Find
Notify
Tools

Custom wood
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted
Where can I get the best grade of wood semi inletted walnut stock for a 700 bdl for around 400.00 to 500.00?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Wish I could help you but I don't have a BDL pattern. You can get some nice wood for $2-300. Depending on who cuts it duplication would be from $125-175.

If you have a stock I could copy I could help. I buy some nice wood from http://www.calicohardwoods.com/index.php

ISS will probably suggest Chris at http://www.walnutgrovegunstocks.com/

Last I checked Chris was only doing custom work at $500 or above. He might have something already cut you would like

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that quick reply ramrod. The pattern I want is a righthand classic. I am building a gun for my nephew that will be an heirloom so I want nice wood. I'll look into those kinks.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that is incorrect. Chris has blanks straight grained for less than $200.

Just call him in the morning. His shop number is 208-907-9000, and his cell is 208-484-4684

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Chris has blanks straight grained for less than $200

Last time I looked (last week) his site was saying due to load they were only doing custom (duplication) ifthe job was over $500. I "assumed" that was wood and shaping. If he is taking on work great. If so he might want to change the comment on his site. Most people would take it at face value unless they know otherwise like you.

His site is closed right now.

I believe Doug was looking a semi for around $500. Maybe I read it wrong. For me a piece of straight grain at $200 wood only is a touch steep.

Please don't get me wrong. My customers and I have bought some great wood from Chris. He is a super nice guy to deal with. What I was told was when he started running his big multi head duplicator in late 2014 it was using about all the wood he had. Could have been the wood in the price range we were looking for. Nice straight and quarter sawn. Nothing HIGH $$.

I had a customer contact me last fall when I was laid up looking for another source after contacting Chris.

Heck if I was running a big multi head unit at or close to full time last thing I would want to do is stop and cut a single. Takes just as much time for 1 as it does for a full duplicator load.

I know ISS has bought some high $$ from Chris lately. If Chris has the supply and time to supply us POOR FOLK Big Grin I would be dancing for joy.

If Doug contacts him I hope he can give us the current story.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Particularly steep when you can get a completely finished straight-grain walnut stock from Boyd's for not much more than $200.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toomany Tools:
Particularly steep when you can get a completely finished straight-grain walnut stock from Boyd's for not much more than $200.

Boyds are really underappreciated stocks in my opinion. Especially for the money.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 827 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boyds may have acceptable products for the money, but count me out. Their customer service sucks!!

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Was just on Walnut Grove and their site still has this disclaimer.
"""Any stock ordered with a specific wood, grade and pattern is considered a CUSTOM ORDER*.

*As of August 2015: Our custom shop is currently FULL and not accepting orders under $500. If you would still like to place an order, you may do so by calling us at (208) 907-9000, M/W/F from 9am to 2pm, mountain time. Thanks!
"""

That said. Looking at what he is showing for inventory for the 700 BDL he has some nice looking classics in the $300-600 range just waiting for someone to say they want it.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try "in the 10 ring" on Mauser Central, he can do about anything you want and has some great blanks. I just got one from him and it is beautiful.. Bill

Posts: 117 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 19 April 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cooksey:
Try "in the 10 ring" on Mauser Central, he can do about anything you want and has some great blanks. I just got one from him and it is beautiful.. Bill

Never held any of Dave's work in my hands, but have seen numerous pictures and heard many praises.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DHumbarger,

check your PM's.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would be inclined to suggest a $400 piece of wood from Bill Dowtin Old World walnut, it will be plumb pretty, then send your gun to a stylist and have him turn your wood to your gun. Best wood, best simi inlet out there..The stylist will leave enough wood for you or your gunsmith to inlet..You sure get a lot more for your money than those simi inlet factory jobs. I use Dennis Olson, Plains Mt. on occasions for that. Cost it between $150 to $200 I think. When I get the stock back I have about 3 or 4 hours of inleting to do, and a couple of days work to start a finish...I do have him leave extra wood most of the time, but not sure that is really necessary as he does such good work..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
D humbarger
I've got closer to 100 mid to high grade European walnut rifle blanks presently but I've also got some great great 2 sided feather-crotch walnut blanks I could probably let you have where's your wanting to be.

Call me if your still looking.

Five 13- 576 - one 9 one 9
Or
afreeman416@gmail.com

Thanks

Sane goes for anyone else looking

Also 2pc

Posts: 609 | Location: Cincinnati | Registered: 25 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ramrod,

Chris is so swamped with orders. He does, however, have blanks at $200. He is fussy about trees he buys and cuts down, and takes his truck and flatbed trailer to inspect every tree he buys aforehand.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
He is fussy about trees he buys

Never a question in my mind he had some good wood and was picky. Wink

As I said when my customer and I couldn't get wood from him it might have simply been the quality we were looking for. Basic wood was all and if he is doing a large commercial duplication order he would need a large supply.

If his head is above water and he has time to duplicate as well great. But if he is still swamped like it sounds he's probably a great source for above plan Jane quality wood but maybe people should look for another duplication source.

Again NOTHING at all against Chris. just trying to help people find what they are asking for.

ISS on a different note have you had a chance to see how deep that void was on that nice wood??

As usual just my $.02
Paul K