New
Find
Notify
Tools

Travel to Mozambique
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have an interesting one for you all, I am hunting up in the Niassa Mozambique this coming September. I need to fly from Denver to Lichinga. I was wondering what my options are. The most obvious route is Denver-Atlanta (or JFK or Dulles) to Jo’burg to Maputo then finally , Lichinga. My outfitter said the majority of his clients go that route. A overnight lay over is required in Jo’burg or Maputo. I kinda would like to do something different than Jo’burg. I gave been that rout about 5 times. So, my questions would be:

Have any of you stayed over in Maputo? A Good place to stay? Things to do? An acceptable airport? (I dealt with Yaoundé’, Cameroon airport last year and Dakar the previous year. Hunted Senegal that year. Those airports make the Jo’burg airport look like Inchon or Singapore).

Have anyone used alternative routes to Maputo. My outfitter said he had a client last year travel via Madrid, then direct to Maputo. On TAP Portugal. I went on the web last night, I see that TAP does fly from Lisbon (not Madrid) to Maputo, non-stop. So, that is looking hopeful. I have traveled once into Lisbon with guns, that was last year for a Monteria. ( hey- if you guys ever lose interest in Africa, 2nd best is driven game in Europe.) I got hassled big time about the legality of traveling with ammo by a Lufthansa counter agent. The airport police confiscated 50 rounds of Sift-A-Framed .35 Whelen. Bummer. My outfitter went and straightened out that airline employee as to the EU Rules on traveling with ammo. Too late for me. Therefore, I am a little gun shy with Lisbon.

Also, I see on the ‘net that Ethiopian Airlines fly into Maputo. Does anyone have any experience with those folks. It is the cheapest option. If I wasn't flying with a rifle, it might make for a cool adventure.

Now, to really stir the pot. I have not found the perfect Travel Agent to Southern Africa? I have used Gracey four times, with a problem only one trip, The first two perfect trips were when Steve Turner was with them and he managed those trips. One uneventful time with Esplanade and a combo trip to Zambia and RSA with Safari Travel Planners, that was a disaster. I figure Steve Turner is the way to go, however, I was at both Dallas and Las Vegas. Everytime I went by his booth to see him, he was very busy. I did talk to the lady sitting at his booth at one point. Sounds like she didn’t want my business , giving me the bush off. Should I be persistent or give Gracy the business?

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Call or email Steve.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
mominer,

Go with Gracy but ask to speak to Shawn Kennedy. The advantage with Gracy is the people they have on the ground in RSA. You may not have to overnight in Maputo.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12880 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I spent a night in Maputo last July (unscheduled).
There are some good hotels (not the one I stayed at). One on the hill looking over the town and harbour is lovely.
You will need someone from the outfit to sort out rifles and Permits on arrival.
They have a new international terminal but an awful domestic terminal.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try Kathi Klimes, she posts here regularly. I had a kind of complicated trip to Zambia last October. Kathi booked flights and hotel reservations for me. Six connections both ways went off without a hitch. She always gets back to you timely.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
Steve has been an excellent travel agent for me as well in the past, but getting the brush off by presumably an employee making a snap judgement and "protecting the boss" is always my cue to take my business elsewhere.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all of you. I will check out the resources you refer to me.