THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    A preview of the 2014 ACGG Raffle Rifle
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A preview of the 2014 ACGG Raffle Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm proud to be the chairman of the 2014 ACGG rifle project. This litttle action is going to be used for a 25-20 and the theme of the rifle will revolve around the ever famous Annie Oakley. The stock work is being done by Sharon Dressel, metal work by Mike Ullman and engraving by Roger Kehr.

In progress photos will be posted from time to time. Thanks to Matthew Peake of Brownells for this photo. Raffle tickets will not be available for a while yet, but I'll sure let you know.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, that is tiny. Who makes that action?

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 826 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
That will be an awesome little rifle Duane. Can't wait to see future WIP photos. I am certain we all will be drooling all over our keyboards as usual! tu2 popcorn

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8344 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The action is made by Martin Hagn, BC Canada, fellow ACGG member. Just receivced the news from Mike Ullman that Kreiger has graciously made a donation of the barrel

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am looking forward to following this one! Duane, any idea what kind of barrel you are going to make?

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1476 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I hear Sharon builds some stunning stocks!

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fal Grunt:
I am looking forward to following this one! Duane, any idea what kind of barrel you are going to make?

The barrel will be an octogan to round with some bands at the transition point. The gun is going to have only iron sights and will not be set up for a scope. I am also going to do some work to the action and make the sling studs, sights and I beleive we are going to do a metal endcap on the forearm. It is going to be a very petite rifle.
Michael

One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
Like many others, I am excited to follow this one through production. I'll certainly invest in some raffle tickets too.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
That is a sweet little action.

Sharon is sending one my way for smoke pulls so I can get started on the engraving design.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1631 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well heck. Looks like I'm going to be buying more raffle tickets. The last lottery I won was the draft lottery in 68. My number would have made me "safe" but I'd already enlisted.

Jerry Liles

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Michael, Roger and myself are very excited about working on this project. I saw this little action on Martin Hagn table at the guild show when I was walking by. I couldn’t get to it fast enough to get my hands on it. I had the action so much at the show everyone was coming to our table to see it. Everyone thought it was my action. I’ll be picking out a piece of wood for the project in the next few weeks. We might have a piece or two around to choose from. We’ll keep you up dated to what’s going on with it.

www.dressels.com

www.dressels.com
dressels@charter.net

Posts: 2 | Location: Yakima,WA | Registered: 05 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
This will be a neat project to watch!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Super project and Sharron welcome to AR.

Michael J

Michael J

Posts: 485 | Location: Lakewood Colorado | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am curious as to how the project is chosen and how the folks that work on the project are chosen.

By the entire guild, by a committee, or do the makers volunteer and then choose?

Does the guild pay for most of the materials except those that are "graciously" dontated?

Looks like its going to be another great ACGG project! Perhaps it could be used to promote the custom gun industry to young women as well, seeing how Ms. Dressel is crafting the stock.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
I am curious as to how the project is chosen and how the folks that work on the project are chosen.

By the entire guild, by a committee, or do the makers volunteer and then choose?

Does the guild pay for most of the materials:

22 WRF:" You know, I'm glad you asked! After 30 years, this seems to be one of the best
kept secrets!

The process: A BOD member is assiogned to be the chariman of ACGG project number XXX.

In this case, I drew the short straw...now I look around for qualified volunteers. This was for me the easiest part: Mike Ullman immediately volunteered, Sharon jnumped on board and I did a little tail twisting with Roger Kehr (Scollcutter)

Sharon liked Martin Hagn's mini...(we all did) and it was Sharon's idea to pay tribute to someone almost as tall as she is...Annie Oakley!

The treasurer of the Guild will advance funds to pay for various compopnents to minimize the financial impact on the participants.

There is a formula to divide the spoils of the raffle and is dependent on the number of tickets sold.

The more tickets sold, the more the participants will receive on "payday".

So...it is in the best intrests of the Guild to promote the projects(s)???

Maybe not : As the project chairman..and I have to confess that....yes I am a member of the ACGG and further...I am on the Board of Directors. I don't think I ever acknowledged that before!??

Anyway...I am now the subject of a complaint to the ACGG Ethics Committee!

How outrageo;us" I actually promoted the above mentioned project on AR . Shit! how bad can it get? Baby Rapers...step aside!! You are now in the big time! I had the gonads to ac tually promote a Guild project...can't get worse than that !

I'm sure this posting will generate yet an other ehics complaint....wish I really gave a shit !

except those that are "graciously" dontated?

Looks like its going to be another great ACGG project! Perhaps it could be used to promote the custom gun industry to young women as well, seeing how Ms. Dressel is crafting the stock.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Wiebe:

Let me get this straight. Somebody complained to the ethics committee because you, as Chairman of the project, promoted the project here on AR? bewildered

If I am correct in my understanding of the complaint, I fail to see any rational reasoning behind it. If the project is intended to promote the American Custom Gunmakers Guild then how in the world could it be unethical to post details of the project on a Website where there are thousands upon thousands of gun loonies who like custom guns?

I think the complainant is jealous because he wasn't chosen to participate in the project!

Not only do I think that AR is a perfect place to promote the ACGG, but as I stated, I think the ACGG has a wonderful opportunity to promote the Guild, custom guns, and the craft of gunamaking to young women.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Petty politics! Does it never end?

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 826 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
22WRF; Probably not because I promoted it on AR, but that I promoted "too soon"

The reason given is that it may take away attention to the present project. One is to believe that a potential ticket purchaser will withhold his $20.00 to await a project he likes better.

Yes, I think new ground has been broken with the inclusion of Sharon as stockmaker. In all fairness, I did not detect blatant opposition to this choice.

I do stress that she was not chosen becauuse she's female, she was chosen because she has the fire in the belly and the unique sense of perfection to help create a tribute to "Little Miss Sure Shot"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quote["The reason given is that it may take away attention to the present project. One is to believe that a potential ticket purchaser will withhold his $20.00 to await a project he likes better.]"Quote

In my circles they call that 'pure speculation'

"piss on em"

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clowdis:
quote:

Petty politics! Does it never end?

I would like to know who filed the ethics complaint!

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Duane, you sure your not just a little late with your membership duesWink

Sounds like maybe THEY should post all the guild builds...the web sight sure aint much!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I enter my approval of your action, will it negate the original complaint?

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 31 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm...who knows?

posted Hide Post
Each year the American Custom Gunmakers Guild puts together a team of craftsmen for a special fireams project to be raffled off. A metalsmith, stockmaker and engraver are the major players on the team with a coordinator to oversee the whole thing. These guns are usually lined up 3 or 4 years in advance. Promotion is done on the current project and tickets are sold until the winning ticket is drawn. No other future projects are promoted during that year to be fair to the craftsmen involved and maximize ticket sales. Mr. Wiebe, as project chairman of the 2014 rifle chose to promote the project even though it isn't due for another couple of years. He is not being investigated by our ethics committe, by the way, for these actions. Furthermore the Guild handles these issues internally, away from public comment.
Thank you, Chuck Grace, President, American Custom Gunmakers Guild

one of us
posted Hide Post
Screw fair. The issue isn't Duane promoting his product the issue is other project members not promoting theirs. Their choice.

Isn't the purpose of the Guild to promote awareness of the Guild and interest in fine custom firearms? What better way then introducing the project to the public during the planning stage?

Howard
Moses Lake, Washington USA
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2337 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I completely agree with Howard.

Plus, the number of tickets I buy each year is not going to depend on what may be coming down the pike in a couple of years...

We love watching such a piece come together. That's why we're all here.

Thank you, Duane, for all you are doing!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chuck,

With all due respect, I believe you are looking at this totally wrong.

For the general public, and for most gun buyers, there is a great deal of "mystery" about what exactly goes in to making a custom rifle. What Duane has done here, and over the past several years on AR, is to de-mystify some of that process.

Seeing the amount of time/effort/resources that go into building a custom rifle can only help people appreciate the value that they receive, increasing the value of the ACGG brand.

It doesn't surprise me that the Guild is taking this stance, it has always struck me as a Good Old Boys closed society as evidenced by the minimal attendance at the guild show, mainly by the same people every year standing by the same tables.

A lot of people think that custom rifles are ridiculously overpriced, but few hang onto that view once they see the entire process. I used to be one of those people, now I wonder how in the hell the rifles can sell so cheap.

With regards to marketing, I can't see how free advertising for the guild and the annual rifle project is a bad thing. By starting the advertising now you will basically have a three year campaign, which will probably serve to cause many people to be become emotionally invested in the project and be more likely to buy multiple tickets. The Silver Lining Scholarship rifle was a huge success, IMO because it followed this path.

The fact that the other projects have chosen to stay behind closed doors says more about them than it does Duane's project. Just because they have chosen to not promote their projects should not disqualify every future project from thinking outside the box.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Grace:
Each year the American Custom Gunmakers Guild puts together a team of craftsmen for a special fireams project to be raffled off. A metalsmith, stockmaker and engraver are the major players on the team with a coordinator to oversee the whole thing. These guns are usually lined up 3 or 4 years in advance. Promotion is done on the current project and tickets are sold until the winning ticket is drawn. No other future projects are promoted during that year to be fair to the craftsmen involved and maximize ticket sales. Mr. Wiebe, as project chairman of the 2014 rifle chose to promote the project even though it isn't due for another couple of years. He is not being investigated by our ethics committe, by the way, for these actions. Furthermore the Guild handles these issues internally, away from public comment.
Thank you, Chuck Grace, President, American Custom Gunmakers Guild

I hope your investigation results in some new policies for the ACGG........you should be promoting all your projects and this could be the perfect example of another way to do it. You just have to have an open mind to change.

My hat is off to Mr. Wiebe for sharing the details of this project and I would love to see the details of some of the other ACGG projects. Maybe this could be used as a "how-to-example"!

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If the Guild suffers from anything, it's a lack of promotion. Duane is one of the most prolific members of the ACGG when it comes to promoting the organization, its programs, and its members.

Duane's posts not only promote the 2014 Guild project, they promote awareness of the process in-general.

Posts: 988 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
And to add to the discussion as an Associate Member of the guild, there are a lot of us with a lot of valuable business experience who are willing to help the guild by serving as committee members, but for some reason the professional members are afraid to let us. The guild is happy to take our money, how about letting us participate? Most Associate Members who have had a guild member build them a rifle can afford to do so because we were professionally and economically succesful. I have never met a gunsmith who was wealthy from gunsmithing, and only a few who were truly comfortable financially.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3813 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
DITTO what Cas II said and by the way Chucky I don't know you from Adam but you do come across as rather narrow minded. You might want to hop across that high fence & see things from the publics point of view. You will grow from the experience.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

Posts: 8344 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
The ACGG is the most dysfunctional and self-defeating professional organization I’ve ever come across (and I’ve been an associate member for years). Chuck’s explanation of the Guild’s position on marketing is a telling example of how the Guild gets even the most simple business concepts completely wrong. I wish them all the best but it’s pretty much a lot cause.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
The concept of the ACGG sounds good..........but I imagine it's a bit frustrating being one of the craftsman members.

Duane has likely done more to positively promote the ACGG by simply sharing his projects and methods here than the rest of the organization combined.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, what's the 2012 rifle?

Jerry Liles

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
quote:
No other future projects are promoted during that year to be fair to the craftsmen involved and maximize ticket sales.

Chuck,

As I recall, tickets are $20 each. I have great difficulty believing that anyone with the financial resources to even contemplate custom rifles is going to say to themselves:

"Oh my God, I see that the 2014 raffle rifle is a single shot 25-20; therefore, I am not going to buy a ticket for the 2012 and 2013 because I need to save my $20."

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10055 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Liles:
Well, what's the 2012 rifle?

Jerry Liles

+1...

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
quote:
No other future projects are promoted during that year to be fair to the craftsmen involved and maximize ticket sales.

Chuck,

As I recall, tickets are $20 each. I have great difficulty believing that anyone with the financial resources to even contemplate custom rifles is going to say to themselves:

"Oh my God, I see that the 2014 raffle rifle is a single shot 25-20; therefore, I am not going to buy a ticket for the 2012 and 2013 because I need to save my $20."

Thats just too damn funny but that must be EXACTLY what chucky is thinking.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ACGG #27: A Remington Model 1894 Pigeon Gun
Metalsmith: Larry Peters
Stockmaker: Doug Mann
Engraver: Kenny Majors

Metal finishing by Doug Turnbull and Pete Mazur.
Photos by Steven Dodd Hughes

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Utterly magnificent!!!! Wow!

SDH, you're a gentleman for picking off this slow pitch for Chuck. Perhaps he'll expound a bit...?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I can afford a ticket or three for that and still have enough for 2013 and 2014. Beautiful shotgun. Just beautiful.

Jerry Liles