New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oberndorf Action
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Normally I would not post this here, and its already been bid up a fair amount, but for anybody here on AR who is contemplating a custom Mauser Rifle and is planning to spend a fair amount of money on it could not go wrong buying this rifle for the action.

What a beauty!!!!!!!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Aucti....aspx?Item=185246465

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back in the day it was ok to tear an all matching gun like that down for the action.

Not any more.

Posts: 718 | Location: Utah | Registered: 14 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lots, maybe most, of these were single shots with a solid-bottom receiver. IIRC they were marketed under the name 'soldier's target rifle' or similar. Womack's and Speed's books would have more info but they're out in the shop right now.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
I can't see a rifle being worth that much except to a collector. For the action only - no way, not to me. the Mauser banner would be covered up by the scope base anyway, and wouldn't be so pretty with two holes drilled in the receiver. Big Grin

Isn't the S-42 or S-42G Oberndorf actions? I have one that I'll sell ya for half that price, and you won't even have to pull the barrel. Smiler

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
If you buy this rifle for the action, be prepared to pour a lot of money into it if you want anything other than a singleshot rifle for a rimmed cartridge. It's going to take a lot of high quality work to open the action and build the rails so the rifle would feed reliably. The current bolt face is fashioned to close on a single-feed rimmed cartridge so it might just be easier to use a replacement bolt.

If you're not careful you could end up with an expensive paperweight. (I'm trying to talk myself out of it)

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing that one will close at $1200+

Posts: 718 | Location: Utah | Registered: 14 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A Griffin & Howe or Jaeger side mount is a VERY viable alternative to the ubiquitous top mount. And anyone who would drill holes in a Banner deserves to have his treasure become trash in return for making such a blunder.

I'm with Duane on this one, IMO it's always worth it to go to great lengths to preserve the pedigree.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
Am I correct or not - about the S42 and S42G being made at the Oberndorf plant? Same tools, same people, same steel, same specs, same time?

KB

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote