Find
Notify
Tools

Scotch from Duty Free
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted
Got into a discussion this weekend and wondered what you seasoned Africa travel folks have learned.

We will fly thorough Heathrow into Jo-berg and on the Windhoek with no overnights on the ground.

Does it matter if I snag some Scotch from Heathrow or should I wait for Jo-berg?

We will be on British Airways into Jo-berg and then on a partner Comair so my bags will be checked through.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
If you have time, and I were you, I'd buy my booze on the last leg of my flight. You never can tell what security will do with liquids purchased elsewhere. The duty free in JNB main concourse has has 20-30 choices of Scotch to include many popular single malts.

But, of course, I don't drink Scotch and never have been to Africa. Big Grin

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7545 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with the Judge.

The duty free at Jo'berg has a very good scotch selection. Big Grin

In fact they have a very good selection of Spirits.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
The Judge has got it right. Prices aren't any cheaper in the DF bur choices are much greater than most places in SA.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

First find out how much liqour you can take on the connecting flights to your final hunting destination.

As other have said the duty free in JNB will probably have what you need. I don't know what you like or how much but you can only buy one bottle per person in Heathrow. If you let Laura know what you like she can probably get it at Manda Hill in Lusaka. Barista maybe able to do the same with enough notice. That way you don't need to bother with it.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12873 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with the Judge. On our way back from Namibia, we bought a couple of bottles of Amarula at the df in Windhoek. In Frankfurt, they made us trash them, because they didn't comply with EU transport regulations (sealed bag). Mad Frowner Frowner

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
remember that it has to be in checked baggage. 3 0z is the limit on carry on, and even though the salesman at the airport says its OK, it isn't

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We could never find Glenlivet in JNB, so, we bring ours from St. Thomas in our checked bags.

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Bought some whiskey in the Duty free in Amsterdam. I carried it on the plane in a sealed clear plastic bag.
Also check the duty free sites in the airports you will be landing in to see what they carry.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd have had a mini-party w/those two bottles beer

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
But how would JG know? He's never been to Africa and he doesn't drink???

Wink

Collins

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And Bears don't SH*T in the woods! Big Grin

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450/400
posted Hide Post
I tried to buy some at JNB and didn't because they said I couldn't take it to Namibia. I tried both shops and more than one salesperson..no luck.

Do what Bryan said, take it in your checked bag if possible.

Posts: 675 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 26 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Collins:
But how would JG know? He's never been to Africa and he doesn't drink???

He reads the AR forums.

- Lars/Finland

A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

Posts: 552 | Location: Finland | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JudgeG,

you just set off all the smoke alarms in my house with that one!!!

BFMFL*!! Category I.

Rich

Big Fat Mo--er F--king Lie

You and Will Rogers. "all's I know is what I read in the papers...".

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted Hide Post
We had the same issue buying DF in Namibia. Frankfurt security made us ditch it. Bummer! The DF guys there must have some great parties and liquor cabinets.

Posts: 583 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 08 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have carried 2 liters of Laphroaig Single Malt Scotch from Jo'berg to Zim three times...

No Problems.

PS Judge G has been to Africa many times...

We were on the same plane one time.

If you are going to carry "Spirits" in your checked bags try to find either some Nalgene "plastic" bottles, or some Brunton or SIG aluminium "bottles" that are treated inside to carry liquor.

I have never had any of them leak.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote