THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Looking To Build A Big Game Rifle
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking To Build A Big Game Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
About 6 or 7 years ago Sarco had some K98 Mauser actions they were closing out for less than $100.
I said , what the heck, I may find a use for it, so I purchased one.
Recently I got the idea of making this action into a .458 Win. Mag. I was advised by a local Gunsmith not to because the markings and condition showed it was made very late in WW2 and might not take the pressure.
Where can a person purchase a Magnum action that won't put a "Big Ding" in your bank account.

Thank for any suggestions.
Mauser K98

Posts: 193 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to gunbroker and find an Interarms already chambered in .458. It'll cost you a heck of a lot less than converting the Mauser you have and it'll have modern metallurgy and heat treating.

If you find one on 7mm Mag or .300 mag, it can be rebarreled to .458 and still be less than converting the mil-surp action.

Posts: 908 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 21 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Here's a 458 Whitworth with scope and case for $999

http://www.gunbroker.com/Aucti...x?Item=455067665#PIC

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3045 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
ditto both of the above, especially the one on GB, good deal

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Sarco again has good buys on Mauser actions. These have all the bells and whistles already on them but would have to have the boltface opened and then rails modified for feeding. Should be no problem for a nice 458 build.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
What is the code on your Mauser?, which BTW, if made in WW2, is not a K98, it is a 98K. BIG difference.

Posts: 17128 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I'm curious what should be 'opened up' on the action for 458 and why you would need new bottom metal and follower. I am aware the boltface,extractor,and rails have to be opened but not the other. Just curious as to why?

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just try to Get three of those 458 rounds into the mag box. Kinda cramped ain't it.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5503 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I just took the mauser action I just received from Sarco and placed 3 empty 458 cases easily in the magazine thru the top of action with bolt retracted. I realize they didn't have bullets and won't feed simply because the front of the rails aren't wide enough and the boltface/extractor aren't modified. There was plenty of room for any bullet and the cases were comfortably free in the magazine. Is it possible that the Sarco/Dumoulin actions have a different magazine profile? Does Sarco sell more than one version?

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
?

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Norseman what is your ?

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
Does Sarco sell more than one version?

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Norseman, I have no idea,they advertise only the one action. I tested mine and found it to hold 458 empty cases easily indicating to me it would be adequate with the proper bolt face and extractor and any feeding mods necessary for a 458 Win Mag build. Mine will be a 7x57.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Mauser 98K -

If you are going to a custom, then Duane is spot on, go all the way and get the deeper bottom metal and make sure you "snap-over" a round in the tube.

Those are the two things that are missing on my Whitworth - a 4th round down and a 5th in the tube.

But, if you can get a Whitworth for under $1K that's ready to go, then I'd overlook those two points. But again, if you touch the metal and/or stock, it's a worthwhile to go with the changes Duane recommends.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3045 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Everyone has their own ideas about a custom. My model 70 Classic 375H&H will only hold 2 down and one in chamber,which to me means it will hold three in the magazine as I am not one who favors 'snapping' the extractor over the rim on a round no matter how many or who has done it umpty ump times. I personally don't believe in it. As to opening the rails I understand and agree that it will probably be necessary to feed properly. I did not in any way mean to imply I didn't think it necessary. My Model 70 holds only 3 down due to a mistake in building and could easily be upped to 4 down with a new floorplate and follower I imagine. The stock is a David Miller laminate and I inletted the top first (as is my practice) and then the bottom when I realised the stock was slimmer top to bottom than a standard stock ( I think David Miller uses a wider magazine box than standard as he also uses one piece bottom metal) so I had to cut a thin sliver off the top of the magazine box causing the reduced capacity. I used the gun in Africa for 7 years with no problems that way. I cannot ever remember taking more than 3 shots at a game animal without having more than enough time to reload. I shot my first Elephant with it at eyeball to eyeball distance and still got in a second shot as the Elephant whirled and ran. I was being backed up by a PH with a 458 - he got in one shot . Still lost the Elephant.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is not just deeper. If you want any crf rifle to feed right, the mag box must be sized for the cartridge used. Of course there is a big difference in a rifle feeding and feeding right.
Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote