New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shipping Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a question on shipping rifle to a gunsmith. Is a FFL necessary or not. Also, when asked whats in box, what kind of response is necessay. This is a rifle to be shipped USPS priority. Any answers on this will be appreciated. This is first time shipping rifle.
Thank for any info.

Kidd

Posts: 141 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 11 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's against regulations for the USPS to ask what's in the package and it's perfectly legal for any legal citizen to mail any long gun to a licensed gunsmith.

However a lot depends upon your local USPS personell, some are sharp and others are dumb and still others can become deliberately obstructive if you volunteer them too much info. Best for you to get a copy of the smith's FFL if you're in any doubt, that's all the USPS will really have any right to ask. Good luck.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks appreciate the the info.

Kidd

Posts: 141 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 11 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My experience is to NOT ship USPS Priority Mail but to either ship USPS Express Mail or Fed Ex overnight. It costs a lot more but if you have problems with Priority Mail you will wish you had not made that choice. I want the firearm to be in the hands of USPS or Fed Ex the shortest possible time, not 3-6 days (Priority Mail). Don't ship on a Friday if there is no Saturday delivery. Ship in a hard case inside a cardboard sleeve, and pack it well even if it's in a case. And spend the money to insure for full value.

If it's from a gunsmith and sent for repair it can come straight back to you (no dealer transfer).

Good luck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's been my experience that UPS and FedEx WILL NOT pay on insurance claims without a major hassle and the customer having to hire a lawyer, whereas the USPS will, eventually, pay up.

Absolutely the ONLY way I'll ever use ANY carrier other than the USPS is if the item is going overseas and the insurance value is too high for the USPS to cover. It's happened to me a few times and, believe me, the pucker factor was significant until I got delivery confirmation from the recipients.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
432.2 PS Form 1508
PS Form 1508, Statement by Shipper of Firearms, must be completed by each firearm manufacturer or dealer who deposits firearms for mailing. The form must be filed with the postmaster of the post office of mailing.

Joe, I have heard of the same kind of problems with mailing using ups and fedex. Registered mail with USPS insurance rates are a break even at about $1k, above that registered is cheaper.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Speaking of long guns:

I ship and receive literally dozens of firearms every week. IME, USPS Priority Insured is far and away the most reliable, quickest, most reasonable avenue. If you insure for over $300, they WILL NOT leave the box without a signature. Despite their policies, I have had both UPS and FedEx leave firearms by the front door with no signature.

You do need to declare to the Post Office that you are shipping a firearm, but the form that Chic noted is for regular shippers of firearms (dealers and manufacturers as stated), not a single transaction by an individual.

You do not need to use an FFL on your end, unless your state law requires it. Only the Gunsmith needs an FFL, and he can return the firearm directly to you without going through an FFL on your end.

When you go to the post office, just let them know that you are shipping an unloaded sporting rifle. I've never had an issue, and have only been told of very few troubles my customers encountered over the past 8 years.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Speaking from experience, print the regs and take them with you. Often USPS personnel do not know the rules on firearms and if you don't have copies with you, they will tell you they can't accept it.

Also, If you read the rules carefully, It appears the PS 1508 for only applies to handguns...

Cliff
NRA Life Member
CMP Distinguished Rifleman
NRA Master, Short and Long Range

Posts: 436 | Location: Fulshear, TX | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CAS II:

You do need to declare to the Post Office that you are shipping a firearm, but the form that Chic noted is for regular shippers of firearms (dealers and manufacturers as stated), not a single transaction by an individual.

I was under the impression that you are not required to state that there is a firearm in the box. Does that apply to a non-FFL doing onesy-twosy transactions?

I don't think it is a big deal, but unless they are going to mark the box as such or track it special, I don't know why they would need to know. Not that that ever stopped the gov't from making a regulation...

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gzig5:
quote:
Originally posted by CAS II:

I was under the impression that you are not required to state that there is a firearm in the box. Does that apply to a non-FFL doing onesy-twosy transactions?

I don't think it is a big deal, but unless they are going to mark the box as such or track it special, I don't know why they would need to know. Not that that ever stopped the gov't from making a regulation...

You're correct, there is no requirement.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote