New
Find
Notify
Tools

Air France
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm traveling on Air France to Joberg in Oct. They have a 62 inch limit on bagage. My SKB gun case may go over this limit. The ticket agent said I would have to pay $150 more for the case. Has this happen to anyone flying air France with a rifle. Tickey agent said plastic ammo boxes were ok and ammo could be put in the rifle box or checked bagage. Any info on the above would be greatly appreciated

Posts: 472 | Location: Bothell WA | Registered: 31 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Measure your guncase accurately. If it exceeds the overall length limit and you are stuck with Air France, get a takedown shotgun case. Take your action out of the stock and re-assemple it when you arrive in camp. Make sure you sight it in again but most outfitters have you sight in anyway. This not only confirms the gun but the outfitter likes to know if the client can at least shoot off the bench.

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
I just flew back from Jo'burg to Altlanta on Air France via Paris last week.

Make sure you have the pre-arranged approval on your record with them to take your rifles and ammuntion. This can be done over the phone. The approval has to be in your record and they actually print the word "Weapon" on your boarding passes. Call at least two weeks in advance and call again (and again) to find out if you are approved.

You need to give them the weight and dimensions of the rifle and the gun case, and the weight, type, and count of the ammuntion.

Now about putting the ammuntion in the gun case. This may cause you problems if you go through Paris/Charles De Gaulle. Apparently Air France does not have a problem with it, nor does TSA. But the security people at Charles De Gaulle Airport WILL NOT allow your luggage to be loaded on board the airplane if ammuntion is packed with the firearm. Even if your rifle is in a take-down case in the bottom compartment of a duffel bag and the ammo is completely separate in the top compartment of the duffel.

I spent a frustrating 45 minutes watching six French guys arguing about this and almost missed my flight.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Donato,

As PSmith has said Air France is really not a problem with guns as long as you jump through the hoops that he laid out for you. Don't even think about arguing with security at CD in Paris. I had a small exchange with the woman cop in charge. There is not wiggle room. Just do whatever your told.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12867 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have traveld with them four times with rifles to and from Johannesburg.
As PSmith says, contact them in advance and tell them you will be traveling with sporting rifles.
They want size and weight on the case, make and serial # on rifle.
This must be registred in your electronic itinerary, otherwise they will not let you check in in the first place.

The max size limit does not apply on rifle cases, as they are special luggage.
At least that is what Air France here in Norway told me, and it sertanly worked out that way.
Ammo in plastic ammo box is ok, and it must be in the checked in luggage.

As long as you play by their rules, there are no problems.

Be aware of their weight limit when cheking in at Johannesburg. They had me to repack my duffle bag as it was 2 kilos overweight.
It was ok to put some more stuff in my cabin luggage and they newer weighted that one, but my duffle had to be within the limits on the gram....

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote