New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hotel choice-advice needed
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I will be overnighting in Johannesburgh for the first time and I am searching for a hotel room to book.Safety is my biggest concern-I simply do not trust that place.I am looking at two hotels,one the Premiere-about 1km distance from the airport and the other the Intercontinental 100m from the airport but at 200$ more.I will be travelling with my rifle.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Afton guest house is where I stay. Pick up and drop off at the airport is included...plus good food and most of the other guests will be hunters

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You are leaving in two weeks and don't have a reservation? Good Luck.

I would try Africa Sky. They have excellent and safe facilities and will help you with your gun permits, customs etc. if you hurry.

You do know you need a permit if you stay over and take possession of your rifle?

Posts: 1129 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have booked with Premiere but I have the option to cancel for free.I am using Hunting Support air2000 for the permit.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wrote afton guest house and meant Africa Sky...Im too young to go senile. Big Grin

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want convenient and easy, then City Lodge is the best. It's connected to the airport via walkway and a short walk from the International wing. They handle guns etc. and the food and bar is pretty good.

Intercontinental is also nice but for the price difference I have always resorted to the City Lodge. There isn't much difference between the two other than cost.

Getting transfers to other off site locations can be taxing as they can take up to an hour for your carriage to arrive. If you have several days in Joburg then the guest houses are the way to go.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I thought there was only one hotel at the airport-the Intercontinental.Is there another one called the City Lodge? If so which to choose?

One of Us
Picture of KMG Hunting Safaris
posted Hide Post
Will also cast my vote to Africa Sky. They are a mere 10km from the airport, will collect you, and also assist with Firearm Import Application, if needed. Have only heard good feedback on them.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Cell, Whats App, Signal + 27 82 8205387
E-mail: info@huntsafaris.co.za
Check us out on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/kmghuntingsafaris
Instagram: @kmg_hunting_safaris

Posts: 1362 | Location: Eastern Cape | Registered: 27 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
I thought there was only one hotel at the airport-the Intercontinental.Is there another one called the City Lodge? If so which to choose?

It is City Lodge and not City Hotel - sorry. And it is connected to the airport via walk way. Simple to get there are you will have had a shower and your second Scotch before you make it to any other place other than the Intercontinental.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Africa Sky is terrific. I have also stayed at the Intercontintsl and at City Lodge. City Lodge is fine but limited options for food. you and your rifle will be safe at any of the three. Cheers

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
If you are not interested in leaving the airport, then City Lodge is great. I've stayed at the Intercontinental as well, but like City Lodge better. City Lodge has a very nice dinner and breakfast buffet. The Intercontinental's food is good too. If you want to get out of the airport then Africa Sky, Afton House, etc.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It will be a long flight with a huge layover so when I get to Johann I will be exausted and it will be evening.I will need to be at the airport in the morning so I would like to get to sleep as quick as possible and wake up and go to the airport no delays.
I see city lodge has a very good rate.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Shootaway

City Lodge is always my recommendation and I'm staying there myself later this month. Why leave the airport if you connecting to another flight the next AM?

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12875 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for City Lodge. We found it safe and comfortable. We actually walked back to the airport and ate there. It was cheap and adequate.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just booked a room at City Lodge.Thanks to all.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When you get through customs and have your bags, walk straight out and take the nearest elevator across the terminal to the second floor. You will see the signs for City Lodge and it looks like you are headed out to the parking garage on the walkway. Just keep going as the walkway bends to the right and at the end you will see elevators on your right - seems forever. Go up two floors and you are at reception.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Opus1.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stayed at CIty Lodge and Intercontinental.
City lodge is good value , Inter is a better hotel and closer/ easier to check into because it's on ground level. Food is much better in the inter. Hotel as well.
The lift going upto the City lodge from the parking level is a bit of a pain with guncases and luggage .

They will both do just fine for an overnighter.

Cheers

Nick

Posts: 665 | Location: EU | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jan Dumon
posted Hide Post
Book into the city lodge. Great value for money and convenient.

Jan Dumon
Professional Hunter& Outfitter
www.shumbasafaris.com

+27 82 4577908

Posts: 774 | Location: Greater Kruger - South Africa | Registered: 10 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 for City Lodge. Stayed there twice and will do so again next June. If you are concerned at all about the gun clearing procedure Travel With Guns and Gracy both have people on the ground that will do a meet and greet. On both of my trips since I was traveling alone (and on the first one, it was obviously my first trip) I had them meet me literally coming off the plane, they walked with me to claim my checked bag, walked me through SAPS customs (they all know each other, walked me to the check in desk at City Lodge and made sure I got checked in OK. Next morning they met me at the check out desk, walked me through SAPS again (because they knew each other this last trip the SAPS folks didn't even make me take the rifles out of the TuffPak)and made sure I got checked in to my SAA Harare flight with no hassles. Worth every penny they charged, IMHO.

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 482 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I vote for City Lodge, as well,we've stayed there every trip since they opened and if you are using Air 2000 for "meet and gun permit service", Alpero or Steven (both work for Air 2000) will walk you to the City Lodge and if you ask, will meet you in the lobby the next morning and walk you to the airport and around all of the lines to get on your next flight. I always tip them pretty well for this and it is worth every penny as well.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2770 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just stayed at City Lodge a couple of weeks ago. Have a porter help you with your luggage to and from the hotel as it is a bit of a hike.

For convenience, you can't beat it.

Posts: 119 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 05 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The wife and I stayed at AfricaSky when ovenighting in Joburg in August this year. Can't say enough good things about them. Will definitely be staying there in the future.

Posts: 231 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: 08 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
George: Karl's advice is spot on. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the Intercontinental.

But I liked Africa Sky even better. We just recently stayed there twice on our last trip. It is Africa Sky all the way for me.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've stayed at both City Lodge and Africa Sky. The only way I choose CL again first is if convenience is most important. Africa Sky's service, food, setting, free beers around the 'fire.....can't be beat. The filet is fantastic.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote