THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Bringing .450 no 2 NE barrels/reamer to South Africa

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bringing .450 no 2 NE barrels/reamer to South Africa
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Good day members
I need advice please. I will be purchasing a set of double rifle barrels and a reamer , .450 no 2 NE caliber next year. My brother in law is visiting as well and I want him to bring these items with to South Africa. Can he bring it as additional luggage? Will it be a problem at customs? What is the correct procedures?

I really would appreciate your advice.

Regards

Gert

Posts: 113 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 22 August 2012Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Where is your brother flying from?

I wouldn't think a reamer would an issue. It's just a piece of tooling.

The barrels on the other hand may present a problem. Some countries regulate the exportation of firearms parts.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
It will not matter what the laws state--it will depend on the attitude of the official who examines your baggage. I absolutely would not do this.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I believe that South Africa considers barrels as the registered part of the firearm.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12549 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the replies. I am currently doing some research regarding this issue. I am in contact with USA customs to hear what items are falling under the ERA regulations, I am sure I will get an answer in this regards...I will keep you up to date...

Posts: 113 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 22 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You can't export barrels from the US without a permit. Into SA, I do not know.

Posts: 17133 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the replies. I manage to get all the required documentation/procedures to bring the rifle barrels from USA to South Africa. All procedures are according to USA export laws and South African import/custom laws /SAP procedures. When I receive the barrels and reamers I will give some feedback.It seems a not too difficult process you just need to do some research.