THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Any hunters with rifles into Vic Falls lately?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any hunters with rifles into Vic Falls lately?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Have a trip coming up in a couple months and being the first into Zim I have questions regarding the rifle clearance upon landing in Vic Falls.
If anyone has been there (Vic Falls airport) hunting lately Id greatly appreciate a rundown of the process and what to expect.

Thanks

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Your PH should have all this arranged before you arrive.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66982 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of robncolorado
posted Hide Post
It’s easy ……. Have your paperwork in order n it’s not a problem

Posts: 558 | Location: Durango, CO | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't lose your mind while the morons are counting each bullet several times waiting for you to get frustrated and pay them off....

Posts: 41785 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
I would suggest that you use a good travel agent like Travel Express (https://www.travelexpressagency.com/firearms/#) or Gracy Travel (https://www.gracytravel.com/) .

Zimbabwe Visitor’s Certificate to Possess Firearms and Ammunition (Form No. FR20) is submitted on arrival. It is recommended to have at least four copies of the completed certificate in hand on arrival. Down load it.

Form No. FR20 – Zimbabwe Visitor’s Certificate to Possess Firearms and Ammunition

Have the correct money for your firearms.

And be patient as they count your bullets. if you take more than one box of ammo, explain that the second box is similar to the first. I showed them on the box that the boxes of ammo were the correct ammo for my rifle.

If traveling through South Africa you will need.
The South Africa Firearm Import Permit (SAPS 520) can be submitted on arrival OR in advance by an expeditor. If you do it yourself, make sure you fill out the permit correctly and have several copies of all required documents. If applying through an expeditor, paperwork must usually be submitted 30 days in advance.

4457 must be unexpired (upper right corner), please double check yours!

SAPS 520 – Blank Copy – South Africa Firearm Import Permit & Instructions

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1576 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana338:
I would suggest that you use a good travel agent like Travel Express (https://www.travelexpressagency.com/firearms/#) or Gracy Travel (https://www.gracytravel.com/) .

Zimbabwe Visitor’s Certificate to Possess Firearms and Ammunition (Form No. FR20) is submitted on arrival. It is recommended to have at least four copies of the completed certificate in hand on arrival. Down load it.

Form No. FR20 – Zimbabwe Visitor’s Certificate to Possess Firearms and Ammunition

Have the correct money for your firearms.

And be patient as they count your bullets. if you take more than one box of ammo, explain that the second box is similar to the first. I showed them on the box that the boxes of ammo were the correct ammo for my rifle.

If traveling through South Africa you will need.
The South Africa Firearm Import Permit (SAPS 520) can be submitted on arrival OR in advance by an expeditor. If you do it yourself, make sure you fill out the permit correctly and have several copies of all required documents. If applying through an expeditor, paperwork must usually be submitted 30 days in advance.

4457 must be unexpired (upper right corner), please double check yours!

SAPS 520 – Blank Copy – South Africa Firearm Import Permit & Instructions

Spot on and very well explained!

Karl Evans

Posts: 2759 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Appreciate the insight guys, thank you.

One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TNTBR:
Appreciate the insight guys, thank you.

I forgot to add that you will need your letter of invite from your PH, who you will be hunting with to fill out the firearms paperwork. Making sure you have his contact address.

With that added. You will need your letter of invite to work with your travel agent that will be forwarded to the expeditor for your firearms permit paperwork.

I have went both ways and did my own paperwork and it is doable, however you are at the end of the line when having your firearm inspected in Joberg. If you are making a connection the same day, you may miss your flight. All hunter who use an expeditor will be ahead of you. That is money well spent, as you are asking.

In Zimbabwe, you will handle your own paperwork and you will need to pay in US dollars, so have some $5 - $10 - $20 with you to pay the exact amount, they do not give change, when they do your permit. Ask your PH how he thinks you should progress through the entry at the airport.

Your bag may or may not be searched, be cool and answer question that they ask. Also, let them know that all your clothing is for your use (if asked), even if you plan to leave some.

Now if you are bring a bottle of your favorite brand to enjoy around the campfire (South Africa only allows 1 bottle) you will be fine. You will have the option of duty free flying from South Africa to Zimbabwe.

All else, be careful if you plan on taking picture(s) in the airport, that has been a no no.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1576 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Vic Falls is no problem. I fly in there routinely with rifles and have less than 12 months ago. Have your paperwork work in order, have patience, all will go fine.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36614 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When your doing your paperwork/clearance in Zim do the inspectors require your ammo to be in factory boxes or can you have your ammo in aftermarket boxes?
I know RSA doesnt care you have handloads in aftermarket boxes but not sure about Zim.

One of Us
Picture of Capt.Purvis
posted Hide Post
Remember the speed limit in Zim is a 20 dollar bill.

Posts: 513 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 09 November 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
When your doing your paperwork/clearance in Zim do the inspectors require your ammo to be in factory boxes or can you have your ammo in aftermarket boxes?
I know RSA doesnt care you have handloads in aftermarket boxes but not sure about Zim.

On multiple flights into Harare, using a plastic box for ammo has never been an issue for me.

Posts: 110 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 07 October 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by England:
quote:

On multiple flights into Harare, using a plastic box for ammo has never been an issue for me.

+1 and yes into VFs as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36614 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Your PH should have all this arranged before you arrive.

Exactly

Who are you hunting with TNTBR?

Posts: 43 | Location: zim | Registered: 01 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does Zimbabwe require a letter of invite as well?

Posts: 58 | Location: Utah | Registered: 17 July 2015Reply With Quote