New
Find
Notify
Tools

CPAP use in new Delta seats
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Leaving Sept 19 for first trip. Shawn at Gracy has me booked on the new Delta "economy upgrade" seats. Anyone know what power is available in those seats? I would really like to be able to use my CPAP on the flight if possible.

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 482 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
drj

Iused my CPAP on BA with no problem but I think I would call Delta direct and find out from them. I expect you'll be able to plug it in just like at home.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12869 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I just flew Delta 200 and 201 to JNB and back from ATL. The power outlet is on the seat post underneath the right armrest (about 14" off of the floor) and is amenable to a regular U.S. plug.

I used my machine with absolutely no problems.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7545 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
Whats CPAP????

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (for sleep apnea)

Posts: 482 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So, JudgeG, you were able to use your regular 110 v cord on the plane in Economy Comfort?

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
That is correct. The seats also have headrests that you can contour to your head. I found that with the extra recline that my head didn't "fall" forward when I was asleep and the contoured headrest made the whole set-up quite comfortable. I didn't even use my pillow except as a "huggie". Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by drj:
So, JudgeG, you were able to use your regular 110 v cord on the plane in Economy Comfort?

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So what happened to the plugs?

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I am remiss. I should have already told you the results.

About 3/4th the way to JNB, the flight attendant announced that many of the video screens (and the main entertainment computer) needed a reboot. The announcement awoke me. I was comfortably using my machine plugged into the A/C power.

When the reboot was accomplished, it screwed up my Bi-PAP and made it start beeping like crazy. I guess I could have reset it if I could have seen to do so, but in the dark and crowded in the middle seat and being groggy from sleep, I was fumbling around and couldn't do it. I just shut it off and used the two remaining nose inserts you gave me. (I'd semi-successfully tested the other two at home).

They kept me asleep for another two or three hours. I guess they worked well enough because I didn't get a sharp elbow from my daughter. Big Grin

Because I need a Bi-Pap instead of a CPAP my doctor told me that the inserts couldn't be a permanent substitute, but he said to have at it on the plane... which I did, and got some rest.

Thanks!

In anyone wants to know the difference in CPAP and BiPAP, go here BiPAP v. CPAP

And here's something for those of you who may not be able to use a mask Mask alternative that looks promising!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JudgeG, did you use a car/marine battery while in camp with an adapter or did you take your own battery? My PH says he can get me a marine battery for about $300 and I have not found a reliable battery to transport back and forth for any less. Thanks for any advice

one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
The economy upgrade seats have one single outlet between each two seats.

I would suggest that you bring an adaptor that you can plug in that has two or three outlets.

When I flew it in July the guy next to me wanted to use his computer at the same time that I wanted to use mine. We had to take turns.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I've been six or so times in the last three years since I got a BiPAP machine. The first time I took a small 12 volt battery that is make specifically for my machine. It was about the size of a cigar box and fit inside the carry case. The VA provided it. TSA never said a word about it except when going through screening. I told them it was medically necessary and they said "fine".

The second time, Lou Hallamore just removed the car battery each evening and I used that. He had a spare that we changed out every day... then went to every other day since it would last through two nights.

Since then, Lou brought to camp his charger for his bass boat and while the generator was on each morning, the battery has been charged.

At Matetsi this year, we had a battery standing by, but the grid was up and I just used a converter for the Zim female socket.

quote:
Originally posted by drj:
JudgeG, did you use a car/marine battery while in camp with an adapter or did you take your own battery? My PH says he can get me a marine battery for about $300 and I have not found a reliable battery to transport back and forth for any less. Thanks for any advice