THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    International Driver's Permit

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

International Driver's Permit
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of AK145
posted
For those of you that have rented a car in RSA...were you required to have an international driver's permit? I am seeing conflicting reports. RSA only requires a valid photo/ID/driver's license...but I see where some rental companies require the international driver's permit as well. Thoughts?

Posts: 217 | Location: Fairbanks, Alaska | Registered: 15 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bellive that there is a new law in SA now - no Americans are allowed to rent cars anymore - they don't know how to drive manual vehicles on the left! popcorn

Posts: 217 | Location: BC - Canada | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As of today, you can rent a car from EuropCar with "A valid, original Driver’s Licence of more than 3 years and original passport or identity document." No international driver's license required.

You can always contact them for confirmation.

Driving on the wrong side and learning how to shift with your wrong hand takes about 10 minutes to figure out - but it can be a very exciting 10 minutes...

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
Aunt and I hired one in January - me on an Aussie licence - her on Canadian.

Didn't need an international licence.

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AK145
posted Hide Post
No kidding right! Last August I was the "soberest" one of our group and drove our van back to Afton House. It was quite the experience! Lucky for us it was late at night...not much traffic...AND...I only hit one curb from driving too far to the left!
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
As of today, you can rent a car from EuropCar with "A valid, original Driver’s Licence of more than 3 years and original passport or identity document." No international driver's license required.

Driving on the wrong side and learning how to shift with your wrong hand takes about 10 minutes to figure out - but it can be a very exciting 10 minutes...

Posts: 217 | Location: Fairbanks, Alaska | Registered: 15 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vlwtx348
posted Hide Post
quote:

I think it took me longer than that to quit activating the windshield wipers instead of the turn signal! The Toyota I rented at Windhoek was so quiet and smooth it took me a bit to figure the clutch out Confused At every intersection, the wife's job was to holler, 'Left, Left, stay to the left"

My wife and I got the international permits on our trip. The girl at the rental counter smiled a big smile and said all she needed was my DL. She was nice enough not to laugh out loud.

I never did get used to topping a hill to see an 18-wheeler coming at me at 280 kph in my lane....wait...he's not...whew.

Posts: 310 | Location: NE Texas | Registered: 12 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
The International DL is no big deal. $35 USD at a AAA Auto Club (CAA in Canada) and 2 passport sized photo's.
It was required in a European country I visited.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vlwtx348:
quote:

I think it took me longer than that to quit activating the windshield wipers instead of the turn signal! The Toyota I rented at Windhoek was so quiet and smooth it took me a bit to figure the clutch out Confused At every intersection, the wife's job was to holler, 'Left, Left, stay to the left"

My wife and I got the international permits on our trip. The girl at the rental counter smiled a big smile and said all she needed was my DL. She was nice enough not to laugh out loud.

I never did get used to topping a hill to see an 18-wheeler coming at me at 280 kph in my lane....wait...he's not...whew.

I still do the windshield wiper thing and I have been driving on the wrong side for years.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by vlwtx348:
quote:

I still do the windshield wiper thing and I have been driving on the wrong side for years.

Every single damn car in Australia had the wipers and in the indicators reversed.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had to have an "International Drivers License" when I was in F1. But that's a different story. Roll Eyes

Larry Sellers
SCI(International)Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AK145
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info folks. I have a feeling I will be hearing a lot of "Stay left!" from the "left" side of the car!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stay left and look right is generally good advice, look right for pedestrians as well.

Posts: 344 | Location: Reno, Nevada | Registered: 05 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
I have spent a good amount of time driving in RSA and Botswana. I always put a sticky note on the windshield "Stay Left or Die" An International Rule of the Road is that driver stays on the middle side of lane. Go to AAA to get license.
Watch out for pedestrians especially when driving near places that sell alcohol. They get drunk, walk out in street and get hit quite often.

I would also have some cash ready to give to police in case you get pulled. He is going to know that you are an American when he sees your license and they associate most Americans with money. It would be much easier just to give him 1000 Rand and on your way. If you are alone I would not drive at night! Not like you are driving to Disney World. Lots of crime in South Africa. Below is a funny video of me driving with major language barrios. I do not speak Swana and just repeating what is on the radio.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?..._H0&feature=youtu.be
In Botswana you have to watch out for Donkeys. In Northern Botswana, it is unsafe to drive at night because of Elephants. They are so tall that you can not see their eyes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2oZ3b9FnuY

Captain Clark Purvis
www.roanokeriverwaterfowl.com/

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Every PH i have ridden with signals lane changes and turns with his windshield wipers--

I think they teach it in PH School-

sofa

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AK145
posted Hide Post
Are the signals on the right side of the steering wheel then? This is going to be an adventure!

One of Us
Picture of AK145
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Capt. Purvis:
I have spent a good amount of time driving in RSA and Botswana. I always put a sticky note on the windshield "Stay Left or Die"

I'm sure I will hear that so much from the passenger seat I will want to die! Haha...