THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Problems with Customs personnel

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Problems with Customs personnel
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I know this isn't the correct place for this but I thought it the best. It could happen to anyone.

I just returned yesterday from an ibex hunt in Spain. We had severe problems at Customs which caused us delays that resulted in us missing our flight.

This guy was intentionally doing everything possible to delay us. One of the reasons I say this is that there was not another passenger in the inspection area. He took forever and did everything possible as slow as possible. My girlfriend an attorney for the US Bankruptcy Courts. She is a Fed herself. She was infuriated by this moron's behavior.

What would be your advice about filing a complaint about this guy?

Posts: 11975 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Although lately I've been lucky, I dislike customs officials in the extreme. Some of them are born assholes and others receive advanced training to get there. I am fully empathetic with your anger but think you have no shot at accomplishing anything unless you're well connected with a political big wig. Good luck and I hope the SOB gets fired. Do you think it was because of your being on a hunting trip?

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know either, but it would be nice to know. While it's too long ago to do anything about it, I too had a problem with a jerk in customs at Atlanta.

I was returning from South Africa, in the case was a Remington 700 (bolt removed) and a sidelock percussion muzzleloader.

The doofus looked at my paperwork and had me open the two gun case. He checked the serial numbers on the bolt action rifle and then started to berate me about not having the action on the other rifle opened to prove it was unloaded.

I explained to him that it was unloaded, that there was NO action to open, that there was no percussion cap on the nipple, therefore incapable of firing. Still he wanted me to open the action!

I removed the Hawken style muzzleloader from the case (he wouldn't touch it) and explained again that the gun wasn't capable of having an opened action (fixed breech design) unless he happened to have a hacksaw in his back pocket. He wanted me to prove to him the gun was unloaded.

I explained the loading process for a traditional muzzleloader, again showed him the nipple where the percussion cap fit on, and he demanded that I prove to him the gun was unloaded!

I removed the ramrod and dropped it down the barrel, where it hit the breech with a resounding metallic thunk, showed him the lines I had scribed on the gun to show loaded and unloaded ramrod depths. That wasn't good enough for him and he told me that I had to open the action or prove to him that the gun wasn't loaded. If I couldn't do this, he was going to confiscate the gun!!!

At this point I was a little pissed and started once again to explain to him how the gun worked, how it was loaded and he just stood there, glaring at me, not hearing a word I was saying.

Finally I decided I knew how to prove the gun was unloaded.

Before he could stop me, I raised the muzzle to the ceiling, pulled the hammer back and pulled the trigger!

He was pissed off as hell and threatened me with arrest and confiscation of ALL my luggage at that point! I told him that IF I was arrested and detained, that when it was over, I'd file a civil suit against him, cost him his job and half his future earnings due to his ignorance of firearms!!!!

He let me through.....

But I should have filed a complaint.

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Youth!

Anyone growing up watching Davey Crockett would know better.

I live only a mile from the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center and know lots of the instructors. Many are in my gun club and are great guys. I'll pass along the story and I'm sure that it will become one of the legends of stupidity that they relate to their students.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7545 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
I agree with the attitude with some of the customs guys. Most I have dealt with were quite nice and provided I had my things in order, they did not cause me any problems. I have had to deal with some that were very difficult. As bad as they treat us, think how difficult it is for our PH friends who have to deal with these guys when they enter the US to begin the show circut. Last year my PH was forced to empty all the contents of his luggage on the table for inspection. The same thing happended to all the other PH's on that flight. Once customs discovered that these guys were in the hunting industry they were all moved to a different line and were all searched very heavily. Anything they had that looked like bone or hair was taken from them.

I understand that these guys have a job and I thank them for what they do. I do however believe that all people entering the US should be treated with respect. I also feel they should have educated people in the crew to help with things like guns so people who have done nothing wrong do not get delayed with the customs process.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
November 2008, returning from Tajikistan through New York, Customs officer very friendly and courteous. He wanted to know all about the hunt.

October 2009, returning from Ethiopia through Washington D.C., Customs officer did not want the gun case opened. He ran the serial number from the 4457. Once again, very friendly and courteous.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9372 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At least you are not dealing with some of the "finest" in foreign countries. A Zambian Customs official held me at bay until I paid a "facilitation" fee to ensure my firearms were loaded on an outward plane. Caused a flight delay and almost cost us the return trip. Try Indonesia, Argentina or Nigeria sometime.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd file a complaint on him. He's got a job to do and goofing around while doing should get him complained on.

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Shof, did you ask to speak with a supervisor? While I think it is important to always be courteous and resonable, when getting harrassed by any travel related employee, customs or otherwise, I don't think anyone should tolerate it without protestation. If that idiot simply was ignorant, then his supervisor could have handled the question on your muzzleloader and sent you on your way. If he had an agenda, i.e. anti-hunting, then he needs to be taken to task and prosecuted. Having a customs badge DOES NOT give one the right to express their own personal views upon you and should never be tolerated if you are in the right.

Posts: 3856 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry

I was held up by customs morons in SEA on my last return from Cameroon. I missed my connection and the next flight, getting on the 3rd. The problem was that I had more firearms on my 4457 than I had with me.

God I am sick of my fellow americans.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
SHOF

A time or two we had problems coming back from Canada. I keep in my carry on all TSA, etc. rules in a file folder . If given a difficult time I will state my case very politely then ask for a supervisor. I address the person by their name mention the date and time as now I always carry a recorder and turn it on while approaching a gate, customs, ticket agent etc.

Next time remove the nipple and hammer.

LARRY.. You should file a complaint.

Elton Rambin

Elton Rambin
Mail/Ship: 1802 Horse Hollow Rd.
Barksdale, Texas 78828
Phone: 479 461 3656
Ranch: 830-234-4366
Check our Hunt & Class Schedule
at
www.ftwoutfitters.com

4 Rules of Gun Safety
1/ Treat all guns as though they are loaded.
2/ Never point the muzzle at anything you do not want to shoot.
3/ Do not put your finger on trigger until your sights are on target and you are ready to shoot.
4/ Be sure of your target and safe background.

Posts: 268 | Location: Western Arkansas/Barksdale,TX. USA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I, knock wood, have never had any trouble with the panty sniffers. One time when they checked the SN's on the rifles, my springfield 1903 came back as a 12ga shotgun: they looked at the rifle; back at their screen, shrugged their shoulders and past me on.

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote