New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rifle barrel reboring
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a rifle barrel with a .20 bore. It was exposed to the elements due to an accident and the bore is very dark. It does not appear to be pitted, just very dark. Who would y'all recommend to have it rebored and rifled so I could rechamber it to shoot standard .223 Rem? Assuming there is not deep pitting.

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 31 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cliff LaBounty in Oregon used to be the man who specialized in reboring rifle barrels.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just did a little research--apparently LaBounty retired. New owner is Jim Dubell, Delta Gunshop, Colville, WA, 509-684-5855.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you shot it to see if it truly is 'shot'?

Posts: 331 | Location: Annapolis,Md. | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike what rifle has a .20 bore ?

Going from .200 to .224 might not work. If it is a factory made action, a new barrel might be less expensive. Don't for get bolt face, magazine and feed ing modifications.

High Plains reboring does excellent work. They are in ND.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's a .20 Tactical. I want a common caliber. I'm a gunsmith and can rechamber and set back the barrel. Looks like a new barrel in in my future. Or....I have access to a new take-off barrel from a Rem 700 that might be the way to go. The original barrel is a heavy contour. The Rem is a sporter contour. Just what I need, another personal project gun.

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
IIRC, Cliff LaBounty has retired. He did good work though, I had him re-bore a 30/06 for me to 35 Whelan over 20 years ago. Jim Dubell of Delta G.S. was trained by Cliff and took over his business.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So is the 20 tactical built on a 223 case ?

If so Remington take off 223s are easily found.

One of Us
Picture of Smokin Joe
posted Hide Post

Posts: 403 | Location: CA | Registered: 30 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Jim Dubell has done two for me. The turn around was fast and the one I kept shoots great.

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The .20 Tactical is a necked down .223. The rifle is small frame single shot bolt action so I need to stay with the .223 size cartridge.

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I have used Danny Peterson in Arizona to rebore a shot out .270 barrel to .30-06 and he did a beautiful job. The is a pencil thin barrel with all integral furniture (rib, barrel band, front sight) and is also engraved. When I got it back, the exterior was in as good a shape as when I sent it to him, and it shoots right around one-inch groups with the only load I have tried which uses 180-grain Barnes-X bullets. Danny can be reached at www.cutrifle.com.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3818 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Al Siegrist is another that does fine work. I have a couple of custom revolvers that feature his rebore's.

Posts: 1572 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by artshaw:
Mike what rifle has a .20 bore ?

Going from .200 to .224 might not work. If it is a factory made action, a new barrel might be less expensive. Don't for get bolt face, magazine and feed ing modifications.

High Plains reboring does excellent work. They are in ND.

High Plains did a barrel for me. good work but took over a year to get it back

Posts: 129 | Location: mo | Registered: 18 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After reading an article on the old-time practice of sleeving the barrel, I an going to use a brand-new take-off Rem700 barrel in .223. Fabricate and install an external, epoxy-filled sleeve to get the heavy profile barrel I want. Full report on completion.

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Call JES reboring in Oregon, did a rebore/rechamber for me and I am very pleased with the price and timeline.

Im not sure if he does anything this small though...

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wayne York out of Pendleton, Oregon.

I've had excellent result's and most importantly ACCURACY! I was surprised that somebody in my backyard had that kind of gunsmithing experience and knowledge. I think he bought P.O. Ackley machinery. Give him him a call.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cut rifle is what he does, so reboring a .20 Tac to .223 Remington, I wonder if he can, I know you can if it was buttoned rifled. Technology is changing fast.
If you have any 20 Tac brass leftover, I would like to buy them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never had the ammo so no brass either.

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike
Up in Whittemore/Prescott, MI, there is a shop called Siegrist Gun & Machine, that does the work you're looking for.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had 3 barrels rebored recently by High Plains Reboring and all three shot and inch or better at 100 yards, thats darn good IMO..I will have more done in the future.

High Plains Reboring
Norman Johnson
243 14th Ave. NW
Turtle Creek, ND 58575
701-448-9112
nrjonsn@westriv.com

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41850 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote