THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Would YOU Fly In The Saddle?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Would YOU Fly In The Saddle?
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted

Posts: 67036 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tembo
posted Hide Post
You can bet that SAA will be changing to those seats on their Airbus planes. thumbdown

Posts: 2596 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I can survive Business...but not coach...

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community to use any opportunity to reply to a post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence problem.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10068 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I would just as soon hitchhike...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
hell, the coach section is already referred to as a cattle car. saddle seems appropriate. thank God I am flying first/business elite next month!

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13169 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I've never flown anything but coach, as I am not a wealthy man. That said, a relatively short flight with that smiling brunette next to me might be endurable. But can you imagine it with a 300-pounder next to you who has been careless about his toilet? Or a parent with a sick, crying baby?
AIYEEEEEE!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16419 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NO

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey,
If its a cute redhead and she wants to ride double I'm game! jumping

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
How is that saddle seat going to work out for short people and children? What about wide bodies that take up a seat and half of the next seat, how will they fit into a saddle seat?

There is no way this will ever go into standard use on airlines.

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't even ride one of those things at an amusement park, let alone straddle it for hours on end with someone in my lap doing the same thing.

For some reason the airlines are doing everytthing in their power to make alternative means of travel more and more attractive.

There's a suicidal business model.

Posts: 8938 | Location: Dallas TX | Registered: 11 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
That's not in my future flight plans! thumbdown

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another scam. God in heaven, I am so glad I am retired and don't have to take the crap the airlines are dishing out these days.

First class on BA was really sweeeeet, though.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted Hide Post
If they put any more pax on the SAA A340's they will not find a runway long enough to get that gutless pice of junk off the ground.

That said my wife and I just got back from SA and in all the trip was not that bad. The food was ok and at this point in my life there is noway I can afford a business or first class seat. So I will happily sit in coach. The days in Africa more than make up for the hours in the plane.

Posts: 583 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 08 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saddle seats are for horses and mules, not airplanes!

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
Just imagine how much leg room there'll be on airplanes when there aren't any more passengers! Mad

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
-Thomas Paine, "American Crisis"

Posts: 816 | Location: Llano, CA Mojave Desert | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've flown on internal flights in Bangladesh. Just when you think you've seen it all, here comes the saddle. Perhaps we'll see the revival of the tramp steamer for international travel. Or, how about the Pan Am flying boats?

Posts: 182 | Location: Western Washington | Registered: 12 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just imagine how much leg room there'll be on airplanes when there aren't any more passengers!

Sadly, even if you're the only one on the plane they'll probably still make you stay in your saddle seat. I remember a few years back I was flying home to California from Florida on Thanksgiving night. There were, I kid you not, about 20 people on the flight. I forget the airline, but we were flying in a huge Airbus, with probably 30 first class seats, only one of which was occupied. everyone on the whole freaking plane could fit in first class. I politely asked the flight attendant, since the flight is practically empty, if I could sit in first class. Told her she didn't have to give me the first class treatment, I would just like to sit in the larger seat. She flat out said I could not. She ended up serving me have the warm nuts and ice cream served in first class though, go figure.

If it comes to a saddle seat, think I'll just take a boat before I end up walking bow legged out of Jo'berg.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I thought you were talking about the mile high club. IF so then.... Well We will just leave that one alone.....

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never paid for a B class seat, although I have been upgraded to them. Some years ago one of my customers asked why I didn't buy a B class ticket to Singapore; I said because I am billing you 3K for my butt time in that seat plus the price of the ticket; they said I still could have bought a b class ticket. No wonder big companies have such low margins.

I have used miles a few times for a B class seat because coach was not available. I once gave Wendell b class tickets round trip to Dar while I sat in coach. He said he would be my pal for life.

I just spent 10 days in the Yukon. Every day I sat in a real saddle. That was infinitely more painful than any coach seat, but like most things in life, I got used to it.

Most people, Saeed excepted, fly in the front either because they are Platinum, etc, or they used miles. For a brief few minutes I thought about upgrading my ticket last year to B class after my stunningly successful safari in Tanz, but then I thought, gee, I would rather spend the money on another hunting trip.

I am Platinum on Delta and Gold on United (they have a different term for it) so I get upgraded on practically every flight. But my greatest pleasure is seeing a uniformed service member board the plane, then approaching him/her, thanking them for their service, and offering them my seat. You may not end up sitting in a big seat, but you will drink for free the entire flight, as the flight attendents will love you. Fellow passengers will shake your hand. I once had the aircraft Captain personally thank me. One time a mechanic thanked me; said he was a Vietnam vet and while no one ever offered him a first class seat, he was glad to see it. Giving up your 1st class seat will feel good. And more importantly, that soldier will know at least one person besides his family is thinking about him. How can your comfort be more important than that?

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7572 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just needs a potty hole in it.

==============
Todd J. Rathner
The T. Jeffrey Safari Company
www.tjsafari.com
520-404-8096

Please visit our BLOG: http://www.tjsafari.com/blog.cfm

Posts: 341 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Or, how about the Pan Am flying boats?

Oh, pleeeeze bring them back! It may take you a long time to get where you're going, but that was all first class service of the highest quality.

Of course, nobody has the technology to build those magnificient airplanes now, anyway.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Hell, just raise the damned prices rather than cutting service or charging stupid fees! I simply will not fly this way. Coach is bad enough! I live abroad and have vowed now to never travel across the Atlantic unless I have time to take a damned boat. At least they give you decent food and the price is about the same (for luxury ships!) or often less (for standard ships) than flying! To hell with the airlines!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Half an hour, with a plane load of people sitting in those seats and I see a hijacking coming to land at the nearest airport. Big Grin

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
To say nothing of riding something like that through some heavy turbulence, or even an extended amount of moderate chop.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BwanaCole
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
Giving up your 1st class seat will feel good. And more importantly, that soldier will know at least one person besides his family is thinking about him. How can your comfort be more important than that?

Thank you! I can honestly say that in 24 years of wearing the uniform I was always treated extremely well. I can't tell you how many restraunts/bars I have walked out of with more money than I walked in with because somebody paid the tab when we were not looking. Some old feller would walk up and say," Hey sailor, I was on the USS Neverdock in dubbya 2-korea-vietnam..." Nothing made me prouder than to shake their hand.

Now that I have been relieved of the watch, its my turn to pay the bill and pass the handshake.

Good on you, and those of your ilk!

H. Cole Stage III, FRGS
ISC(PJ), USN (Ret)

"You do not have a right to an opinion. An opinion should be the result of careful thought, not an excuse for it."

Harlan Ellison

" War is God's way to teach Americans geography." Ambrose Bierce

Posts: 378 | Registered: 28 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BwanaCole
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark:
To say nothing of riding something like that through some heavy turbulence, or even an extended amount of moderate chop.

Actually, I think that for us long legged fellers, they might be more comfortable. Nothing is worse than some midget in front of me that feels the need to lay the chair in my lap for the whole flight! I usually spend half the flight standing up in the back anyway Smiler

H. Cole Stage III, FRGS
ISC(PJ), USN (Ret)

"You do not have a right to an opinion. An opinion should be the result of careful thought, not an excuse for it."

Harlan Ellison

" War is God's way to teach Americans geography." Ambrose Bierce

Posts: 378 | Registered: 28 September 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sfhr:
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
Giving up your 1st class seat will feel good. And more importantly, that soldier will know at least one person besides his family is thinking about him. How can your comfort be more important than that?

Thank you! I can honestly say that in 24 years of wearing the uniform I was always treated extremely well. I can't tell you how many restraunts/bars I have walked out of with more money than I walked in with because somebody paid the tab when we were not looking. Some old feller would walk up and say," Hey sailor, I was on the USS Neverdock in dubbya 2-korea-vietnam..." Nothing made me prouder than to shake their hand.

Now that I have been relieved of the watch, its my turn to pay the bill and pass the handshake.

Good on you, and those of your ilk!

SFHR:

You should have been with me the Friday night before Thanksgiving. I was flying through Atlanta. Took a Marine to the Delta club; his parents were there and they were thrilled. When he left, I met up with a sailor. Recognized the corpsman insignia; me and another guy bullshitted with him, kept him in beers, etc. He was on his way home for Thanksgiving and then he is deploying to Afghanistan.

My plane out of Atlanta was a 757 and we boarded through the second door. I didn't notice any service members at the gate, which was a shock. I told the flight attendant to let me know if there were any service members on board. She asked, "Why, are you going to give them your 1st class seat?"

When I said yes, she said she was just kidding. I told her I wasn't. But, no one was in uniform.

I am so glad I met that marine and corpsman. They turned an ordinary Friday night into a night I will never forget.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7572 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote