Find
Notify
Tools

Global Entry interview
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted
My wife and I are headed to the UK next month, so I finally got on the ball and we went for our Global Entry interview today.

I just wanted to report that the US Customs agent was an absolute pleasure to deal with. He was a hunter and asked about my trips to Moz and Zim. He'd been to South Africa a couple of years ago hunting. He covered everything with me, got my wife in, who had an appointment at a later date, but thought she'd try to get an interview with me, and then went over the final particulars of what to do if the machine gives you a circle or an x, no matter what the greeters tell you to do if they see either of those. Just a great guy.

The San Antonio airport parking garage is under construction (again) so it involves a long walk, but there's cold water bottles available for free at each end. The police were everywhere, pleasant, and offering everyone water.

It was like my wife and I had wandered into an alternate reality.

Anyway, just wanted to say that not all the customs agents are prks. Big Grin

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't had a bad interaction with any of the CBP guys, ever. They have always been very positive with me.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I did the Global interview on August 3rd at 6:30 PM. I had to pick some people up at LAX so I just scheduled the interview for a half an hour before their flight arrived.

The CBP agent was very pleasant and polite and I received my Global Entry ID card on August 12th.

Very fast service but I've had so many background checks done on me in that I knew it wouldn't be an issue.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12549 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Global Entry may be the one federal program ever created that is worth a flip. Used it on Saturday returning to Houston. Took me less than five minutes to clear Immigration and Customs.

Mike

Posts: 21241 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Global Entry may be the one federal program ever created that is worth a flip. Used it on Saturday returning to Houston. Took me less than five minutes to clear Immigration and Customs.

Same here mike when we retuned in May through Houston. Long lines for everyone else and we went through the kiosk and then a separate Global line with no one else in it.

Cheers
Jim

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not eligible for Global Entry because I tried to import a lemur. A lemur as you may know is a monkey type animals that only occurs on Madagascar except I've never been to Madagascar. I shot a mongoose in Zim in '07 and the Zim Park doorknob put lemur on my paperwork. I was living in Wyoming at the time and the notice from US,F&G said I could come to Seattle with my lawyer and contest their ruling or pay a $500 fine and plead guilty. I of course chose the latter option grudgingly. It didn't matter if the animal was a mongoose or not nor that lemurs do not inhabit Zimbabwe. I was guilty so with that violation on my record I'm not eligible for Global Entry. Sorry for the rant but this has bugged me for a long time.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12876 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
I had no problem and really enjoy having Global Entry. The better half on the other hand went through a little more scrutiny because of potato chip incident. That bag of undeclared lamb flavored chips in her carry on coming back from London is on her record. Smiler

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 633 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
I'm not eligible for Global Entry because I tried to import a lemur. A lemur as you may know is a monkey type animals that only occurs on Madagascar except I've never been to Madagascar. I shot a mongoose in Zim in '07 and the Zim Park doorknob put lemur on my paperwork. I was living in Wyoming at the time and the notice from US,F&G said I could come to Seattle with my lawyer and contest their ruling or pay a $500 fine and plead guilty. I of course chose the latter option grudgingly. It didn't matter if the animal was a mongoose or not nor that lemurs do not inhabit Zimbabwe. I was guilty so with that violation on my record I'm not eligible for Global Entry. Sorry for the rant but this has bugged me for a long time.

Mark

Sorry Mark.... you fucked up. Just like I did with the Set Net violation "no contest" in Dillingham.

It's all about the "conviction rate" with these people. They get the same notch in their record for a full blown conviction as they do for tricking a ........ like you and I into taking the "easy" way out.

Cheers and hi to Sadie
Jim

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you clear Customs through Atlanta, you should use the Mobile Passport app that you can download on your cell or tablet. It's just as quick as Global Entry as very few seem to know anything about it.

It is just as quick without all the hassles.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I had been denied Global Entry in mid 2014 for a stupid mistake that my customs broker located in San Francisco had made with one of my trophy shipments. I appealed the denial (being a lawyer, why not?) and 8 months later was approved. When I went for the interview the gentleman said that he too had reviewed my appeal and saw that it was clearly not my fault in any way. He also said that 99% of those denied never try to appeal. I used it coming back from Africa last week and it is a real pleasure to pass all of those masses of people waiting to come back into the U.S. tu2 Without it we would have missed our connecting flight back to Las Vegas. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
If you clear Customs through Atlanta, you should use the Mobile Passport app that you can download on your cell or tablet. It's just as quick as Global Entry as very few seem to know anything about it.

tu2

Posts: 41786 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:

but it only works at ATL, MIA, ORD, SEA, or SFO.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13166 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
As an aside, I have been very happy with TSA Pre Check.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:

Mark

It is your ponytail, Mark. They think that is a lemur....

Posts: 10201 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CharlesL:
I had no problem and really enjoy having Global Entry. The better half on the other hand went through a little more scrutiny because of potato chip incident. That bag of undeclared lamb flavored chips in her carry on coming back from London is on her record. Smiler

Damn! Got our interviews set up and my wife got "busted" trying to smuggle a box of Pop Tarts into Australia a few years back...I wonder if that is going to show up? Smiler

Karl Evans

Posts: 2770 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What would happen to you if you had a box of animal crackers with you ? Roll Eyes !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well if said box contained one of more of the Big 5 and you did not have the proper CITES permits you would be completely and thoroughly screwed.

shame

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cazador humilde:
My wife and I are headed to the UK next month, so I finally got on the ball and we went for our Global Entry interview today.

I just wanted to report that the US Customs agent was an absolute pleasure to deal with. He was a hunter and asked about my trips to Moz and Zim. He'd been to South Africa a couple of years ago hunting. He covered everything with me, got my wife in, who had an appointment at a later date, but thought she'd try to get an interview with me, and then went over the final particulars of what to do if the machine gives you a circle or an x, no matter what the greeters tell you to do if they see either of those. Just a great guy.

The San Antonio airport parking garage is under construction (again) so it involves a long walk, but there's cold water bottles available for free at each end. The police were everywhere, pleasant, and offering everyone water.

It was like my wife and I had wandered into an alternate reality.

Anyway, just wanted to say that not all the customs agents are prks. Big Grin

Your experience was the same as ours. We were interviewed in Austin in summer of 2014 and everything was prompt, professional, and helpful. We visited Scotland last year, and the Global Entry cards worked as promised.

However, you should know that, beginning recently, the Global Entry card and TSA's Trusted Traveler card work only sometimes for domestic travel. For some inexplicable reason, TSA sometimes does not accept the card no. and print "Pre" on your domestic boarding pass. TSA, not your airline, controls this. When that happens, you have to go through the long lines with everyone else. You cannot get it corrected at the airport.
This is not why you underwent an interview, background check, and paid $100, but they claim a right to do it for "reasons of air travel security.". Not good news!

Posts: 150 | Location: Blanco Co., TX | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, that is not good news! Then why have it?

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Yes, that is not good news! Then why have it?

They intentionally left the risk of random search/additional screening in the fine print.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, recently had TSA Pre-check coming back from Seattle to Las Vegas, but not going.

One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
I cannot explain it well but information should be on your favorite airline's website. TSA Pre check and global entry are different. I have both. The TSA pre check does work for overseas travel departing from the US and the global entry will work on return.

American Airlines originally put me in for Pre check and I had to go to the TSA website and fill out the "trusted traveler" document so it would function with all airlines. Pretty painless and I highly recommend them for frequent travelers. Used the travel app recently just for kicks. It works great as well.

On my recent travels it appears as if the primary qualification for global entry and trusted traveler is to have several unruly children, (one of which must be in a stroller equipped for lunar exploration), and you must have limited experience with airports and air travel as well as zero knowledge of the security measures taken in these areas for the past 10 years. Inability to speak English and large collections of costume jewelry give you priority points.

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
The answer is simple..

There is no consistency in TSA operations between airports, period..

That has always been my biggest complaint - in one airport TSA will make you place an IPAD in a separate tray from a laptop, in the next, they will tell you to leave them in the same tray while looking at you like you are some kind of idiot..

I guess I should not have such high expectations. After all - I don't think I have ever noticed even a glimmer of intelligence in a TSA worker's eyes...

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 893 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SFRanger7GP:
TSA Pre check and global entry are different.

Of course they are.
PreCheck is a TSA program
Global Entry is a Customs and Borders program

TSA precheck is to move you through screening more quickly

Global Entry is to move you through customs more quickly when arriving back in the US.

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs

http://www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have both as well, as you were given both when you signed up and were approved for Global Entry. tu2 Global Entry participants are automatically given/enrolled in TSA Precheck, but TSA Precheck only participants are not automatically given/enrolled in Global Entry.

One of Us
Picture of BuffNut
posted Hide Post
Precheck is becoming overrated. Yesterday at O'Hare the Precheck line was halfway down the terminal while the "standard" security line was nearly empty. If you didn't mind taking your shoes off, your laptop out, and your liquids out of your carry on, it was much faster to go "standard" than Precheck. In the early days, when no one had Precheck - it was heaven.

I went for my Global Entry interview in Chicago. The CBP agent (a young lady) who conducted my "interview" and took my fingerprints asked me about the reason for my foreign travel. I told her some was business but more was for hunting. She seemed surprised and said "you don't bring anything back, do you?"

And I said "Well, I use a broker who clears my trophies."

"Oh no," she replied. "You can't bring anything back."

"You can import hides and skulls and horns for taxidermy," I told her, "As long as they clear USF&W and USDA and whoever else needs to inspect them - I leave all that to the customs broker."

"Whoever told you that is wrong," she told me. "You can't bring any part of any animal home from overseas."

"OK, thanks for the tip, I'll remember that." I told her.

Interview over, fingerprints taken, Global Entry approved.

Just don't argue. You can't win. And Global Entry is worth the $100 and the hassle (if you pay with an Amex Platinum card they'll even refund the fee).

Posts: 193 | Location: Cherry Log, Georgia | Registered: 01 May 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SFRanger7GP:
I cannot explain it well but information should be on your favorite airline's website. TSA Pre check and global entry are different. I have both. The TSA pre check does work for overseas travel departing from the US and the global entry will work on return.

American Airlines originally put me in for Pre check and I had to go to the TSA website and fill out the "trusted traveler" document so it would function with all airlines. Pretty painless and I highly recommend them for frequent travelers. Used the travel app recently just for kicks. It works great as well.

On my recent travels it appears as if the primary qualification for global entry and trusted traveler is to have several unruly children, (one of which must be in a stroller equipped for lunar exploration), and you must have limited experience with airports and air travel as well as zero knowledge of the security measures taken in these areas for the past 10 years. Inability to speak English and large collections of costume jewelry give you priority points.

Now, the Global entry number works as the TSA pre-check number also.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12549 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was denied over some pieces of goose jerky some farmer had left in my truck that had fallen between the seats and I had no idea it was there when crossing by land from canada to the usa.

Posts: 589 | Location: Austin TX, Mexico City | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuffNut:
Precheck is becoming overrated. Yesterday at O'Hare the Precheck line was halfway down the terminal while the "standard" security line was nearly empty. If you didn't mind taking your shoes off, your laptop out, and your liquids out of your carry on, it was much faster to go "standard" than Precheck. In the early days, when no one had Precheck - it was heaven.

I went for my Global Entry interview in Chicago. The CBP agent (a young lady) who conducted my "interview" and took my fingerprints asked me about the reason for my foreign travel. I told her some was business but more was for hunting. She seemed surprised and said "you don't bring anything back, do you?"

And I said "Well, I use a broker who clears my trophies."

"Oh no," she replied. "You can't bring anything back."

"You can import hides and skulls and horns for taxidermy," I told her, "As long as they clear USF&W and USDA and whoever else needs to inspect them - I leave all that to the customs broker."

"Whoever told you that is wrong," she told me. "You can't bring any part of any animal home from overseas."

"OK, thanks for the tip, I'll remember that." I told her.

Interview over, fingerprints taken, Global Entry approved.

Just don't argue. You can't win. And Global Entry is worth the $100 and the hassle (if you pay with an Amex Platinum card they'll even refund the fee).

Sage advice. But not a confidence builder for future experiences with our Civil Servants. How did she even pass the exam?? Probably just filling a quota.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
Another CBP story: When I returned from my 2013 hunting trip to Namibia in 2013, I had to clear Customs in Detroit. The young male agent inspected my Winchester Model 70 and asked for my Form 4457, which I produced. He then asked me for the 4457 on the 19 year old Leupold Vari-X III that was mounted on the gun. I told him it was a 19 year old scope made in Oregon. He then said... "No, those are made in Germany." Luckily, there is a big old stamp right on the scope that says "Made in the USA". With his permission, I switched on my IPhone to the Leupold website, which states in bold type "Proudly designed, manufactured and marketed in Oregon". He shut his pie hole after that.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1382 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We finally went for our interview, drove down to Houston for the interview as no appointments were available at DFW until late November. In an earlier post I joked about my wife getting caught smuggling pop tarts into Australia and wondering if that incident would raise it's ugly head. The answer is "yes", it was brought up for discussion. My interview lasted about 35 seconds and her's lasted about 10 minutes...after we had left the airport she received a phone call from the CBP supervisor to "clarify" a couple of things. Easily done, but here is the kicker...they called on a cell phone that we use only for calls from my 86 year old Mother, when it rings it usually means a trip to the Dr or hospital, and no one else-not even children-has that number. Some people would be astounded to know how much access the government actually has to their information. The pop tart saga didn't disqualify her after all.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2770 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been wanting to do this for some time, but never got around to it. But after my last return from Tanzania last week, I'm not sure why I would. There was no line whatsoever. I got to the luggage carousel long before my rifle case and duffel arrived, met the KLM escort (when you have firearms -- nice touch -- you get expedited through all lines after that point).

Posts: 10037 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had global entry for a couple of years. It is well worth the process, especially when transiting through a large international terminal and all international flights have landed at the same time. Earlier this year I landed at Sea-Tac, at the same time 3 or 4 other flights landed. Globel entry got me to the head of the line and to the global entry kiosk and out the door to wait for my luggage. Other folks it took hours to clear customs.

Tim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Landing at Sea-Tac was what made me decide to get Global Entry, coming home from British Columbia our plane landed about the same time as a couple from the Far East. It took over 3 hours to clear customs.
No more of that for me, Global Entry is nice, we used it two weeks ago at DFW coming thru Dubai and it took maybe 5 minutes to clear.

Karl Evans

one of us
posted Hide Post
Got an email from CBP a few days ago, reminding me that my five year enrollment in Global Entry expires this year. I clicked on the link to the GOES website, logged in, having to redo my password which seems to have expired in the past four plus years; filled out the same forms as originally with changes due to having visited different countries; paid my $100 fee by credit card; and waited. Yesterday, got an email saying I was extended. So, no need for a new interview to extend, just pay.

Regards

Posts: 1319 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote