THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Some old Brno's are getting new life on budget
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Some old Brno's are getting new life on budget
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 9,3x74R
posted
Early this year some Brnos found their way into my home. I felt for something new to do and decided to give them a a new life.

They were ripped apart and I'm doing some small changes on the metal, safeties etc, and I will make new stocks on them.

Will be continued.

Rino

Posts: 249 | Location: Oevre Eiker, Norway / Winterton RSA | Registered: 07 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 9,3x74R
posted Hide Post
The 600 has got some metal work and a new safety.

Rino

Posts: 249 | Location: Oevre Eiker, Norway / Winterton RSA | Registered: 07 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is that some sort of lock on the wing safety?

Posts: 1352 | Location: South Puget Sound, WA | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I think EAW makes one like that, and I know Satterlee does.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of igorrock
posted Hide Post
Not EAW but Recknagel. It´s safety for safety wing.

Posts: 410 | Location: Finland | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 9,3x74R
posted Hide Post
That is correct. This one is made in Norway though..
It prevent the safety to accidentally be pushed out of the backer position when walking in dense bush etc.

Rino

posted Hide Post
Hello - Do you have plans to alter the triggers? Triggers on these actions are their sole "issue" IMHO.

Posts: 14 | Location: Southland, NZ | Registered: 12 June 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 9,3x74R
posted Hide Post
I agree with you. The triggers need some attention.
I'm pretty lucky though, I have a very competent gunsmith close by.
It's no good to touch The trigger system for a novice like me

Rino

One of Us
Picture of 9,3x74R
posted Hide Post
The 416 metal.

Rino

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of igorrock
posted Hide Post
quote:
This one is made in Norway though..

I think you have bought it from Ragnar Hansen. He sells Recknagel parts.

Posts: 410 | Location: Finland | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 9,3x74R
posted Hide Post
The 600 are getting new furniture.

Rino

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9,3x74R:
The 416 metal.

Nice project. Will you keep the third bolt that screws into the rear sight base. I presume you will be bedding the whole of the sock to the action and barrel, rather than having a free floating barrel?

Posts: 985 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I'm a huge fan of the BRNO's. Keep us posted on the progress!

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 3 I am building for client. Will end up with Duane's bottom metal, La Pour safeties and killer wood, oh and the classic German octagon to round with a full rib barrel profile on each of them. This project will take me a while.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 9,3x74R
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heym SR20:
Nice project. Will you keep the third bolt that screws into the rear sight base. I presume you will be bedding the whole of the sock to the action and barrel, rather than having a free floating barrel?

The action/barrel is bedded down in the stock yes, and I have kept the 3rd screw just as the original BRNO barrels. I feel it's needed with that second recoil block bedded down in the fore end.
Will post a pic later..

TC1.
I'll post pics during the progress. My projects are slow at the moment though, it's summer and less time for hobbies.

Rino

One of Us
Picture of 9,3x74R
posted Hide Post
The 30-06 (600) is soon about to move into its new home.
There is room for a few minor adjustments, install a grip cap and maybe a ivory fore end before the final sanding and oiling of the stock.
I haven't decided about a ebony fore end though.. Your thoughts?
The stock were moistened with water for the photo shoot Smiler

Rino

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
That is a dramatic piece of wood. Regarding the forend, I like them both ways. Nothing wrong in my mind at least leaving it as is.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2813 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My opinion on ebony tips is they go on boring wood, and not on nice wood. Something to dress up an otherwise nondescript stock.

Yours has decent figure in the forearm, so I would leave it be.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice stick of wood which can only get better with age.

Stephen

Posts: 538 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: 14 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you given thought to what you'll do with the take off stocks, the one for the '06 in particular.

Posts: 388 | Location: Aroostook County, Maine | Registered: 09 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 9,3x74R
posted Hide Post
Heym SR20
Here's the inside of the 416 stock

Gojoe, I'm affraid that the 06 stock is gone. There seem to be a demand for original 600 and 601 stocks.

Rino

One of Us
Picture of 9,3x74R
posted Hide Post
The steel on the 416 is finished and are being inspected by the alpha female of my home.

Rino

posted Hide Post
They are coming out well. Im keen to see any updates as imhave a coupke of zg47s in ghe ssfe im considering making new stocks for and cleaning up all the metalwork.

One of Us
Picture of 9,3x74R
posted Hide Post
This project has been down for a while. I just lost it and have had plenty of other things to do like shuffle snow and walk Amie (my dog) and burn enormous amounts of firewood.

Anyways, I finally managed to kick my self in the butt, and the other night I took the project out of the safe.
I spent the first evening just watching it and tried to remember my plan for the stock.

No guts no glory. I grabbed the stock and cut it to a suitable length and then cut the ebony I had decided to use.
The ebony was then fitted and glued on.
After couple of days, I started to rasp the ebony and very light wood started to show. This was not what I want so I cut it off and started over again.

This time I checked the piece of ebony before mounting it.
The new piece of ivory also has some lighter parts but I decided to give it a try.

Shaping the outside and barrel channel took all night but st least I remembered to take a pic.

I have started to shape the ivory but for some reason I had to stop. I'm not sure if this is what I want.

So... I have put the action/barrel back in the wood. More cooffe and more sitting and watch it.

Need to figure out what's wrong.

Rino

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your drinking just coffee. That's what's wrong. Aren't you supposed to be sipping akevitt?

Just my two cents, but methinks the fore end tip is now a bit pointy/wedge shaped. I'd cut it back 1/2" and make is a bit more rounded.

Great work, so far. Looking forward to the final.

Jeremy

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
9,3x74R
Food for thought.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5239 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 9,3x74R
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your input.
Like i wrote earlier tonight, I have only started to shape the ebony.
I think the forearm are too chunky. And I am trying to slim it as we speak.

God knows how this is going to be in the end

Rino

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think in the end it will be quite nice.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Man. That is looking real good overall in that last picture. Looking forward to see how you shape the top edge - blunt or pointed.

Posts: 5239 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Another just for reference.

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're killing me Terry!

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TC posted exactly what I was thinking. Except, in my mind there is a whole rifle.

Jeremy

One of Us
Picture of 9,3x74R
posted Hide Post
@ TC1.

AWESOME!

Rino

One of Us
Picture of 9,3x74R
posted Hide Post
A small update.
I believe the pics tell the story here.

Rino

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Nice work so far, plugs lined up with the grain. Have you considered using a steel grip cap? Seems like it would top off the style nicely. I have one custom with a ebony cap and it's not nearly as elegant.

One of Us
Picture of 9,3x74R
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
Have you considered using a steel grip cap?.

Yes I have considered steel.

I know that there is several of you guys that use a Brno or CZ action (600,602 or 550) either as an original rifle or in any kind of custom configuration.

I use both the 600 and 602s. I can only speak for my self but for me the ultimate action is the original old one with the integrated peep. I can't think of a better action/rifle for a good hard working safaririfle for an affordable price.

In my part of the world these integrated peep ones happens to be scarce and harder to find each day.

Both of my custom 602s (375 H&H and 416 Rigby) has the newer actions without those sought after peeps. And this has bothered me ever since I bought them.

Therefore I was very happy and pleased when I got to know John McLaughlin on a rifle site on Facebook,and he told me he could make his "Rigby style peeps" to fit a Brno action.

Halleluja. For me this is not a second best option but in my mind a top grade nice and "historic" upgrade to our great rifles.

What do you think? It looks great huh

Btw. I KNOW that these peeps work even better than they look! Can't wait to try them out.

Rino

One of Us
Picture of 9,3x74R
posted Hide Post
It seems like most of the stock shaping is done.
The stock finally fit me the way I want, it feels good and the rifle point well.
Now it's just the small details that need to be fixed before oiling. The metal is also in for some care.
God knows this has taken me way too many hours to do, but my time is for free. Thank God. ..

Rino

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh very nice. Those are classic beauties!
- Mike

Posts: 296 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 13 April 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 9,3x74R
posted Hide Post
Thank you Redstone.

Last night I had time to complete sanding with 380 grit.
When finished I dyed the stock with water.
Man, it's so cool and satisfying to see the potential of color and grain.

Next step before more sanding will be to cut to correct length.

I'm having a hard time to decide if to use a red rubber pad or make a black leather one..

Thoughts?

Rino