THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    333 Caliber and other off-caliber barrels.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

333 Caliber and other off-caliber barrels.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
While I think odd calibers are interesting, I tend to stay within the normal bullet families.

I have read several of Elmer Keith's books and was wondering if anyone had built a .333 bullet 333 OKH, 318 Westley Richards or the like and who made the barrel.

I can't see me personally taking the leap to build a rifle for a bullet diameter that is mostly killed off.

But I thought I would ask if anyone knows of a barrel manufactuerer that makes off-caliber barrels?

Posts: 7769 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
Krieger makes barrels for the 318 WR

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1086 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
Picture of Johan Kruger
posted Hide Post
I have just received my .333 barrel for a 333 Jeffery custom rifle project to compliment my 404 Jeffery and 500 Jeffery. I was unable to source a barrel from any of the more well known barrel manufacturers, but my gun smith was able to convince our local barrel maker to make one up.

Posts: 14 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 05 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
Lothar Walther will make a .318 Barrel and can screw and chamber it to fit a Mauser '98. Brass can be formed from the common .30-06.

Woodleigh make projjies for both the .333 and .318.

Considering the .318 was one (if not the) most popular pre WW1 chambering in an African light rifle, what's not to like ?

(The .333OKH and .338-06 are just clones)

Happy days.

Posts: 1432 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have seen a lot of custom rifles built in the 1920-1940's and none of them has ever been anything beyond a 270, 30-06, 35 Whelen, 9.3x62, 8x60.

So where did you come up with the idea that the 318 was the even a popular caliber.

I think Finn Aaggaard had said that he had never seen a 333 or 318 WR in person in Africa.

I have lived on 5 continents, and visited countless gunshops and gunshows and never seen either a 333 Jeffery or a 318 WR.

I bet there were more 33 and 405 Winchesters in Africa than the 318.

Posts: 7769 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you had wandered through the gun vault of Kenya Bunduki, in Nairobi, as I did in 1971, you would not have asked that question. The racks were filled with well worn WR and C&H .318's on Mauser actions, to be had for a song, mainly because ammunition was no longer available.

As a matter of fact, I just had one built for me on an FN commercial action, mainly because I have a good supply of .318 bullets I wanted to test.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Like you I tend to like the old calibers and I shot the .318 WR and the 333 Jefferys some years ago and I loved them..but they wouldn't do anything todays cartridges can do, and in fact they are not as good...The 30-06 loaded with custom 250 gr. bullets is a .318 WR for all practical purposes. The 338 is a better round than the .333....

the fact is, when its all said and done and the reloading data has been studied until its ragged, and a lifetime of wildcatting and using all kinds of calibers and its all is done and no place else to go, it dawns on most of us that the 30-06 is, in fact, the holy grail... salute

The oldies are nostalgic calibers and I can't think of a better reason to own them, they make a nostalgic person a happy hunter and thats worth a bunch...I enjoyed years of strange and wonderful calibers.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dorleacs are good aren't they?

quote:

One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Guess you were unlucky, On my 3 hunting trips to Africa on one of them I saw a very nice WR 318 takedown that my outfitter had...no ammo though.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a new .333cal Barrel for the .333Jeffery. Metfordrifled, London proofed.
28" long contoured after an original jeffery rifle owned by David Little of Kynoch, England.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xausa:
If you had wandered through the gun vault of Kenya Bunduki, in Nairobi, as I did in 1971, you would not have asked that question. The racks were filled with well worn WR and C&H .318's on Mauser actions, to be had for a song, mainly because ammunition was no longer available.

As a matter of fact, I just had one built for me on an FN commercial action, mainly because I have a good supply of .318 bullets I wanted to test.

Oh to have a time machine!

SCI Life Member
DRSS

"In those savage countries success frequently depends upon one particular moment; you may lose or win according to your action at that critical instant."

Sir Samuel Baker

Posts: 297 | Location: New Scotland, Canada | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
While I think odd calibers are interesting, I tend to stay within the normal bullet families.

I have read several of Elmer Keith's books and was wondering if anyone had built a .333 bullet 333 OKH, 318 Westley Richards or the like and who made the barrel.

I can't see me personally taking the leap to build a rifle for a bullet diameter that is mostly killed off.

But I thought I would ask if anyone knows of a barrel manufactuerer that makes off-caliber barrels?

WELL I HAVE A 'VINTAGE' ROCK ISLAND SPRINGFIELD 1903 [NOT AN A4] THAT WAS REBORED TO 333OKH. LOOKS JUST LIKE THE ORIGINAL BARREL. DAMNED THING IS IN A WINCHESTER M70 STOCK WITH REDFIELD PEEP AND REDFIELD BARREL BAND FRONT SIGHT....SOMEONE REFINISHED IT AS WELL.

OLE GIRL IS UGLY AS SIN AND DROPS BLK BEAR AND HOGS WITH AUTHORITY WITH 300 GRAIN SLUGS.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Wonderful Wyoming

That's because a fair few buy them, shoot them occasionally and keep them. They don't come up for sale that much.

You only have to mention you have a 333 Jeff and
people ask if it is for sale, at least that has been my experience.

318WR is very popular over here in Aus.
I enjoy shooting mine.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Like you I tend to like the old calibers and I shot the .318 WR and the 333 Jefferys some years ago and I loved them..but they wouldn't do anything todays cartridges can do, and in fact they are not as good...The 30-06 loaded with custom 250 gr. bullets is a .318 WR for all practical purposes. The 338 is a better round than the .333....

the fact is, when its all said and done and the reloading data has been studied until its ragged, and a lifetime of wildcatting and using all kinds of calibers and its all is done and no place else to go, it dawns on most of us that the 30-06 is, in fact, the holy grail... salute

The oldies are nostalgic calibers and I can't think of a better reason to own them, they make a nostalgic person a happy hunter and thats worth a bunch...I enjoyed years of strange and wonderful calibers.

+1 own them shoot them if you want but to say they are better then the newer more common rounds doesn't hold up.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agree.

Those who might say that need to get out and try a few more calibres.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote