New
Find
Notify
Tools

Delta/ATL/Amsterdam/JNB
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anybody taken this route? any problems with rifles transferred through Amsterdam?

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you need/want to fly through Amsterdam for a special reason?

Connecting through Amsterdam takes a long trip and makes it twice as long.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't necessarily want to, but when searching Delta.com it showed being $700 cheaper.

I swore I'd never give Emirates any of my $$$, but their July flights are about $500 cheaper than the ATL/JBurg direct.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look at the total flight time. Direct is 16 hours, indirect is 23 hours. Generally there is not that much of a price difference. What time of year are you flying?

But to answer your question, since you are not changing carriers, it should not be a problem checking your bags straight through however there may be additional paperwork and permits to address. Best to always check with Delta as they change the rules from time to time.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scheduled to hunt Namibia in July 2016.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Flown through Amsterdam to Tanzania multiple times.

If the paperwork is done right it is no issue. You need to get permits through Dutch customs in advance even for transiting guns. They do not do this until shortly before you fly.

Gracy has gotten everything done for me without issues, so I would recommend that service.

The airport is nice, and breaking up the flight is nice, but I would think that the difference in price does not justify the additional bureaucracy involved in the flights. Like any European nation, when things work, it's seamless, but I have heard some horror stories as well.

Posts: 10661 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In order to catch the flight into Windhoek you will also need to add a night in JNB. So as long as you have lots of time on both ends, saving $700 might be worth it, but that's a lot of time in airports and in the air.

For me, 16 hours is painful enough.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
In order to catch the flight into Windhoek you will also need to add a night in JNB. So as long as you have lots of time on both ends, saving $700 might be worth it, but that's a lot of time in airports and in the air.

For me, 16 hours is painful enough.

My normal route is Dallas/ATL/JNB. I have to overnight anyway at Africa Sky in J'burg. As you guys say, it's probably not worth the hassle and extra time just to save a few $$$.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dont go through Amsterdam if Jo-burg is your destination. Yes, there is a gun hassle if passing through Amsterdam. A Dutch Consent form is required. Best to let a travel agent deal with obtaining the form. Travel wise take the direct flight to joburg.

Tim

one of us
posted Hide Post
Like CR, I have flown through AMS when hunting Tanz. I also flew through AMS to JNB on business 18 months ago, primarily because I needed the extra miles for my status.

The real advantage of ATL - JNB is significantly less jet lag. You can sleep on the flight over, since it is night your time. Sure, it isn't like a bed, but it means you can sleep for a while, then stay up. You land late afternoon, get your stuff, have dinner and go to sleep. No jet lag.

The AMS route means you must be on the earlier flights to Europe, which is 3pm or so from MSP or DTW. You are not tired at that time, but you are six or seven hours later, which is when you are landing in AMS. You generally have a long layover (I know you do to Dar), then a ten to eleven hour flight, on which you better not sleep or you won't sleep that night. Alas, after being up so long, it is almost impossible to stay up. You end up sleeping and viola: you are wide awake when it is time to go to bed.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7572 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JGRaider:
Anybody taken this route? any problems with rifles transferred through Amsterdam?

As other have said you need Dutch customs forms for the firearms - but you need these for both legs, not just the once.

No one will tell you this when you book - this caught me out when flying back from Vienna - we worked things through - but I really have no idea how!

Its a good airport to go though but with firearms I'd say Frankfurt is easier - and it has a direct flight to Windhoek.

Posts: 196 | Location: The frozen north of Scotland | Registered: 01 July 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Con: It's far from AMS to JNB. Real far. Saving a few bucks may not be worth it considering the physical toll of several more hours on a plane.

Pro: You may be able to upgrade to business class for far less money than on a ATL to JNB flight. In July, we upgraded on the way home for 300 Euros and 30k miles each.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know the current situation, but some of the African hunting books I've read warned readers to be careful of shipping guns through Amsterdam and London (especially).

One author flew through Amsterdam quite regularly during the 2008-2010 period, and his rifle was almost always late in getting to Dar Es Salaam.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote