THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Disposable cells at jnb airport?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Disposable cells at jnb airport?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted
Guys, heading over to South Africa at the end of August and was wondering if they sell disposable cell phones that I could use to call home or should I just look at sat phone.
Thanks!

Thanks!

Brian Clark

Blue Skies Hunting Adventures
www.blueskieshunting.com
Email at: info@blueskieshunting.com

African Cape Trophy Safaris
www.africancapesafaris.com
Email at: brian@africancapesafaris.com

1-402-689-2024

Posts: 1013 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 30 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I returned a few weeks ago from a trip to Namibia. There was another hunter in camp who was doing several hunts in Namibia and RSA and he purchased such a phone at the Joberg airport. He had nothing but trouble with it and found it was basically worthless. He regretted not getting a plan to use his US phone while in Africa. Call your cell phone provider and see what is available.

I called my phone co. (AT&T) and they had several plans available. Since I only wanted the ability to call in case of an emergency and send a few text messages I chose the plan with no upfront or monthly cost but the call rates were higher. Call rates were something like $2.00 a minute and text messages were around 20 cents each. I just send a few text messages to my family to let them know I arrived safely and again when the Elephant hit the ground. Didn't cost much.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2307 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up Tom.

Thanks!

Brian Clark

www.blueskieshunting.com

1-402-689-2024

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brian,
The sat phone is the way to go IMHO. I spent enough money renting one for several years and finally bought one of my own. A good investment as far as I'm concerned. It doesn't cost that much to rent one for the period that you're gonna be gone.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted Hide Post
Yeah, we were planning on using Skype but who knows how wifi will be.

Thanks!

Brian Clark

www.blueskieshunting.com

1-402-689-2024

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i bought a cheap nokia phone and have not had any trouble with it. i have sims cards for three different countries. if your hunting in an area that has cell towers you should have not problem.

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
i bought a cheap nokia phone and have not had any trouble with it. i have sims cards for three different countries. if your hunting in an area that has cell towers you should have not problem.

+1!

tu2

I only have cards RSA & Namibia; find it much less expensive than using my European provider; 'cause those roaming charges are outright exorbitant. Initially I popped the new Pre-Paid SIM cards in my Cell Phone & when they were activated, (takes an hour or so) 1 SMS later the entire Family was informed of my temporary RSA or Namibian number.

The least expensive Call Ya or Pre-Paid cards require occasional topping off when in towns and the cards expire after @ 12 or 18 months of inactivity.

The North American phones operate on a different frequency than Africa or Europe (the same) and the vast majority provided by NA Service Providers did not used to have the option to change the frequencies (this may currently be different depending on what type or model of phone you are using). If this option is available on your phone you'll have to change the phone setting or purchase a cheap-o. A 12 Volt & 220 Volt charger adds some cost to the purchase of a phone but still worth it IMO.

Net, to answer your original query, Brian, there are several phone stores at the JHB Airport and IMO purchasing a telephone, card & chargers is a simple, quick option.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last year I had my Verizon phone set to call home from Zimbabwe and SA. It worked great in SA but coverage was spotty in Zim.
The cost was reasonable, seems like 50 cents a minute in SA. It was quite a bit more costly in Zim, couple bucks a minute, I believe.
Verizon cautioned me that internet/e mail would be very costly and to turn off the data on my I phone unless I wanted to pay quite a bit for all incoming e mails etc. I did turn it off,

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2638 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brian,

I inquired about international coverage with Verizon when I went to Zambia in 2011. I did not have international coverage on my phone, but Verizon lent me a phone for my trip. All I paid was for the calls I made and texting and postage to send the phone back when I returned. I don't know what the rates were, but it was very cheap as I recall. Check with your phone company, they may have something similar.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The whole point to me is being GONE! Off the grid.

If my clients or associates thought they could contact me, it would be a nightmare. The firm has offerred me a sat phone free of charge when I go on my trips. I've refused it.

Posts: 10037 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted Hide Post
I like going off the grid too, but got 2 newbies who have never left the country let alone not able to call the family. I use Verizon and ill give them a call. Thanks for all the info guys!!!

Thanks!

Brian Clark

www.blueskieshunting.com

1-402-689-2024

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a pan tech 7040 pre pay AT&T phone at walmart a few years ago. I ordered a sim card with a UK number from go sim on line. It has worked in RSA, Czech Republic and the UK so far. Next week, I will try it out in Russia. I just top the minutes off when I get ready to leave the country. I only give 3 people my number with instructions text only unless it is a huge emergency and throw it back in the drawer when I get home.

Posts: 477 | Location: western arkansas | Registered: 11 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
The whole point to me is being GONE! Off the grid.

If my clients or associates thought they could contact me, it would be a nightmare. The firm has offerred me a sat phone free of charge when I go on my trips. I've refused it.

amen to that. if i wanted to be accessible, i would just stay home......when i am gone, I AM GONE!! clap

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13169 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote