THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Some old Brno's are getting new life on budget
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Some old Brno's are getting new life on budget
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Great looking rifle! For the pad, I like black much better than the red. I just think it matched the forend and grip cap better. But that is just me.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Very nice wood. For my taste, an .80" or 1 inch dark brown or black Olde English would set that dark walnut off nicely.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5239 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like your forend tip its just right..I like metal cross bolts, but that's just me, What is the forend length, mine are severe at 8.5 or 9 inches...I like pure English including low comb for iron sights, and that works for me with a scope as well, not big on the 3 point stuff making me a better shot, if its got a cross hair Im good with it, grew up shooting scopes on low comb pre war and pre 64 Win.,,thank goodness! tu2

Congrats on some real nice guns.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 9,3x74R
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen.
Since i find it hard to decide about a red or black recoil pad I will do both. I'm working on fitting the red one as we speak, and will make a black leather one one of the days. I believe there will be a picture of both. Then you might give me your opinion.

Ray, the foreend on this rifle are slightly shorter than yours. This foreend is just over 20 cm. 202 mm from the front of the action to be exactly. That is what I found suitable for this rifle.
I don't care about any style. English, continental European or American. I have made this stock to fit me. And it fits 101%.
I have fitted it for use the irons, including the pop up peep. And I'm having no problems what so ever shooting with a scope.
I have Recknagel metal cross bolts laying around but the whole point with this rifle or stock is to make the parts my self with hand tools. Anyways, I don't have the machinery to make metal cross bolts anyways. Smiler But to be honest, I don't feel ashamed about my solution using ebony plugs to cover the epoxy glued 6 mm 12/9 screws.

Btw. Thanks for compliment on the foreend tip. Smiler

Rino

Posts: 249 | Location: Oevre Eiker, Norway / Winterton RSA | Registered: 07 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 9,3x74R
posted Hide Post
Finally a rainy night and time to do some more work.
I finally managed to fit the red pad.
Still not convinced that a red pad is the right choice.
A black leather pad might look better?

Rino

Posts: 249 | Location: Oevre Eiker, Norway / Winterton RSA | Registered: 07 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the red. Nice job on the cheekpiece. So hard to get the proportions right.

Posts: 288 | Location: AL | Registered: 11 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice work in progress! Red is traditional...Black and brown pads are the ones that were leather covered.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, I agree about going with a red pad. It just looks more 'Old School,' like a proper and 'traditional' DGR.

A black pad looks like you're trying to add some sort of 'tactical' or 'sniper-ish ' flavor to it.

All The Best ...

Posts: 813 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 October 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 9,3x74R
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen. Thank you for your feedback.
I think I will let this pad stay for a while. Oil the wood and shoot the rifle and maybe hunt with it the coming season.
I can allways make a black leather one later. Big Grin

Rino

One of Us
Picture of 9,3x74R
posted Hide Post
Finally, after a few very hot weeks the temperature is like normal summer and the temperature allows me to spend time in the hobby room again.
After my last session there I have had some very handy visitors and their impressive work on my stock made the temperature rise again. I'm sorry to say but my words did more to global warming than a vulcano erupting.

After what seems like most of June I managed to calm down and think clear again.
Thinking back I remembered that I have had a few badass hangovers and I survived every time. Nothing can compare with serious hangovers so some minor damage shouldn't stop my project.

So, after a couple of nights with extra work I'm back where I was. Well almost.
Since I had to waterstain again I took a picture outside for fun, and for my memory album.

I also dropped the steel back in just to take a "before oiling" kinda memory pic.

That's all for tonight.
Now it's time for a beer and watch the sundown...

Rino

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice work!

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote