THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    AA sues a travel site to crack down on consumers who use this trick to save money

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AA sues a travel site to crack down on consumers who use this trick to save money
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
https://apnews.com/article/ame...e302238cefd63ac864e3

American Airlines sues a travel site to crack down on consumers who use this trick to save money

BY DAVID KOENIG
Updated 4:32 PM CDT, August 18, 2023

DALLAS (AP) — American Airlines is suing a travel website that sells tickets that let people save money by exploiting a quirk in airline pricing.

American sued Skiplagged Inc. in federal court in Fort Worth, Texas, this week, accusing the website of deception. It threatened to cancel every ticket that Skiplagged has sold.

In a practice called skiplagging and hidden-city ticketing, travelers book a flight that includes at least one stop, but they leave the plane during a layover. Generally skiplagging is not illegal, but airlines claim that it violates their policies.

Last month, American booted a 17-year-old from a flight and banned him for three years when he tried to use the tactic to fly from Gainesville, Florida, to Charlotte, North Carolina, on a ticket that listed New York City as his destination. For the teen, that was cheaper than booking a flight directly to Charlotte.

In the lawsuit, American accused Skiplagged of tricking consumers into believing they can tap “some kind of secret ‘loophole.’” American said the website poses as an ordinary consumer to buy tickets, and warns its customers not to tip off the airline about the arrangement.

American said Skiplagged has never been authorized to resell the airline’s tickets.

“Skiplagged’s conduct is deceptive and abusive,” the airline said in the lawsuit. “Skiplagged deceives the public into believing that, even though it has no authority to form and issue a contract on American’s behalf, somehow it can still issue a completely valid ticket. It cannot. Every ‘ticket’ issued by Skiplagged is at risk of being invalidated.”

There was no immediate response to a request for comment left with Skiplagged.

Skiplagging is possible because of the way airlines compete on price.

Long flights usually cost more than shorter ones, but the reverse might be true if many airlines compete on the longer route while only one or two fly the shorter one.

Travelers who use the tactic avoid checking a bag, since it will wind up at the ticketed destination, not the layover airport. They often book one-way tickets, or only try this strategy on the return trip – if the airline notices someone skipping out, it might cancel the rest of their itinerary.

Skiplagged, which is based in New York, has been sued before.

United Airlines and online travel agency Orbitz accused Aktarer Zaman, who was in his early 20s when he started Skiplagged around 2014, of touting “prohibited forms of travel.” Zaman started a GoFundMe to pay his legal costs. He settled with Orbitz, and the United lawsuit was dismissed.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9370 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Why blame others for their own stupid policies?

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66984 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Given the amount of overbooking and f-ups by airlines, they should welcome the random empty seats to cover their asses... seriously - did the airline lose anything with an empty seat and less baggage?

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have no sympathy with airlines.

They have made it into an art how to squeeze every penny out of the individual.

And some airlines have staff with attitudes that defies comprehension.

I used to travel within Europe on major airlines, in Business class.

Found out the hard way they could not careless.

The instances they change planes at the last moment, where one is not allowed to take his carry on into the cabin, but had to be put into the hold just before you board.

I refused, every time.

Politely saying I am not flying if my carry on is not with me.

I have always gotten my way.

Or the stupid way of having the same seating all over the plane, but in business they leave the middle seat empty.

Food service is atrocious too in Business within Europe.

I now fly the cheap airlines.

First they get you to a closer airport to your destination.

They do charge more for certain services, like priority boarding and reserved seats.

I am happy to pay it, knowing exactly what I am getting.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66984 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote