SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1579 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Is there any other place than Vic Falls hotel ? Serious thats a place you need to stay at for a few days, after that hook upp with Russ at Ultimate lodge and do some fishing or a phototrip to Bots. I did that for 5 days last year it was a great time !

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.lhw.com/Hotel/The-V...toria-Falls-Zimbabwe

A second vote for the Victoria Falls Hotel. Amazing old photos on the walls and a really fantastic old hotel.

Enjoy your trip!!!

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9383 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
3rd for Vic Falls Hotel if you like history at all. It is expensive, but it is old Africa...I loved the 3 days I was there...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
4th for the Vic Falls Hotel. Stayed there overnight in 1997 with my rifles prior to a 4 day trip into Botswana. They locked my rifles in the vault and were quite happy to have a hunter at their hotel. When I returned from Bots, I was greeted by name in the parking lot and treated very well. Beautiful room with a great view. I truely enjoyed my 3 day stay with them prior to hunting Zim. Seems they hadn't seen many hunters for awhile and were glad to have me.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My first experience in Africa was the two days I spent at the Victoria Falls Hotel 17 years ago. The place just reeks "Old Africa". It's spendy but nothing really compares to it at the Falls. If you just want to see the Falls there are a number of less expensive places but if you want to bath in the real African ambience there is nothing like the Victoria Falls Hotel.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12885 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
May1989. Shot a nice elephant in the am. Had lunch and watched the sights around the water hole (pool) at the Vic Falls Hotel. A day I'll never forget.

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LRH270:
Never been before but going in June.

Suggestions?

Well even if you decide not to stay there, please do visit, have a drink (gin-tonic?) on the terrace and walk the grounds. Have stayed there several times over the years -- the place seems timeless.

One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
Ok, OK, you've all convinced me!

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1579 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Victoria Falls Hotel. My wife fell in love with the place (as did I) in 2009. Check the different sites offering availablility as the prices can vary quite a bit. I think I got the best price from the Leading Hotels site and figured we would end up with a room next to the train station but instead got a room on the second floor looking out towards the gorge and bridge. If all else fails, pick the telephone up and call them and ask for their best rate. Everything is negotiable in Vic Falls.

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Cumming, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wife and I stayed at the Ilalla in 2005. It was ok, but after visiting the Vic Falls Hotel we decided it would be first choice for our next stay.

DRSS
NRA Life Member
VDD-GNA

Posts: 326 | Location: Cheyenne area WY USA | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rates? What's a ballpark estimate per night?
My wife is going to Dande with me next year. Would you go to Vic Falls before or after the hunt?

Posts: 155 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 30 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
I Paid 618 usd for 5 nights last year, I would go after my hunt.

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I am going in July and will spend some time both at the Vic Falls hotel and at Gorges Lodge.

While Ultimate (his lodge) is closed for now, I'd contact Russell Caldecott at www.ultimatelodge.com and he can arrange both hotels for you at a good discount, along with fishing, rafting, helo rides, etc.

View from my room at Gorges Lodge

The bar

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7548 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What JudgeG says +1

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
I stayed at Victoria Falls Hotel on my first trip there in 1983. It then was all everyone says it is now. My stay there was truly memorable.

When I took my granddaughter to Africa in 2007, we stayed across the river in Zambia at the Thorntree Lodge. It was part of a tour package that also included Kruger Park and airfare from Johannesburg to Vic Falls and return.

The Thorntree is on a high riverbank overlooking a hippo pool with close-up views of the Zambezi and its wildlife (there was an elephant in the parking lot when we arrived).

Its thatched rondavals with mosquito netting over four-poster beds, sundowners on a pontoon boat on a river island, and the personal service available only to a limited number of guests had a lot going for it, too.

As for which side is best for viewing the falls, there is no question. It's Zimbabwe.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GO WATER RAFTING! I did it in Nov...and it was the coolest thing I've ever done in africa other than hunting! Rafting the zambezi was incredible, and a great way to see the scenery!

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
The Vic Falls Hotel is the classic but is grossly overpriced.

There are lots of alternatives and an internet search will reveal the respectable alternatives.

Posts: 1432 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would stay on the way over so if your luggage does not arrive with you it has a bit of time to catch up before you move on to your hunting destination.Also helps to get over the jet lag before hunting.

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dwarf416
posted Hide Post
SAy you are on your honey moon. That will bring you an automatic 20% discount.

diego

Posts: 645 | Location: madrid spain | Registered: 31 October 2007Reply With Quote