Find
Notify
Tools

Prevent Missing Rifles
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted
These are great for tracking bad guys. I would think that if one were slipped into your rifle case, it would make finding your missing rifle case pretty easy.

http://www.globaltrackinggroup...products_ubi4000.cfm

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You know I was looking at GPS stuff a few weeks ago. My only concern is that TSA or some other government official wouldn't be happy about a tracking device in the cargo. Also would this interfear with the plans electronics?

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Both are good questions.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
If the gun case ends up in an unheated compartment , the battery will likely fail at sub-zero temps over the long flight. And you might need to use the Extended Battery in any case, depending upon your total travel time.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
It will not interfere with navigation systems at all. Luggage compartments while not pressurized to the same atmosphere as the cabin, it is not exposed to the outside air temperature extremes that can reach -50F at altitude. It gets cold in the hold but not anywhere near freezing. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A lot of the GPS trackers I saw came with 3-6 week extended batteries

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Would it work indoors let alone in the basement cargo area of an airport?

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Canuck32
posted Hide Post
"The UBI-4000 is the first tracking device capable of real-time updates on a minute to mintute basis. Direct GPRS data connection gives you the most accurate and reliable tracking data ever! The entire functioning unit is as small as a set of car keys. Tiny, accurate, discreet, and reliable. The next generation of GPS tracking is here."

"The UBI-4000 is a self-contained complete hardware and software package small enough to fit in the palm of your hand. When placed with packages, vehicles, or personnel, the UBI-4000 provides detailed reports of routes traveled for quality-control and security purposes."

"Featuring SiRF star III technology for extra sensitive reception outdoors, indoors and through metal. WAAS enabled receiver providing GPS signal corrections, giving better position accuracy. How much better? Try an average of up to five times better. A WAAS-capable receiver can give you a position accuracy of better than three meters 95 percent of the time."

"GPS assist function using GSM network, boosting location sensitivity if GPS signal is temporarily lost.
Durable, lightweight, water-resistant housing.
Enhanced sensitivity for indoor and outdoor reporting.
Tri-band GSM 850/1800/1900 MHz for worldwide coverage."

Looks like the solution to lost luggage/rifles

If you have that much to fight for, then you should be fighting. The sentiment that modern day ordinary Canadians do not need firearms for protection is pleasant but unrealistic. To discourage responsible deserving Canadians from possessing firearms for lawful self-defence and other legitimate purposes is to risk sacrificing them at the altar of political correctness."

- Alberta Provincial Court Judge Demetrick

Posts: 615 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 17 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stubbleduck47
posted Hide Post
Jorge..You sure about a pressure differential between passenger and cargo spaces? I was under the impression that the entire fuselage was a single pressure vessel. I've not seen any references to seperate pressure control systems for the two zones either?

Posts: 911 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would not think there would be any difference in pressure and as for temps will be some but not much. A person must remember live animals i.e. pets, not counting other live animals are shipped in those cargo holds all the time. Just something to think about.

Brooks

Posts: 179 | Location: Virginia, NE. USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brooks Carmichael:
I would not think there would be any difference in pressure and as for temps will be some but not much. A person must remember live animals i.e. pets, not counting other live animals are shipped in those cargo holds all the time. Just something to think about.

Good point. My Daughter shipped her two cats in the hold of a Delta Jet from La to Atlanta, no problems.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I guess I must be the only hunter ever to arrive at JNB and find my TuffPack covered in beaded water from the ice that melted off it after being removed from an unheated compartment following a trans-Atlantic flight? Shite happens, and that includes luggage compartment heating systems that fail.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
That little gem has all kinds of possibities!!

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 928 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
One could ask the question whether or not it could be installed in the stock, behind the buttplate of a rifle? Just replace the battery before each trip...

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2314 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:
I guess I must be the only hunter ever to arrive at JNB and find my TuffPack covered in beaded water from the ice that melted off it after being removed from an unheated compartment following a trans-Atlantic flight? Shite happens, and that includes luggage compartment heating systems that fail.

I have also had a case come out wet....

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've done a bit of traveling and have never had a problem with lower deck temps or pressure. The entire airplane is pressurized on large aircraft to a cabin pressure altitude of approximately 8000 feet at a flight level (cruising altitude) of FL 350, which is around 35,000 feet above sea level pressure.

I've never had any cold damage on anything in checked baggage.

Squeeze the excess air out of any bottles containing liquid and put them in a sealed ziploc, or you may end up with shampoo all over your stuff.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote