New
Find
Notify
Tools

Customs vs 4457's...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A friend of mine just reported that US Customs in Atlanta was checking your gun's serial numbers upon arrival against a "data base" and found the rifle he bought at a gun show many years ago was stolen.

It took a call to a Judge in Texas that he knew, to get him out of there with his hide and the gun.

So beware.........

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It happened to me a couple of years ago in Scottsdale, AZ. Here is the thread: http://forums.accuratereloadin...=216105876#216105876

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Customs never ran my serial numbers the one time I did a 4457.

FWIW, stolen guns NEVER come off of NCIC until they are recovered. When I buy a gun from someone who is not a FFL, I got a "friendly" police officer to run it for me...just to be sure.

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
wish they would find some of my sons

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
When I came back from South Africa in June of last year I noted that the agent was entering my info into a PC. I was, and still am, a little concerned about this "gun registration." He would give me no information about it and only said "it's part of the process." Since he was a one or two finger typist it took awhile.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They merely enter the serial number to see if it comes up on the stolen database. They don't enter your personal information or anything. It isn't a "registration," merely a check on stolen weapons. Personally if a gun I was carrying showed up as stolen I would like it dealt with as I don't want to possess a gun that was stolen.

Posts: 659 | Location: Texas | Registered: 28 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe that customs is using the NCIC database, the same one ATF. I hope they find the bastard who has my stolen 375 H&H, because it is still mine.

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can we access this data base somehow to check?

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
I think it is great, that is what they should be doing. Hopefully more stolen guns will be recovered.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I don't think it is so great......I wonder if the customs service is authorized to check for or attempt to recover stolen guns? What is a citizen's recourse if a mistake is made? Is the custom's service going to recompense you for flights missed, time lost, etc.? Yeah, right.

It sounds good superficially but there are instances of incorrect numbers being entered in the NCIC, I hope someone still thinks it's so great while they're sitting there trying to explain why their gun is not the stolen one and their missed flight is on the way?

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They ran my guns in Boston this May when I got back.

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Last time I got 4457's at Tucson,(at least 4 years ago)they checked all serial numbers on the database. What database I have no idea but they entered the serials in the computer. So they have been doing this for at least 4 years.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No doubt they are entering the numbers on NCIC.

Due to my former job I know a little about this.

If the gun shows to be stolen, it will be confiscated, and you might be arrested.

The one fly in the ointment for an honest person, with a NON stolen gun is that just because the serial number of the gun shows stolen, the brand and or calibre of the stolen gun might be different from yours.

So if there is a "HIT" on your serial number, be sure the official checks the brand and calibre of the stolen weapon in question.

It is best to remain calm, and civil, while all of this is going on.

Also this is another reason to get your 4457 WELL in advance.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went to Customs today and they just checked the serial numbers against the 4457 that I filled in. They did not check anything on computer. They have never checked one of mine coming back from Africa or Canada, but the last hunt out of the country was probably 2005. Why would they check them after you already have a signed 4457? One rifle was bought at a gun show from an individual and the other was new from a dealer.

Posts: 886 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too have never had my rifle serial numbers checked in any computer when either geting my 4457 or returning from outside the US. Last trip was in 2007. But it does seem a little late in the game to check after you have a 4457 as customs has all ready said you own the firearm via the 4457.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
They just did that very thing here in Las Vegas last Friday as I was getting 4457's on four of my rifles. Apparently checking them to make sure that they were not stolen.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Returning from South Africa this April, I put my form 4457 in the wrong pocket in my carry on bag and while looking for it the customs agent in Atlanta said to never mind looking for it, wrote down the serial numbers of my rifles, then checked them on her computer then told me she did not need to see the form when I then located it. Rightly or wrongly, I believe there is a list of 4457 checked guns in the system.

jpj3

Posts: 141 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 05 September 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Crowkiller
posted Hide Post
They ran the serial numbers of the guns I showed them just two weeks ago. The officer examined my CZ, as he said there was another CZ with the same serial number, but a different model (He said it was a shotgun versus my rifle).

TANSTAAFL

Posts: 73 | Location: Georgia USA | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's obvious that Customs is using the 4457 for more than just proof you didn't purchase the firearm out of Country and may be trying to avert tax on it coming back in. True it may help with identifying stolen guns. Don't think it would help much in recovery for those offended as the red tape involved would amount to several years, etc. in a lot of cases. To me it looks like just another form of gun control and invasion of our rights to own firearms.

A definite reason to find out early and not wait until the last minute if traveling out of Country with firearms.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When you fill out a form 4457 you are declaring to the Customs service that you are the owner of the gun. Therefore, it would seem reasonable that the Customs service run a quick routine check with NCIS to assure that you really are the owner of the gun and that it is not stolen [I]at the time you get the 4457[I]. If you are not, and I am, it would be nice to have my gun returned to me and for you to provide what information you can as to the origin of the gun so that it might be tracked to the miscreant who misappropriated it. Also, if your are the legitimate owner of the gun and it shows as stolen due to a data entry error or other mistake, it would be much easier to resolve the mistake while at your local Customs office than when you are in transit at some port of entry 2,000 miles from your home where your records, etc. can be accessed.

Therefore, it would not seem appropriate once you have been issued the 4457 and are in transit to once again check the gun's status.

Besides, anyone who is declaring to a government agency that they are in possession of a particular gun certainly does not have knowledge of or reason to believe that it is a stolen gun, wouldn't you say? So how many stolen guns could the Customs service possibly detect, except for those possesed by persons who in good faith believe their ownership to be legitimate? I say yes, check the guns' status when issuing the 4457, at which time the situation can be resolved with the least disruption to the person in possession of the gun. Subjecting people in transit to a further (and redundant) check at a time when it can cause them the most difficulty to resolve seems nonsensical.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I went to the Customs office in Grand Rapids MI this afternoon and got a 4457 with no records or serial numbers checked.

They were very polite and friendly, and gave me no hassle at all.

one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
Returned to the US June 17, landed at O'Hare in Chicago. Everyone with firearms there entering the country was being individually checked. My partner and I had 4457s and they checked our rifles, "ran the numbers" and very politely passed us through with no further delay. Another fellow coming in had no 4457 and they were very politely detaining him. Hope he eventually got it sorted out...

Posts: 969 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote