could begin. Welcome to Africa! Do yourself a BIG favor and have one of the many service providers do your permits in advance. Money well spent.

Posts: 309 | Location: WV | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375LVR
posted Hide Post
Rob, funny you mentioned that. I used Air 2000. (There are several other good ones) The rep from A2000 walked me through the door, behind the counter. He said a couple of words to the SAPs officer and had me grab my case. We took the case out into the waiting area and another SAPs officer checked the permit and serial numbers right there on the floor. No standing in line. Definite TIA moment.

Martin

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 375LVR:
Rob, funny you mentioned that. I used Air 2000. (There are several other good ones) The rep from A2000 walked me through the door, behind the counter. He said a couple of words to the SAPs officer and had me grab my case. We took the case out into the waiting area and another SAPs officer checked the permit and serial numbers right there on the floor. No standing in line. Definite TIA moment.

I agree, use Air-2000.

I also just returned from a May 2010 SAA trip, and it is just as explained above.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed the stop.The airconditioning worked great,filling the cabin with visible frosty air.I checked out the scenary and got a chance to see the people who were on the plane with me.I will be flying this route again, next month.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wife and I did that flight in July, 2009. The only thing I have to add to the above is that we were not expecting the "Security Check" in Dakar. Thought for a while that it was out of the ordinary due to a bomb scare or somesuch. Of course all was well.

Hugh

Posts: 106 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 27 January 2010Reply With Quote