New
Find
Notify
Tools

Peruvian action value?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hoping someone can give me an idea of the value of a Peruvian Mauser action. Bridge has not been drilled or tapped and the emblem is sharp. Don’t know if it is large or small ring but it was going to be used for a 7x57 build. Bolt is also included.

Thanks,

Jay

Posts: 870 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It's a large ring assuming it is a 98 pattern. If it is a 91, then it is a 91, small ring, cock on closing, no inner ring etc. a 91.
Made by FN, so among the best. Unfortunately, or fortunately, prices on all military actions are way down because young guys do not know what to do with them, and it is not cheap to do it.
I have a bushel of them for $250, if that gives you any idea.

Posts: 17136 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amen to that. DCPD...Hardly a bolt gun on the range anymore...All AR's with muzzle brakes..yeah, even on 223's

The Large ring, small thread Peruvian is a keeper

Posts: 3470 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
Amen to that. DCPD...Hardly a bolt gun on the range anymore...All AR's with muzzle brakes..yeah, even on 223's

The Large ring, small thread Peruvian is a keeper

I purchased my Peruvian off this forum. The front ring was turned to small ring and it became a 250-3000. I love it.

I purchased the receiver from Trez Hensley.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oberndorf made a number of large-ring, intermediate-length M98's for Peru as well in the early days. A friend has a custom 7x57 on such an action.

They were beautifully made and they clean up very nicely.

Posts: 391 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
prices on all military actions are way down

doesn't seem like that on all of the auction sites.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lindy2:
quote:
prices on all military actions are way down

doesn't seem like that on all of the auction sites.

So, are they selling ?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes Mauser action prices are down.

6 months ago I won a auction for one of these intermediate, large ring, small thread, Obendorf, 1909 Peruvian complete missmatched action. Only $ 212.00 in nice shape.

I have to check with Fal Grunt as he and I run into, and bid against each other in some of these auctions/bids on Gun Broker.

J Wisner

Posts: 1442 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Action prices have sort of stayed the same for past decade at my local gun shows....but Lord Almighty, Mausers in original military dress just keep going up !

Posts: 239 | Location: Southeast USA | Registered: 01 August 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another option would be to have a rifle built with the action but I’m not sure I have the budget for that. Something simple but classic. I would not even know where to start that process.

JDG

Posts: 870 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would not even know where to start that process.

First step would be to make a visit to your local bank.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doublegun:
Another option would be to have a rifle built with the action but I’m not sure I have the budget for that. Something simple but classic. I would not even know where to start that process.

JDG

Contacting a qualified gunsmith who knows Mausers would be a good start.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
REVISED: The sky is the limit for a minimal plain Jane professional quality stock plus the cost of the blank. Quality of the fit and finish and the price will vary from maker to maker. From thousands to 5 figures.

Then the barrel, trigger group and any hardware gets added to that cost. Making a cartridge case size change? Add $$$ for feeding issues that will need to be resolved.
Not all builders tackle or are qualified to remedy this issue. I've had several customs including ones built or owned by pro's that would not feed.
I had to learn the craft through trial and error and was successful.
Then there's the wait.
No intentions to scare anyone. Just trying to answer your concern about cost and give you some insight about "going custom".

What's your budget?

quote:
Originally posted by Doublegun:

JDG

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5122 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
If anyone has the Hots for one let me know.

Posts: 6405 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The budget Mauser build is not as cheap as some other projects. Military actions are slightly more expensive to build than a commercial action such as a Mark X , FN , Husqvarna ect. Therefore, it may be more cost efficient to sell the Peruvian and buy one of the above actions.

The Peruvian action has standard Mauser screw spacing however the Front action ring is longer than a standard Mauser 98. Also the magazine space is shorter. So a pre inlet 98 stock will not work. Check with Steve Bertram or some of the fellows that handle stock duplicating . A pattern stock can be modified to work for your action.

Budget barrels can be found from Brownells, Midway ect. They are not benchrest quality but work just fine for a hunting rifle. Be aware that most will have the threads cut for standard Large Thread Mausers. Here again the Peruvian action is different so you will need to look for a
Small Thread barrel.

J Wisner makes a nice 3 position Safety for Mausers.

Duane Wiebe as well as Swift Blackburn sell custom Mauser bottom metal.

Some talented Gunmakers on this board can help you with a welding a new bolt handle, fitting your components ect. Just do your homework first.

A budget Mauser will never be as cheap as they used to be. Neither are Trucks, Gas or Washing Machines !

To my eyes, a custom Mauser is the finest bolt action a guy can own.

Posts: 239 | Location: Southeast USA | Registered: 01 August 2014Reply With Quote