New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pre64 factory finish.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What smiths may encounter when working over the pre64.

The underside of a McMillan as it comes from the factory:

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TwoZero
posted Hide Post
I've never seen the allure of the mod70 action pre 64 or otherwise...

Compared side by side FN mausers and BRNO 98's are generally better finished and even today go for far less on the used market.

But the pre-64 has a certain cache for various reasons, and more power to those who are able to profit thereby.

Posts: 270 | Location: Bay Area, CA | Registered: 19 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It may bother some that the underside action surfaces are rough on Pre-64 M70s but to me it matters not. I've had a bunch of factory original old M70 rifles and several customs based on Pre-64 M70 actions and all have looked good to my eyes and all functioned well--truth be told, flawlessly. Like beautiful women, they all have minor flaws if you look closely, but it's the overall package that counts.

What does the gunmaker have to deal with when working on a Mauser? Well, the bolt handle, shroud/safety, bolt release and flooroplate/trigger guard for starters. Paying for all that is a wee bit more expensive than polishing out the roughness on old M70s, isn't it?

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
The only thing that might be troublesome in the posted photos is the feed ramp.

And even that probably functions perfectly, tool marks and all.

But if it doesn't, a bit of stoning will fix it lickety split.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13399 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since when have custom rifles been primarily about basic function?... Big Grin
Dressing it up just to look good only above the woodline dont gel with me.
I have my custom metal made smooth clean and true,top to bottom,inside and out.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
Comparing the two photos........I'll take a rough pre-64 over anything with a fluted bolt. Smiler

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
wonder what the price difference is in these actions. Pre 64's range from $500 to $650. Any idea as to the McMillan price?

Posts: 3059 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 19 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The McMillan G30 action lists for $1450 plus $250 for a Jewell Trigger plus bottom metal.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, there you go. Silk purses CAN be made out of sow's ears, but in the end you will have spent enough to have just gone straightaway to the Gucci store and bypassed the stockyard.

That said, give me the old stuff that awaits my tender ministrations. More character to be found there.

Posts: 331 | Location: Annapolis,Md. | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can do a lot of work to an action for $1400.

Whinefail.

SCI Life Member
DRSS

"In those savage countries success frequently depends upon one particular moment; you may lose or win according to your action at that critical instant."

Sir Samuel Baker

Posts: 297 | Location: New Scotland, Canada | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote