THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Luxus Custom Ruger #1 in 450-400 NE
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Luxus Custom Ruger #1 in 450-400 NE
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am an African hunting nut, and love the traditional rifles as part of the whole experience. I've long wanted a Farquharson falling block single shot as a stalking rifle. During the early safari times in old Africa, single shot rifles were as much a part of the scene as were double rifles. I've looked at a few original Farquharsons in suitable calibers for Africa, but they were very expensive, usually rebarreled, and generally worn out. The Ruger #1 has always attracted me, but I'm a "wood guy', and was turned off my their plain stocks. Well, when Luxus announced that they would be offering custom, high-grade stocks for the Ruger #1, the wheels were set in motion. I have bought a number of blanks from Adam and Clay for other projects, and have been very pleased with the product quality and service. Well, my new Stalking rifle is nearing completion. It still awaits checkering, but it is certainly turning out to be above even my expectations. It is chambered in the 450-400 NE, a traditional cartridge that is rimmed, powerful enough for most game, but yet not too powerful as to be a bear to handle and shoot. It has the dark wood and even the traditional old red pad that I love! It's still at Luxus for checkering, but Adam and Clay said they would post the pix. Great rifle, and for far less than finding another custom #1 out on the market.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biebs, I think your rifle is on the Luxus website now.

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is it this one? I was just drooling over it this morning.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes it is!

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice! Beautiful rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an old Swaro 1.5x6 with the 3 pointed posts that will look the part.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never muched cared for #1's untill seeing this rifle. Very nice!

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Holy Crap Batman.

Super looking rifle. dancing

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.
They are all nice guns. Fit is perfect and the finish is very nice as well. Hand rubbed oil finish with all the pores filled properly, very nice.
Biebs gun there still needs the checkering done. It will be about 24 lpi.
We are building more with same quality of wood as Biebs gun above.
If you have any questions just email or call us anytime.

$1,995. for guns like above, fully finished, ready to go hunting. Limited numbers available, we will not be doing a great many of them. Various calibers available, please inquire.

Thanks again.

Adam

Posts: 609 | Location: Cincinnati | Registered: 25 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have done a few of these #1 projects on my own and can tell you $2K is a good deal!
Lets see what, caliber do I want??

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Adam...butt out! This is MY thread about Luxus Walnut. You'd think you owned the place or something!!!
Oh, never mind....I guess you do :-)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
eezridr, thanks. They are fun to do, and yes at that price it is cheap. That is the gun and all. The guns alone are $900 give or take.

Hey Biebs, I did not Hijack it you know! lol. Just letting fellas know. I will get you another blank at like half off or something...how about that? Smiler

Posts: 609 | Location: Cincinnati | Registered: 25 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AFreeman:
We are building more with same quality of wood as Biebs gun above.
Adam

I have one being done too, a Boddington edition in 450-400.....Adam, would the above quote be referring to it?
I think it shoud be done soon too

Rod

--------------------------------
"A hunter should not choose the cal, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong"
Bob Hagel

Posts: 977 | Location: Alberta, Canada. | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ChopperGuy
posted Hide Post
How about a left handed stock on a 300 H&H????? Cool

If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life. - Igor Sikorski, 1947

Posts: 676 | Location: Spring Branch, TX (Summers in Northern MN) | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HOLD IT RIGHT THERE CHOPPER GUY!

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5502 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AFreeman:
eezridr, thanks. They are fun to do, and yes at that price it is cheap. That is the gun and all. The guns alone are $900 give or take.

Hey Biebs, I did not Hijack it you know! lol. Just letting fellas know. I will get you another blank at like half off or something...how about that? Smiler

Can you do a #1 with a left handed stock with similar wood, checkering, etc, for the $1,995 price?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is a beautiful rifle!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
HOLD IT RIGHT THERE CHOPPER GUY!

Jim, so much for loyalty, huh!!! Screw Chopper...now you'll have lots of time for my Waffenfabrik Hein 450 Dakota, huh? :-)

one of us
Picture of ChopperGuy
posted Hide Post
Just kidding......

Have enough rifles I don't have time to shoot now!

dosen't mean I don't need a couple more Big Grin

If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life. - Igor Sikorski, 1947

Posts: 676 | Location: Spring Branch, TX (Summers in Northern MN) | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
More than we need...less than we want. The story of our lives, for sure!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just to be curious, who is doing the stockwork for them? The stockmaker who is making these rifles must be in some third world country.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5502 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's a small little country, called "CNC-land".

One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
Just to be curious, who is doing the stockwork for them? The stockmaker who is making these rifles must be in some third world country.

What's up with this comment? I think it looks damn good.

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vagrouser
posted Hide Post
I think he was referring to the price not the quality of the work. Hard to pay someone to stock a rifle like that and turn any profit. BTW beautiful rifle Jon!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim Kobe is referring to pricing...but welcome to the world of "cookie cutter stocks"

They are not customs by a long shot,... laser generated copies

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:
Jim Kobe is referring to pricing...but welcome to the world of "cookie cutter stocks"

They are not customs by a long shot,... laser generated copies

Ahh, I get it. Thanks Duane.

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Duane, it's August! Are my Heyms on the bench yet??? That will be a pair to put just about anything else to shame! How 'bout a couple work-in-progress pix?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gents, one and all,
First off these Ruger rifles are very limited in numbers, and they are in fact done in house, completely. The stocks are turned on a proprietary CNC instead of a pantograph, and then the stocks are hand fitted. They are not full on custom built rifle but they are a custom stock within reason. Again and I stress they are small numbers, less than 50, and will do nothing to harm anyone’s custom business.
Again, they are and will be very limited.

The reason for doing them in the first place was essentially as a test bed for our company. We are building our own rifles very soon and the Ruger No 1 was a gun design we used for comparison for the needed steps in producing a rifle. In the midst of this project we found about five steps in the production of the Ruger stock that could be eliminated and thereby making the production of the stock alone far more efficient.
These guns were done simply for the gathering of knowledge in stock production with exceptionally high efficiency in mind which translates to a cost savings not just for our company but for the end buyers.
That, coupled with Luxus's unique position in the gun wood world, allows us to offer these guns at this price, and yes, they are still profitable to us.

The price is attractive and the workmanship is very high quality. A CNC does 95% of the work then the hands of skilled craftsmen and women take over. No different than a couple of gun makers out west say in Dakota’s and surrounding states, except for the fact that we approached this whole concept with the goal of being extremely highly efficient and designed and manufactured our own CNC technology and software, unlike anything in the industry.

BTW, our rifle will be an exciting one, a beautiful and sleek and accurate rifle....and you can bet the wood on it will be damn nice too, and all at a retail price most can afford thereby leaving you a little extra jingle in your pocket for hunting tags!

Best,

Adam

One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
Adam, could you let me know how mines coming along? Its a Boddington in 450-400
Maybe theres some pics you could post here?

Rod

--------------------------------
"A hunter should not choose the cal, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong"
Bob Hagel

Posts: 977 | Location: Alberta, Canada. | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rod
I believe yours is being checkered presently.
Ill see what photos we have or see about taking some for you.
It looked real nice last I seen it.
Adam

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Hey Duane, it's August! Are my Heyms on the bench yet??? That will be a pair to put just about anything else to shame! How 'bout a couple work-in-progress pix?

Ain't fair!

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Adam,
Sent you a PM and email. Interested in ordering one with a left handed stock.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
BTW, our rifle will be an exciting one, a beautiful and sleek and accurate rifle....and you can bet the wood on it will be damn nice too, and all at a retail price most can afford thereby leaving you a little extra jingle in your pocket for hunting tags!

Sorry to interupt, but are you introducing new metalwork for your rifle. In other words, are you producing your own action?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes,
We are building an entirely new gun here in the U.S. and will be doing so in our facility. We are now, but things are coming online for higher production.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fellas, as for the left handed Ruger's please contact my business partner Clay and inquire as to whats available. Cell is 513-260-6200.
Thanks.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Very nice and the price is attractive too. I think you'll do well with these.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Biebs, When you get tired of this one let me know!!!
It'd look great next to my Searcy/Luxus DR.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sold for $3,500!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
(Just kiddin' !!!) I'll have to reverse your Paypal payment!

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
LOL,,, You reversed it with the lost interest too... Right?

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote