New
Find
Notify
Tools

Qatar vs Emirates?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any thoughts about one airline over the other, traveling to Harare from the US? Will be business class, next year. Traveling with rifles.

Posts: 1978 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think both are great airlines. I prefer Qatar Qsuite BC. Rear-facing seats are next to the window while those facing forward are closer to the isle.
The Al Mourjan Business Lounge is fantastic and if you want to book a hotel while in transit the Oryx Airport Hotel is nice and quiet too. I'll be flying Qatar in September to Zambia.

Posts: 1792 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
As Jay said, both airlines are excellent. My last few trips have been on Qatar but we leave for Tanzania in 6 weeks, flying Emirates. This’ll be my 3rd trip on Emirates. You can’t go wrong with either airline.

Either airline is superior to all other options for the destinations they fly to.

Posts: 3856 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
I second the opinion on Qatar Qsuite and Al Mourjan Business Lounge. Qatar business class is better than some airlines first class.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 633 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Qatar is marginally better than Emirates. But not worth the much higher fares Qatar charges these days.

Thousands more and hundreds better does not add up for me.

JMHO.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
I’ve flown BC 4+ times on each of them. Prefer QA. Hard to beat the Q suites. And when flying from DFW or ATL, they were thousands cheaper than flying Emirates from MIA or DFW.…

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13160 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Latest prices on routes I will be flying this year and next put Qatar at more than $3K more per BC ticket than Emirates.

Not worth it.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I think you will find prices vary continuously.

One route might be cheaper on one and a month later more expensive!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66982 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've always flown KLM and been satisfied with the service, but I will say that the business class tickets this year were just this side of ridiculous.

Posts: 10025 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
Both are great. That being said Qatar uses the same type of seats (cubicle business seats) from Doha to Harare as the long haul flight to Doha from USA. Emirates uses the old style lay flat seats (not cubicles) from Dubai to Harare and not the cubicle style seats it uses from the USA to Dubai. And yes the business lounge at Doha is superior in my opinion. Nice to have a restaurant style sit down meal.

I am booked with Qatar for end of September.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
Qatar is marginally better than Emirates. But not worth the much higher fares Qatar charges these days.

Thousands more and hundreds better does not add up for me.

JMHO.

The fares fluctuate according to demand.

I booked a return flight cattle class to Milan via Doha from Dar for a pittance ($1050) on Qatar and had I booked a week earlier, would have got it for $980.

You need a good travel agent and steer clear of the airline Head Office.

Posts: 1906 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
Flying Qatar in October. PIA getting gun approval. E-mail address that does not work, CSR in India. Ugh! Emirates is super easy. Live and learn.

Posts: 754 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wesheltonj:
Flying Qatar in October. PIA getting gun approval. E-mail address that does not work, CSR in India. Ugh! Emirates is super easy. Live and learn.

If you need help with your gun permits, either Jamie Cowan of EEM Logistics or one of the travel agencies like Gracy can help you. Last time I flew Qatar, I had trouble getting my gun permits so Shawn Kennedy helped me and had them in under 48 hours.

Posts: 3856 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Qatar normally doesn't start the gun paperwork process until 2-3 weeks prior to the date of departure.

Posts: 1792 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanajay:
Qatar normally doesn't start the gun paperwork process until 2-3 weeks prior to the date of departure.

If they start at all like we experienced travelling to Namibia. Guns had to be left at the airport. Big stress and lots of trouble..

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1137 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

I have to agree with DLS. Jamie Cowan EEM Logistic handles everything for my clients. Between Jamie and Shawn Kennedy at Gracy Travel my folks have very few hiccups.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12868 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

My firearm clearance with Qatar was finalized yesterday. Steve Turner helped me with the process.

One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
Travel Express has handled my rifle permits with Qatar in the past and they will handle it for this September trip as well.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recently lodged an application with Emirates for "Carriage of Firearms" on four flights. Attached all requested documents to the application form and emailed it. This was within the 30 days of initial flight date. Took three days to receive approval. Easy Peasy. I've always had similar with Emirates.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2020 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input.
We ended up booking with Emirates, the itinerary just worked out better.

Posts: 1978 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote