THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Custom 700 25-06 Dennis Erhardt Karl/Feldkamp
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Custom 700 25-06 Dennis Erhardt Karl/Feldkamp
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Jcchartboy
posted
Hi Guys,

I know most folks here, myself included, usually look to this forum for classic guns and wood stocks etc. From time to time though I know I also like to see some modern custom designs as well.

Along those lines I figured I would post one I just got back from having work done on.

This gun started its life off as a factory Rem 700. The action was trued and rebarelled by Dennis Erhardt of Montana and a H-S precision installed. I picked up this gun from another AR member who had previous picked it up off the orignal owner on the Campfire. The gun was in mint condition when I got, and shoots Double Tap factory 120gr partition loads sub-Moa out past 200yds.

After shooting and hunting with it last year my girlfriend Melissa was sure it was a keeper for her. I decided it was well worth putting some addition money into to finish it up right.

Tonight it just came back from Karl Feldkamp at Kampfleds where I had it coated, bolt fluted, new bolt handle installed etc.

In any case, here it is with some pics from along the way.

JC

One of Us
Picture of Jcchartboy
posted Hide Post
Here is what the same gun looked like two weeks ago...

JC

One of Us
Picture of Jcchartboy
posted Hide Post
Here is Melissa with the same rifle last summer, as well as a Euro mount of a buck she took with it last fall at 200yds.

JC

one of us
posted Hide Post
You're a lucky man, finding a woman that likes hunting with you.

The rifles pretty nice too. Smiler I like the bolt knob better in the before version, but the rest of it is very cool.

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm kinda like Red. Other than the bolt knob it looks good.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jcchartboy
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys,

While the bolt knob does appear somewhat obtrusive in the photo, in person the whole thing melts together pretty nicely. More importantly, functionally, the bolt definetely fits the gun very well.

JC

Here is the finished product.

One of Us
Picture of Jcchartboy
posted Hide Post
Here is another gun I just finished upgrading including coatings by Kampfeld.

JC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn nice buck.

One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
Butch

I've gotta agree with you guys on the bolt knob but other that that I like it. Nick buck too, tell your girlfriend congrats.

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jcchartboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Butch

Butch,

How does this handle look to you?...Better?

JC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JC,
I like the rifle, but just can't like the bolt knobs. It is your rifle though and I know several folks that have reservations on mine. You build them for yourself, not the rest of us.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jcchartboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
JC,
I like the rifle, but just can't like the bolt knobs. It is your rifle though and I know several folks that have reservations on mine. You build them for yourself, not the rest of us.
Butch

I hear you. What would your preference be...The standard remington style? Or more of a traditional round Mauser style?

JC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JC,
I'm not on my computer that has the photos on them. I definitely don't like the looks or the function of the factory 7-700 bolt handles. I like them straight and with a round knob. I prefer checkering for no slip.
You picked a couple excellent guys to do your work.
Butch

One of Us
Picture of Jcchartboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
JC,
I'm not on my computer that has the photos on them. I definitely don't like the looks or the function of the factory 7-700 bolt handles. I like them straight and with a round knob. I prefer checkering for no slip.
You picked a couple excellent guys to do your work.
Butch

Thanks Butch,

I agree with you on the bolt handles...I prefer the round and checkered as well. Just can't have everything all the time!

Here is one that belongs, I believe, to "pre-war". Definitely, a nicer way to go though not always quite perfect with a factory cut stock. If I were going to put more money into a bolt handle I would have done something similar to this on the Rem 700 based Jarrett that I own. As it is, on this go around I also had Karl coat a PTG Orbendorf bottom metal that I installed on that Jarrett to replace the factory metal.

JC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks good.
Butch

posted Hide Post
Where did you get the fluted bolt done at

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure Karl Feldkamp did it.
Butch

One of Us
Picture of Jcchartboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm sure Karl Feldkamp did it.

Yes...that is correct.

JC