Find
Notify
Tools

Lounge at Tambo
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Headed for Namibia next May.
Has anyone used the lounge at Tambo International, Johannesburg? I think it's called Bidvest Club Lounge.
On their website it looks like it's around $30.00 for 3 hours.
My wife and I have a 6 hour layover at Tambo and this would burn up 3 of the 6 hours.
Thanks for any information.

MauserK98

Posts: 193 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Use the Premier Club lounge. Through PPT control, turn right, all the way to the end, up the escalator in the right hand corner, at the top turn 180 degrees left & it's right in front of you.

$20 or $30 & they have everything from free snacks & booze, showers, smoking room & internet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
thanks a lot Steve!.i am transiting Tambo in 4 weeks and have 3 hours to kill before off to Kasane. after a 11 hour flight from Heathrow, a shower, smoking room and free booze sounds nice!

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13429 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
thanks a lot Steve!.i am transiting Tambo in 4 weeks and have 3 hours to kill before off to Kasane. after a 11 hour flight from Heathrow, a shower, smoking room and free booze sounds nice!

As far as I know, there's no time limit on how long you stay either. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"As far as I know , there is no time limit on how long you stay either". Steve, can I spend a couple of days and overnight right there? Sounds like it beats going elsewhere in JB?? Wink Hoping Portugal stays peaceful and all the best to you and yours.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:

As far as I know, there's no time limit on how long you stay either. Big Grin

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Larry

Great idea but I think they close after the last departure of the night!

Things are now going well for us here...... the hunting, although not publicised much is great and crime is pretty much unheard of in this area at least. Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Use the Premier Club lounge. Through PPT control, turn right, all the way to the end, up the escalator in the right hand corner, at the top turn 180 degrees left & it's right in front of you.

$20 or $30 & they have everything from free snacks & booze, showers, smoking room & internet.

As Shakari says above it is the Bidvest Premier Lounge. I think I saw a time linit mentioned somewhere, I thought it was 6 hours [but could have been 3?] It is pretty quiet, has power outlets around, wifi is included, as are food and drinks. If you have a LONG layover it is a nice way to spend some of the time. [otherwise a bit of shopping and a visit to the book store will chew up a lot of any layovers.]

[If you are going to overnight, there is a "City Lodge" on top of the parking structure, as well as Afton House and African Skies [?] Guest House.]

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Someone asked about this lounge last year and this was my answer:
quote:
Several years ago I flew into Jburg and had 4 or five hours to kill. I found that there was a lounge adjacent to the SAA first class lounge that charged $40 for an unlimited stay.

For $40 you got all you could eat and drink(snacks and a good selection of soda and beer and alcohol), free internet, telephone and TV use, free massages(tips accepted, of course) and comfortable sofas.

But the best part for me were the bathrooms and showers.

There is nothing like taking care of the three S's after 25 hours of flying.

I thought that it was the best $40 I have ever spent.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was there in June & made the mistake of mentioning that I had a 7 hour layover. They told me that there was a 3 hr. limit w/o paying $30 again. I think that's a flexible rule...they ever came back to me for more money. Be sure to ask them at the desk for the wifi key.

posted Hide Post
This is probably a stupid question, but oh well. With this being a lounge, is there an age limit? I will be traveling through JNB next May with my 15 year old son. We arrive early in the morning from Frankfurt and don't catch our connecting flight until mid afternoon. It'd be nice to have a place for both of us to catch a shower.

Posts: 584 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: 13 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I guess you'll have to pay the full price for him but am sure they won't have a problem with his age.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Before you pay you may want to see if you can use your airline club pass or your status. Every airline I fly lets those with Gold status or higher get into their lounges when flying internationally. Or you can use your regular club membership.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
Before you pay you may want to see if you can use your airline club pass or your status. Every airline I fly lets those with Gold status or higher get into their lounges when flying internationally. Or you can use your regular club membership.

A Platinum AMEX will also likely get you in one of the lounges.

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Greensboro, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Delta has a reciprocal arrangement with Air France-if you are flying Business class its comped.

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used the lounge there a couple of weeks ago, took a shower and my buddies did get on the internet. Well worth the money.

And, I can also recommed the Prawns at the Ocean Basket at the airport. Very Good. tu2

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
FWIW, The restaurants downstairs such as Ocean Basket etc will even bring your order up to you in the lounge if you prefer to eat there as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
FWIW, The restaurants downstairs such as Ocean Basket etc will even bring your order up to you in the lounge if you prefer to eat there as well.

I did not know that. The prawns are DANGEROUS!

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
If you think the Ocean Basket prawns are good just wait till you taste proper LM prawns cooked fresh from the sea in Mozambique...... they'll knock your socks off! tu2

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you think the Ocean Basket prawns are good just wait till you taste proper LM prawns cooked fresh from the sea in Mozambique...... they'll knock your socks off! tu2

With a little sprinkle of "peri-peri" and a splash of brandy,garlic butter sauce. Roll Eyes

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scriptus:
quote:

With a little sprinkle of "peri-peri" and a splash of brandy,garlic butter sauce. Roll Eyes

Oh yes! tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
We did have some Prawns and some Squid at the airport in Beria.

They were good.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote