Find
Notify
Tools

Best tasting African game
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
I loved kongoni filets, but my 16 foot croc smelled so bad even the maggots were
gagging...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot a leopard back in 1994 and my ph traded a ham for a tank of gas for his cruiser. He said the blacks believed it great for putting lead in your pencil. Wasn't interested in trying the meat and didn't need the lead at the time. Gotta admit, I'm more game for trying the meat next time I take a big tom, the lead also would be a welcome treat!

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Eland is really good and it's been said many times it may be the best. But I really enjoyed gemsbuck and Mtn. zebra steaks.

I'm glad I tried elephant but I noticed I was the only one at the table eating it.

Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I really liked the elephant backstrap I tried but maybe it's because I shot it and worked hard for it. Which part did you eat Kyler and how was it cooked?

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
As of the last trip it was finely ground and breaded Cape Buffalo burgers. Literally melted in your mouth!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
For me it's a tie between bush pig and eland.

Swift, Silent, & Friendly

Posts: 426 | Location: Nevada | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sevenmagltd, you will love your Leopard backstrap. I got my tom in April and the cook did it like snitzel or chicken fried steak take your choice of terms. We also had Zebra prepared the same way and served with a wedge of lemon and it was the best Zebra I had ever had. come to think of it the cook liked to fry most every thing, what isn't good fried. Wink

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kayaker:

Most game I have found to be good. The only really gamey meat I have had was from a Nyala - but it was gut-shot and ran a while- could have had an effect.

kayaker has it exactly right here. Meat from a wounded, and particularly a gutshot, animal is just good for donation to mother-in-laws!

Except for old giraffe bulls, and maybe some others that I do not know [?], any game that was relaxed and unsuspecting before getting a DRT [Dead Right There or "BangFlop"] shot has great tasting potential. Taking overly long to remove sotmach and bleeding it, like long photographic sessions, or delayed cooling of the carcass can spoil or deminish the taste potential.

Another very important factor is a long walk in search and stalk closer hunt. After all it is said: "Hunger is the best cook!"

My vote goes for a springbuck female shot through the head while actually fast asleep! Best, by very far, fillets I've ever had!

In good hunting.

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gas57
posted Hide Post
Tenderloin of fresh kudu on the BBQ, followed by wildebeast tenderloin, and next was guinea fowl. They were all very, very tasty!

When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults!

Posts: 903 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try a Pofadder -- not the snake to be sure, although that may be edible. The true Pofadder dish is the last meter of an antelope's large intestine (gemsbok is best IMO). CLEAN it out and stuff with the heart, liver and kidneys of the beast along with some sheep fat. Cook slowly for two hours or so over hardwood (mopane) coals. Slice and serve as an appetizer followed by gemsbok steaks. (Chloresterol consumed more than 5,000 miles from home does not count...)

Regards

Posts: 1320 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Knew a Pofadder picture was in the camera:

Regards

Posts: 1320 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Body filters and intestinal parts need not apply here. thumbdown

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed the liver from our elephant we shot in April-a bit grainer than beef liver but pretty danged good

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lots of great meats ... but the best to my taste buds was Eland, Gemsbock and Zebra.

Hit the buf on the last day and never got to taste any of him. He was given to a local high school for a traditional graduation ceremony. Glad that he didn't go to waste, but would sure like to have had a taste.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In order of preference
eland
warthog leg
impala stew
zebra roast

Forget bloody camel!!

Australia
I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of drought and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel-sea,
Her beauty and her terror
The wide brown land for me!

Posts: 302 | Location: Australia | Registered: 09 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaldMummy
posted Hide Post
Ok as a South African Lad .. here is my list

SpringBok Fillet/ and Kudu a close second or maybe Bush Buck
Then Wildebees and Eland.

I just like things that go BANG!!!

Posts: 34 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 24 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaldMummy
posted Hide Post
Ok ... actually .. pretty much anything cooked in the bush ... that was hunted on a trip with good mates.

and a cold beer.

Food just tastes better grilled over a hardwood fire in the African Bush.

I just like things that go BANG!!!

Posts: 34 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 24 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Kudu liver is also very tasty.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had Kudu, Gemsbok, Smoked Ele (was from an old bull), and Hartmans Zebra. The only one I didn't much care for was the Elephant. Favorite though had to be the Gemsbok. The Zebra Schnitzel was mighty fine though.

Yes it's cocked, and it has bullets too!!!

Posts: 582 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eland Filet...

No organs here.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Talia from Universiteit van die Vrystaat.

Wink

Otherwise, Imapala and Kudu, especially Impala liver and onions.

Posts: 895 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forgot to mention hommade kudu cottage pie, compliments of Ananja Bamberger of Warthog Safaris...

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Warthog! Damn that meat is good. Like sweet fine grained pork

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6624 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of duggaboybuff
posted Hide Post
Eland , followed by bushbuck, then Kudu biltong!

Posts: 411 | Location: australia | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I havn't tasted eland, and it must be good, but reedbuck fillet cooked over the fire on a shis-k-bob to your liking and a cold Kilamanjro beer is world class fare Dr.C thumb

At Home on the Range-Texas Panhandle

one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Another nomination for Lichtenstein's Hartebeest or Kongoni....especially the cold left overs about 9 or 10 in the morning.

Dig a little out of the cooler and douse liberally with Tabasco sauce, no bread just pop it in. Even if you do not get on the buff that day it is all right.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Eland, kudu, wart hog, impala. Awesome!

The mopane worms were okay I guess.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
My first five choices:
Eland.
Eland.
Eland.
Eland.
Springbok.

I ate a backstrap fillet from my lion, and it tasted exactly like the mountain lions and bobcats I've eaten here in Arizona. It's OK, but I wouldn't stand in a long line for it.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote