Find
Notify
Tools

Gear Queston about boots
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted
I have been getting ready for a hunt by hiking and average of 8 miles a day with a twenty five pound pack and 416 Rifle. The sole totally came off of my Russell Zephyrs yesterday. There is no time to get new soles. I have heard great things about Valstez tactical boots from Under Armor. Just wondering if any of you own a pair. I do not like Keens or Merrill's. I do not have much time to break in.

Captain Clark Purvis
www.roanokeriverwaterfowl.com/

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
I took a pair of them to Zim in Sept on my ele hunt. They are very comfortable, but almost every day (sometimes 2-3 times) I ran a thorn completely through the sole into my foot. They have sort of an air pocket in the middle of the sole and a cushiony layer, and the big thorns went right through. If you are not in a thorny area, they are incredibly light and comfortable. BTW...they also make a hunting boot in that, it is camo and not black (or tan).

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Capt. Purvis,

The Browning bird hunters made out of Kangaroo might be a good option. They are lightweight and have fairly soft leather. I hunted with a PH that had them and just loved them. he said they needed zero breaking in.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12879 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Capt.:
How about Courteney boots from Zim? They are my primary footwear for 20 years and the only shoe I've seen that I can put on new and walk 20 miles. They are so soft they don't need extensive (or any) break in time. Only fault is they need an insole with a good arch support.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I bought proper insoles for my Courtneys some years ago and they work perfect. tu2 I've worn Courtneys in Africa and here in North America for the last 10 years. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 on the kangaroo's

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like Lowa Desert Zypher's, I have issues with one foot from a gsw many years ago and these are the only boots I've found that work for me...virtually no break in, too.

Karl

Karl Evans

Posts: 2772 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
I tried on the Courtneys last year in South Africa and did not like them.

Captain Clark Purvis

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Having spent an incredibly large part of my life in African (Somalia, Djibouti), Iraqi or Afghanistani deserts wearing out a lot of boot leather I personally feel that boots are so totally random on what will work for an individual that it really is up to you to figure it out.

For me personally Meindl Desert Fox (can work, but some aren't going to), Danner desert boots can be wonderful especially the $300 ones), Blackhawk desert boots are good, but can have problems with thorns.

The only boots I have put on lately that work the instant that I have put them on are Haix.

Just a retired military guy who wore out some leather everywhere.

I own a pair of Courteney hippo hide boots. They are ok, for what they are but there are better and way cheaper German and American made (both probably from China) boots that will work much better for the average guy.

My Courteneys were hard to break in, and are hard wearing. If you have foot problems (I have metatarsals that have healed badly after a break and feel needs with every step). They aren't for me anymore for a big hunt, but they are fine for a BBQ or around the house.

Posts: 7769 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You wouldn't have time--they custom make them and it takes 6 weeks and week or so for break in--Whites boots known for their Whites smokejumper--best footwear going. WWW.WHITESBOOTS.COM

Posts: 3808 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I second the Lowa recommendation. I also just bought my second pair of Lowa GTX Renegades. They come in wide and are a good combination of tough and flexible sole. They wear like sneakers but will handle a good hike up the mountains.

Dave

Posts: 920 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fit is absolutely everything so recommendations are tough.

For me Asolo boots are built on a last that is perfect for my feet.

I found the Coutneys much too wide

Quality and fit on the Russells I have had was crap

Posts: 569 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Courtneys with a good arch support are hard to beat for me. Wore them on a buffalo hunt in Zambia, worked great. I also use the Asolo Sassalong boot with great satisfaction.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bradhe--Fit is everything. The Whites that I mentioned are made from tracings and measurements of your foot. I had a welder friend that bought them and he was amazed at what a difference the correct fit of the Whites made over the Red Wings he had previously worn.

Posts: 3808 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only time I have been on safari was via a USB 3.0 generously furnished by Saeed. You will find Walter properly attired, as always, and he is wearing the type footwear you may need.

Posts: 1069 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Capt. Purvis:
I have been getting ready for a hunt by hiking and average of 8 miles a day with a twenty five pound pack and 416 Rifle. The sole totally came off of my Russell Zephyrs yesterday. There is no time to get new soles. I have heard great things about Valstez tactical boots from Under Armor. Just wondering if any of you own a pair. I do not like Keens or Merrill's. I do not have much time to break in.

Sorry to hear about you problem with your Russels. You are not alone. I have a pair of their boots which I've worn on 3 or 4 hunting trips and not for much else. The stitching has come out twice and was repaired the first time by Russels. I'm not going to bother sending them back again. The leather on the top has stretched so much as to give no ankle stability. The lining on the loafers I bought from them for too much has come loose probably because of defective glue.

On the other hand, I have Red Wing boots from probably 20 years ago that I have worn a LOT. Nothing has ever come loose, there is still plenty of tread on the sole and only one small hole in the leather of one of them.

The morals of the story; don't buy Russels anything and just because something costs a lot doesn't mean it's good.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have absolutely horrible feet. I have had multiple foot surgeries. I know a number of podiatrists. I was 4F during the Vietnam era (but I still served in the Veterinary Corps). I wear New Balance shoes to work every day (I still practice full time at age 61) so when I went to Zim in 2011 I looked at their shoes/boots. They make a fantastic (IMHO) hiking boot. I bought two pair and they took almost no time to break in. They also stand behind their products-one pair did not hold up real well on the trip and when I got back and went in to the store to buy another pair they replaced them at no cost (pleasant surprise). Just my $.02.

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 482 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
drj,
That is exactly what my uncle said and he is a podiatrists here in NC. I ordered five different pair of boots online and going to spend some time walking on pavement with each pair. I appreciate all of the information.

Captain Clark Purvis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal and others nailed it on the Courteney's. Great boots if they fit, with an insole. Fit/Size is a relative thing, like most things in Africa.

Posts: 10038 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Capt. Purvis:
... I have heard great things about Valstez tactical boots from Under Armor. Just wondering if any of you own a pair. I do not like Keens or Merrill's. I do not have much time to break in.

I have the Valstez tactical boots, they are light, comfortable and good to go out of the box. First day I had them I hiked about 6 miles, and no issues.

I also have Danner USMC RAT Temperate as well. They are heavier, but great fit and comfortable.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote