THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Health Insurance coverage while in Africa.

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Health Insurance coverage while in Africa.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
FYI, This may answer some previously posted insurance questions.

I just called Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Louisiana to see if my health insurance covered me while in Namibia in July. The answer was yes and they are sending a letter to that effect for me to carry while traveling.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1926 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just know that the health care facilities and doctors will not accept your insurance. You will have to pay out of pocket and then file a claim with your insurance when you get home. Be sure to get all the receipts, bills and other documentation. That is how it worked when I had to hospitalized in South Africa a couple of years ago, got most of it reimbursed except for some deductibles.

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, is that good to know. They didn't mention that little detail.

Thanks

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1926 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DC Roxby
posted Hide Post
You may also want to enquire as to whether or not they will cover medical transport back to the States should you require it. This can be very expensive.

I don't shoot elk at 600 yards for the same reasons I don't shoot ducks on the water, or turkeys from their roosts. If this confuses you then you're not welcome in my hunting camp.

Posts: 566 | Location: Ouray, CO | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am currently pricing trip cancellation and air evacuation insurance and intend to buy both.

I am also researching my options for my weapons.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

One of Us
Picture of dla69
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BEGNO:
I am currently pricing trip cancellation and air evacuation insurance and intend to buy both.

I am also researching my options for my weapons.

Please post up the costs that you find for these.

Posts: 535 | Location: Greensburg, PA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DC Roxby
posted Hide Post
Try http://www.insuremytrip.com

I used this service to purchase insurance for my upcoming trip. The insurance I went with was $485.00 for two, including air evacuation, trip cancellation, trip delay, medical coverage, etc.

In my opinion it was a very good deal.

Don

I don't shoot elk at 600 yards for the same reasons I don't shoot ducks on the water, or turkeys from their roosts. If this confuses you then you're not welcome in my hunting camp.

Posts: 566 | Location: Ouray, CO | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MedjetAssist: www.medjetassist.com offers air evacuation insurance. Rates vary depending on time coverage, individual vs family coverage, etc. I purchased 21 days of coverage for my South African hunt this year for $135.

Posts: 152 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 03 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
On their website, BC/BS even has a listing of Dr.'s who are signed up with their plans in foreign countries.

For example in Namibia 36 physicians, all in Windhoek.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Based on recent reports regarding Zimbabwe medical facilities, staff, available drugs, medicines, etc. they are virtually none to be had. Insurance is not much good unless you can receive the medical treatment necessary and in a timely fashion. Would venture to say that evacuation is the prime concern and how quickly you can get to South Africa for treatment.

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote