THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Who to rebarrel a Winchester 70 to .458 Lott
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who to rebarrel a Winchester 70 to .458 Lott
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dieseltrucker
posted
I had originally decided that my local gunsmith could do this job, but he is a precision/long range builder primarily, so, it got me thinking. Do I need a dangerous game smith who works on these guns day in and day out? All I need is a re-barrel, maybe a barrel band and iron sights, good bedding job, and check feeding. The donor is a Magnum length Left hand Winchester 70. Thanks.

Posts: 240 | Location: Alabama  | Registered: 30 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
depending on what cartridge the action was originally fitted it may be more than just a rebarrel. may need a longer magazine box, ejector and bolt stop.

Posts: 978 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dieseltrucker
posted Hide Post
It started life as a .340 weatherby. 3.6 COAL, .530 boltface. Maybe open the feed rails.

Posts: 240 | Location: Alabama  | Registered: 30 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John Farner (Toomanytools), Jim Kobe, DPCD.

One of these three can set you up.

Without looking at it, you just need a barrel, and associated accessories (sights, barrel band). Might need a magazine box/follower. Doubt it would need any rail work. Very straightforward conversion.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have experience with the M70 & 458 Lott and would be glad to assist. I'm in Georgia.
Roger

Posts: 476 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by farbedo:
John Farner (Toomanytools), Jim Kobe, DPCD.

One of these three can set you up.

Without looking at it, you just need a barrel, and associated accessories (sights, barrel band). Might need a magazine box/follower. Doubt it would need any rail work. Very straightforward conversion.

Jeremy

Was thinking a box/follower as well.

Trying a dummy might tell though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dennis Olsen did mine, very happy with the results.
Doug

Posts: 478 | Location: Central Indiana | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote