New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just finished this one up
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A custom for a client built on a 1903 Springfield action incorporating many Mauser features into the build. Not my typical style of stock, this one has much more American style.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very classy! Who did the engraving?

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is the last engraving Charles Lee did for me before he moved back to the UK. I miss working with him already.
Steve

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wonderful!

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 891 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice work Steve ! Lots of neat features on that action. The Mauser Bolt stop/release is interesting, does it function as an ejector as well ? The rear square bridge looks much better than the standard Springfield "hump". I bet this project took a long time to complete.

Wyatt

Posts: 239 | Location: Southeast USA | Registered: 01 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wyatt,
the Mauser bolt stop does indeed function as an ejector as well. Some of the other Mauser type features are the bolt handle and the re-shaping of the rear tang. I can not seem to build a rifle without some British influence so the H&H pattern 1/4 rib and front sight.
Steve

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful inletting.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
That's sure is a looker...nice work!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Was the Mauser style bolt stop, release, ejector a difficult mod or relatively easy? I have contemplated this on my Springfields at length.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The hard part of the bolt stop conversion is getting a good weld on a Springfield. The machining is relatively straight forward.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Looks very nice.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have not done it on a Springfield but have on a model 54 Winchester. Inthis case, it is only a bolt stop with no ejector, of course. A relatively easy conversion on the 54; probably not quite so much so on a Springfield. Who has done one on a P14 or Remington Model 30? Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3533 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Real nice !
I like the stock contour above the trigger guard..
Curious about the caliber ? ...tj3006

Posts: 605 | Location: OR | Registered: 28 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Leeper:
Have not done it on a Springfield but have on a model 54 Winchester. Inthis case, it is only a bolt stop with no ejector, of course. A relatively easy conversion on the 54; probably not quite so much so on a Springfield. Who has done one on a P14 or Remington Model 30? Regards, Bill.

1917 Remingtons, done a few on those. I think I still have one in the shop. I will get a pic. Of course not as nice and this one by far. Nice work.
Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very tastefully executed firearm. Is that a LaPour safety?

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes that is one of Ed Lapour's safeties.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skb:
Yes that is one of Ed Lapour's safeties.

I like the look it gives the 03 as opposed to the cocking knob. It looks more like sporting rifle, just my opinion and we know what opinions are like.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful from every angle...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Lee Baumgart
posted Hide Post
Steve,

I like it a lot. Beatiful rifle, thanks for sharing it with us.

Lee

Posts: 570 | Location: Vancouver, WA | Registered: 28 June 2010Reply With Quote