New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ammo containers/SAA
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What would you all recommend to hold ammo that meets the SAA requirements?

Posts: 11959 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Larry:

I used a plastic Smith & Wesson pistol case that had a place for a lock. It was small and light. I removed the ammo from the factory boxes and packed it loose to take up less space. I toyed with the idea of a pelican case or similar, but the weight and size were drawbacks. SAA did not ask me to display my ammo a single time, nor did they ask if it was in a separate case.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by safari-lawyer:
Larry:

I removed the ammo from the factory boxes and packed it loose to take up less space. .

I wouldn't recommend that as the regulations state that every round be kept separate from every other round. (for very good reason). I'm also very suprised you got away with it and the fact that you did shows a massive flaw in the security system of wherever you flew from and (possibly) through.

I'd recommend either MTM plastic boxes or manufacturers packaging and then packed into a locked box.

This might help: http://www.shakariconnection.c...l-with-firearms.html

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd recommend either MTM plastic boxes or manufacturers packaging and then packed into a locked box.

This is what I am doing, ammo in factory boxes and in a locked box in checked baggage. The lock box I got was from Cabela's and has 2 lockable clips, cost around $28.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will:

That is a great idea. I even have a couple.

I will leave the ammo in the boxes though.

LS

Posts: 11959 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Larry,

You might like to check with the airline that a plastic container complies with their regs as some airlines specifically ask for a locked METAL box.

It's actually a silly and dangerous requirement but nevertheless, it is a common requirement.

one of us
posted Hide Post
As Steve said, the rounds must be individually seperated. Very clearly spelled out in TSA regs. Use factory or similar type boxes.

I use a Pelican 1200 case which perfectly holds 5 boxes (100 rounds total) of .375 H&H ammo in factory or MTM type boxes.

In July, we saw SAPS in Jo'Burg and PE remove ammo from rifle/luggage cases and then place them in a plastic bag to ship seperately if the hunter did not have his ammo in a seperate case. I gave my left over ammo to my PH but one of our group had unused ammo and he had to ship it on its own. Our group all used the Pelican 1200 for ammo so it was no problem. When landing at Dulles, we saw clear plastic bags of ammo going around on the luggage carousels.

All of our bags were broken into either at PE or Jo'Burg. Locks cut and contents gone through. A cell phone and charger were stolen from one of our group. DO NOT leave any valuables in your checked bags when heading to or through RSA.

RCG

Posts: 1129 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a cheap plastic tackle box that is just the right size for four boxes of ammo and has a place to put a padlock and lock it and will put this inside my checked bags. I leave on Sept. 21 for J'Burg, will let you know If it works out or not

Posts: 273 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
I found a great metal box, with locks, at Sportsman's Warehouse. It is aluminum, costs less than $50.00 and is suited for cameras or other optics, but I simply took out some of the foam rubber and put my ammo, in it's original boxes, into the case and locked it. Had no problems whatsoever.

Those boxes come in various sizes, are chrome and green colored if that helps. They have them back in the hunting department.

Posts: 3855 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found a metal box with locks at OfficeMax, just the right size for 4 boxes of ammo 458 size. Lightweight, cost about $14.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I've used a number of different cases from metal to plastic and I have settled on and used the Cabelas black heavy plastic case. It will hold all of the ammo that you need for safari. Cabelas order no. IK-215353, Ammo Travel Case.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a double pistol SKB case and it held five boxes of ammo perfectly. Did not keep JoBerg thiefs from rifling thru my locked duffle. Did not take anything but destroyed the ability to lock the Filson.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In late May/Early June, I used a metal box inside a smaller Pelican case packed with ammo. Locked the metal box but taped the key to it. Used two TSA combo locks on the Pelican case.

Ammo was packed in MTM boxes inside the metal box. Had "commercial" labels on it.

The outer box did have a brass plate specifying the tare weight (as suggested in a post by Saeed). Pelican case was a separate piece of luggage.

Was a day late getting into Jo'burg from Amsterdam. Did make it to me the following day. Made it back into the US with no problem.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brice:
I found a metal box with locks at OfficeMax, just the right size for 4 boxes of ammo 458 size. Lightweight, cost about $14.

Me too! thumb

Two boxes of .458 and two boxes of 9.3x74 fit in easily.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7544 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote