Find
Notify
Tools

Tags for Trophies
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of DC Roxby
posted
I want to make some laminated tags to attach to the capes and skulls during our hunt. What info should I put on these? I will obviously want my name and contact info, but I'm not sure what address to use. Should I use the address of the import broker, the tannery, or the final destination which is my home?

We are having trophies shipped to Dallas using Hunter International. The trophies will be transferred to South Texas Fur Dressers, and then shipped to me on completion.

Anyone have a source for pre-made tags?

Thanks!

I don't shoot elk at 600 yards for the same reasons I don't shoot ducks on the water, or turkeys from their roosts. If this confuses you then you're not welcome in my hunting camp.

Posts: 566 | Location: Ouray, CO | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Tags for your trophies should be prepared by your PH. He would know what information you need on them.

On all my hunts, I have not done any tags myself

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67049 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you asked your taxidermist? I use Jerry Huffaker and he sends me a bunch of tags before I leave.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My taxidermist supplies me with the tags as well.

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CARLOSTHEJACKAL
posted Hide Post
Your taxidermist should get the tags for you.

NRA Life Member
DSC Life Member

Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
Ronald Reagan

Posts: 486 | Location: SE TEXAS | Registered: 26 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
99% of the time this is overlooked: on the back of your tags, put your animals measurements; length of each horn, circ. of bases, # of points, skull length/width. If your tag comes loose or gets mixed up with others, you won't have a problem. Also, each animal you take should be numbered, even if you do it in a note pad. Write that number on each skull. Having lost an Nyala and Bushbuck due to mix up (or outright theft swapping) I speak from experience. NEVER put your home address on anything visable. It's information a local criminal is looking for: "This guy is a big hunter. He must have lots of guns and money in his home". Your shipments will go through Customs, Broker or not, have them forwarded to the Tannery or your Taxidermist. Just a minor precaution that could save you big time.
LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
The tags I supply to clients have my contact information on one side. On the other side is the hunters name and the shipping destination address and phone number (Fauna & Flora for example).

Tags are not absolutely necessary as your PH will tag your trophies too. However, this is my take on it: By putting your own tags on the trophies, it is less likely they will be mixed up with another hunters trophies while they are in storage at the camp. The reason is these extra tags will make all of your trohies stand out from others. All of the Ph's tags will look the same (just a different name or number on it)but there is only a small chance of another hunter having the same tags as you. This goes for the dip and pack stage as well. The dip and pack taxidermist will probably tag them too but the more that better. Some may be removed or damaged by the dipping process but out of all the tags and numbers, there should be no ACCIDENTAL mix-ups!

If someone wants to swap or steal your trophies no tags will prevent this, I think it just adds another bit of insurance to prevent an accidental mix-up.

the above tip on recording measurements on a note pad is not a bad idea.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DC Roxby
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the good ideas. My taxidermist does not supply tags unfortunately. I definitely like the idea of recording measurements so that you have some way of verifying what you receive.

I don't shoot elk at 600 yards for the same reasons I don't shoot ducks on the water, or turkeys from their roosts. If this confuses you then you're not welcome in my hunting camp.

One of Us
Picture of DC Roxby
posted Hide Post
Just found and ordered some tags from Van Dyke's. Only $2.79 per 10 and they should work great. I am going to take them and should I not need them I will just leave them with my PH.

http://www.vandykestaxidermy.com/product/01738931/

One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
Prior to departure I contact the taxidermist and obtain all the pertinent info -- make my own business card size tags and laminate them. I take plenty extra with strong ties -- system so far has been great. I would not count on the PH knowing how to address and or route ones shipment through all the BS -- check with your taxidermist for the proper info.

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 928 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
L. David Keith,
That's great advice. There was a thread not long ago about someone getting their trophy's back and they swore a couple weren't the same sized animal as what they had shot.

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My taxidermist provides me with the tags and shipping labels that my PH fills out. Worked really well this last time and will do the same this summer. Put all the animals info on the back as reccomended and it will avoid a great deal of confusion when they arrive. drwes

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DC,

Good question, a coupla Watch-Outs and threads above have already provided sound advice & expereince.

Tagging & Logging trophies, like the Photographs, should be a practised routine for any good & reputable Outfitter/PH operation and their tags should be pre-printed for the apporpriate & required information. They should also be of a material & quality to withstand less-than-sterile handling (read:robust). The PH should also take the responsibility WITH the Client as soon as practical to ensure tags are affixed. Both parties should also maintain a Log Book with corresponding entries for each indivivual trophy, Client, PH, Date, Spieces, Length (Left/Right), Other-Identifiying Characteristics, (Marks, Scars, Dings, Broken, Chipped, Color, Pearling, Ivory Tips) etc. and this includes the Capes.

I'd raise an eyebrow and voice my opinion immediately if there was simply a paper tag with a piece of string - plastic tags with plastic wire cables and permanaent marker is apprpropriate including different colors for larger groups.

Invariably when the Client & PH take the time; items are properly annotated, tagged & logged, agreed on by both parties and conclude the attention-to-detail as apporpriate with a handshake; then go to the Bar, we almsot NEVER have an issue.

On behalf of the many professional Outfitter's, PH's and Camp Staff (Skinners, Trackers & Slaughter House employees) my opinion is that many individual hunters (especially those in larger groups, say over two and up to 8) often don't pay the proper attention to detail themselves, need to shower, go to the bar, have dinner, it's too late or too dark, too many Flys & Mosquitos, make a telephone call, flirt, drive to town, (you name it; I've seen/heard it) etc. and then suddenly 5 days later there are queries, ill feelings and a bunch of finger-pointing about Who's Kudu is Who's? I've seen PH's and Skinner's attempting to track down Clients at the bar, at dinner & in their Chalets who are too busy with their life & personal routine to take the few minutes to ensure all's according to Hoyle. Such is Life; so this issue is a real Double-Edged Sword.

I wholeheartedly agree with L. David Keith that too much personal information outside of one's personal control and available for public consumption in Africa is a Big No-No.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by DC Roxby:
My taxidermist does not supply tags unfortunately. /QUOTE]

Then you're using the wrong taxidermist. Any taxidermist who deals in African trophies on any kind of a regular basis will supply these labels as a matter or course. If they don't do that, they don't import many trophies from overseas, which in turn, probably mean they don't have much experience of setting up those animals.

You need to find yourself a taxidermist who is acquainted with import requirements and knows what the animals should look like. You've gotta look at those trophies for many years to come, so they'd better be right. Wink

One of Us
Picture of DC Roxby
posted Hide Post
Shakari,

He is actually a very good taxidermist, but just has a very small shop. I am incredibly picky when it comes to taxidermists and believe me I went and looked at his work before committing. He has a beautiful sable and buff in his shop now and he had a zebra shoulder mount in the works last time I was there.

I always look at a taxidermists cats because I believe if you can get them right the antelope should be easy. He does alot of mountain lions and they look great.

I am actually having the tannery in the US send me the finished capes so I can mount as budget allows. I have settled on South Texas Fur Dressers and they are very familiar with the import process so I think I will be OK.

I live in a fairly out of the way part of the US so I am happy to have found a good taxidermist nearby. Best part his turnaround is 6-9 months.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
South Texas Fur Dressers should supply the tags you need. If it is who I think it is, they are in Victoria, TX. Give Tom a call and he will set you up I'm sure.

I have a system: I pretend to work and they pretend to pay me!

Posts: 106 | Location: Cuero, TX. | Registered: 15 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kudu4u
posted Hide Post
All the caveats here in this thread are so true. I got the wrong eland cape back. Instead of the fine old blue bull with the red ruff of hair between the horns I got one which was a female or young male. It was a pedestal mount. I was sick.

"In these days of mouth-foaming Disneyism......"--- Capstick
Don't blame the hunters for what the poachers do!---me

Benefactor Member NRA

Posts: 477 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 13 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Shakari, but ovbiously you are happy with your taxidermists work, which is the bottom line. My oppinion is that if a taxidermist has not hunted or seen, in the wild, the animals you are taking to him to mount then how can he mount them properly. This is of course not as crucial on antelopes but if you are going to be hunting Lion or Leopard I would strongly suggest taking that particular animal to a taxidermist that has seen them or hunted them in their natural state. Your taxidermist may very well have done so but if not it is something to think about, A great Cougar mount does not equate to a great Lion or Leapord, they are very difficult animals to get right, and taking those cats is something that most of us are not likely to ever be able to do more than once so getting it right the first time is of course vital, just something to think about.

I also agree that South Texas fur traders should supply the tags.

I have never made a log book of animals before but that is a great idea and you can bet I will be doing it in the future. My dad lost a Reedbuck that either never made it from Zim or disappeared at the taxidermist. A logbook would have helped us sort this out, great idea.

Best luck to you on your hunt!

6x NFR Qualifier
NFR Champion
Reserve World Champion Bareback Rider
PRCA Million Dollar Club
02' Salt Lake Olympic Qualifier
and an all around good guy!

Posts: 354 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don. I am sure he has the skills. But good taxidermy service goes beyond art. There is such a thing as being a true and well rounded professional. Might I suggest that you look into the shelf life and care of your tanned capes if they are to be mounted later. There is a lot that can go wrong and there are some very worth while pointers in this discussion. Remember, it is you that takes the risk not this taxidermist that has no tagging. Elton
quote:
Originally posted by DC Roxby:
Shakari,

He is actually a very good taxidermist, but just has a very small shop. I am incredibly picky when it comes to taxidermists and believe me I went and looked at his work before committing. He has a beautiful sable and buff in his shop now and he had a zebra shoulder mount in the works last time I was there.

I always look at a taxidermists cats because I believe if you can get them right the antelope should be easy. He does alot of mountain lions and they look great.

I am actually having the tannery in the US send me the finished capes so I can mount as budget allows. I have settled on South Texas Fur Dressers and they are very familiar with the import process so I think I will be OK.

I live in a fairly out of the way part of the US so I am happy to have found a good taxidermist nearby. Best part his turnaround is 6-9 months.

Don

Elton Rambin
Mail/Ship: 1802 Horse Hollow Rd.
Barksdale, Texas 78828
Phone: 479 461 3656
Ranch: 830-234-4366
Check our Hunt & Class Schedule
at
www.ftwoutfitters.com

4 Rules of Gun Safety
1/ Treat all guns as though they are loaded.
2/ Never point the muzzle at anything you do not want to shoot.
3/ Do not put your finger on trigger until your sights are on target and you are ready to shoot.
4/ Be sure of your target and safe background.

Posts: 268 | Location: Western Arkansas/Barksdale,TX. USA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote