THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Things to do, places to stay in Jo'burg

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Things to do, places to stay in Jo'burg
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My wife and two boys and I are headed to SA for a five-day hunt. We have a day to kill in Jo'burg.

Where should we stay and what should we do?

Perhaps most important, what should we avoid?

Thanks

One of Us
Picture of AK145
posted Hide Post
Regarding where to stay...I think most people will say either Afton Guest House or African Sky. I've stayed at Afton House 5 times and love it. Great people, food...no issues at all. I'm sure African Sky is just as good based on everything I've heard.

Have a great trip!

Posts: 217 | Location: Fairbanks, Alaska | Registered: 15 August 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hartfish,

Get your travel agent to arrange a guide for the day in JNB. It will be worth every cent.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12867 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would not recommend Afton House. Last year my plans got screwed up and I had to stay an extra day with my wife. We were not fed, not asked if we would like to go out to eat, NOT offered anything.
This was the second time I stayed there. Their little barbeque at night is an over priced steak that you have to pay for. I get a bad taste just thinking about the place.
On the other hand, the hotel above the airport (can't remember name now) was great. Had a room to lock my guns in. Good service.
Only had to ride the elevator down to the food court to get anything you could want and didn't have to get caught in all the hassles of leaving then returning to the airport.
I'm doing that again this year. Good experience.

Larry Rogers

Posts: 249 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: 01 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted Hide Post
The Voortrekkers' Monument (museum) is worth a visit as is Zimbi Books/Guns. My father and I thoroughly the former in the way to the field and the latter on the way out.

Posts: 1244 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I only had a couple of hours spare so I caught the Gautrain to M Gordon Footwear at Midrand, bought some nice Courteny boots there.

Wish I had been in Jo'burg longer.

DRSS

Posts: 1906 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
African Sky offers day tours of the city. Reasonable rates.

I talked to the nice lady at the front desk and we had a conversation about what I wanted to see. An older gentleman in a private vehicle showed up and drove me around the city to see all the points of interest I requested. Then we had a nice lunch.

He at first started driving towards Santon until I told him I was not interested in going to the mall and seeing the pretty white part of Johannesburg.

He corrected his direction of travel and we toured the ghetto part of Johannesburg.

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote