THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Curios, skins etc. shopping in Joberg

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Curios, skins etc. shopping in Joberg
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
About 10 years ago I bought a bunch of curios, skins, and ostrich eggs, etc. in a warehouse in Johannesburg. I can not remember the name of the place but it had just huge amounts of items for sale at great prices.
Does anyone know of such a place today?
Camshaft

Posts: 345 | Location: Cameroun, South Africa | Registered: 19 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think Cabanos & Son has the most curios etc in JNB. interesting place. Dennis has a lot of hunitng stories from the old days. Place has everything from porcupine quills to diamonds.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12866 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
You're probably thinking of Bushcraft Trading (www.bushcraft.co.za) and they've just moved to new premises at: 15 Dartfield Rd.,Kramerville, Sandton, South Africa

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
camshaft there is an outdoor market curios and more north of Joberg around 30k at a major intersection next to a big lake or dam... Alot of Zim expatriates will be there with there wares...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
You're probably thinking of Bushcraft Trading (www.bushcraft.co.za) and they've just moved to new premises at: 15 Dartfield Rd.,Kramerville, Sandton, South Africa

Steve: In the late 1980s and early 1990s, I used to shop for SCI's museum gift shop department at Bushcrft whenever I was in South Africa. I loved poking around in its bins. The building was dusty and run down, but I could have spent days there. I especially remember a 3-foot high stack of tanned zebra hides and piles of shields and spears that were the genuine article and not made for tourists. Back then, the place was not open for retail trade, though.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all, it definately sounds like Bushcraft Trading was the place I remember.
I appreciate the info.
Camsaft

Posts: 345 | Location: Cameroun, South Africa | Registered: 19 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Bill,

Interesting you should say that. I used to get in there around that time also.

I wonder if you ever met John Ilsley who was an ivory dealer and had connections with Bushcraft?

John's a good friend of mine and lives just up the road to me here in White River.

Another guy who used to have connections with Bushcraft was Thom (aargh, can't remember his surname just now) who was also involved in the sea shell business (of all things) for many years. Thom now lives in the UK and wrote a book a few years ago.

As you say, it was a great place to poke around.

The business is now run by Oliver who is the son of the original owner.

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
Bill,Interesting you should say that. I used to get in there around that time also.I wonder if you ever met John Ilsley who was an ivory dealer and had connections with Bushcraft?John's a good friend of mine and lives just up the road to me here in White River.Another guy who used to have connections with Bushcraft was Thom (aargh, can't remember his surname just now) who was also involved in the sea shell business (of all things) for many years. Thom now lives in the UK and wrote a book a few years ago.As you say, it was a great place to poke around.The business is now run by Oliver who is the son of the original owner.

Steve: At my age, I have trouble remembering what I ate at breakfast this morning. I don't remember either name, though. I had to call a number and make an appointment, and it seemed to me that the guy who opened up the place and took my order was the principal. I could be wrong. I do know he treated me royally, probably because I used to buy $10,000 or more in stuff for the gift shop each trip in there. This was back in the days of sanctions, and certain products could not be imported from RSA into the States, such as anything of ostrich.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
Which place is the one that is owned by an older Portuguese gentleman, who has all his old trophies- lions, etc. on display, and also has stacks of cheetah, lion and leopard skins for sale (or did a few years ago). I bought a bunch of stuff there that we still enjoy...

"Are you gonna pull them pistols,...or whistle Dixie??"

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does any one have an address or phone number for Cabanos & Sons? I am in RSA at the moment and would like to go there. I looked in the phone book in Sandton and didn't see a number. I did stop by Bushcraft Trading today.

I will post my hunt report when I return.

one of us
posted Hide Post
338zmag

Try 27 11 315-9411 or 27 11 315-2134/9

11/47 Richards Drive(639 Richards Drive opposite Gallagher Estate)
MIDRAND,1685
P.O. Box 6824, Halfway House, RSA

The above is right off Cambanos & Son's business card.

Good luck!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12866 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mark, but I am now back in the USA. I checked for responses and got the message that the site was pay only, so I couldn't get your message in time to go there. I'll keep the info for my next trip (two years at least). Thanks again.