The Accurate Reloading Forums
Who to rebarrel a Winchester 70 to .458 Lott

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971019521/m/9931062532

13 September 2017, 23:54
Dieseltrucker
Who to rebarrel a Winchester 70 to .458 Lott
I had originally decided that my local gunsmith could do this job, but he is a precision/long range builder primarily, so, it got me thinking. Do I need a dangerous game smith who works on these guns day in and day out? All I need is a re-barrel, maybe a barrel band and iron sights, good bedding job, and check feeding. The donor is a Magnum length Left hand Winchester 70. Thanks.
14 September 2017, 00:29
max(hm2)
depending on what cartridge the action was originally fitted it may be more than just a rebarrel. may need a longer magazine box, ejector and bolt stop.
14 September 2017, 00:43
Dieseltrucker
It started life as a .340 weatherby. 3.6 COAL, .530 boltface. Maybe open the feed rails.
14 September 2017, 01:40
farbedo
John Farner (Toomanytools), Jim Kobe, DPCD.

One of these three can set you up.

Without looking at it, you just need a barrel, and associated accessories (sights, barrel band). Might need a magazine box/follower. Doubt it would need any rail work. Very straightforward conversion.

Jeremy
14 September 2017, 01:52
RogersGunWorks
I have experience with the M70 & 458 Lott and would be glad to assist. I'm in Georgia.
Roger
14 September 2017, 02:07
BaxterB
quote:
Originally posted by farbedo:
John Farner (Toomanytools), Jim Kobe, DPCD.

One of these three can set you up.

Without looking at it, you just need a barrel, and associated accessories (sights, barrel band). Might need a magazine box/follower. Doubt it would need any rail work. Very straightforward conversion.

Jeremy

Was thinking a box/follower as well.

Trying a dummy might tell though.
14 September 2017, 02:37
drm-hp
Dennis Olsen did mine, very happy with the results.
Doug