THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Source for some nice stock blanks needed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Source for some nice stock blanks needed
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
Well 2 of my favorite suppliers have either retired or gotten out of the stock supplier business.

Looking for some nice wood that won't cost my kids inheritance. I'm keep find these sites that take a basic blank see 10% grain and call it exhibition. Not looking for $2000 blanks just some nice $200-400 pieces that will make a nice stock.

Cecil is still good. Bought my last couple of blanks from Calico. I know I need to tag along $$ in hand with the wife on one of her Vegas business trips. In the mean time suggestions.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
These people have some new lumber:
http://hunterbid.com/

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
These people have some new lumber:
http://hunterbid.com/

Good source.

I've picked up 3 blanks from them but I paid about twice+ your budget to get what I wanted.... but I wanted something special and structurally sound.

Zeke

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Yep I look at Hunterbid all the time. I'm just not a big Turkish fan. To me it is an expensive Claro. Nothing wrong with either. Often a touch wild for my taste.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are not opposed to eBay I occasionally look here:

Quaking Aspens

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Thanks Larry

dpcd had mentioned them. I "think" that is who he got his 9x49 stock from. I had gone on ebay but couldn't find them.

I appreciate the link

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
Try this place. Never have a lot of blanks, but they seem fairly priced.
Burls and More

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I mentioned Roger Vardy.
http://rogervardystockwood.com/
Exchange rate is good on money at this time. All wood is at least air dried for 10years.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try this site, There are a couple of blanks on site mow that might fit your requirements.

http://familygrade.blogspot.com/

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not looked at his inventory lately, but this fellow may have what you need. He is great to deal with and knows his wood.
http://www.oldtreegunblanks.com/

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll add one more. http://www.nzwalnut.co.nz/

Posts: 351 | Location: Junee, NSW, Australia | Registered: 13 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill Dowtin, Old World Walnut, has awesome wood for about $400 to $500 as a rule..All Russian walnut..I've used a lot of it. 406-771-0968

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41863 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like Presliks.

Craftsman

Posts: 1534 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Scott Wineland, Winelandwalnut.com

I have used quite a few of their blanks and felt the prices were always fair and the wood well dried. Thumbs up !!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chris Schofield at www.walnutgrovegunstocks.com had about 2000 blanks last time I was up there for a visit. They are all, iirc shown on his website, along with price.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I had been buying from Chris.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Cecil Freddie, Las Vegas NV. Last time I was there he had roughly 40,000 blanks in his sheds. Knows what he's doing and a very friendly guy to deal with.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would think that a person such as yourself would want to make a few bucks on the blanks as well as on the labor to turn the stock.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to invest a few bucks in some green wood at lower prices, let it dry over time, and then mark it up to the same prices you are paying dry wood suppliers. In other words, eliminate the middleman.

And for that, wouldn't you go to the same sources that they go to, meaning those who cut and saw the wood.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lindy 2, there are two thoughts on that subject. One, do it the way you suggested and the other let the customer bring his own wood.

With the way taxes are growing in the area of "inventory" to the businesses, it is better to have a supplier you trust hold on to the "inventory" for you and buy as you need it.

One does have to be aware of good deals that do come along and one does have to be careful with cash flow. Buying a green blank is a lot of work. You can't just buy it and forget about it. It must be turned regularly, checked for moisture, sealed, if it starts to warp pressure applied in the correct area to diminish the warpage..... lots of time better spent on the bench making clients happy.

Depending on where you live the humidity factor plays great havoc with wood. Wood also takes up a lot of space. A Stockmaker's shop gets full very quickly by itself without having to store a large inventory of wood. Don't get me wrong, if one has the space and the need...large customer base...a full wood selection is great. I worked for Fajen and we had a warehouse of wood to choose from. And yes, it had to be "managed" as new wood came in.

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

Posts: 311 | Location: Tygh Valley, OR | Registered: 05 November 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Take a look at "goby walnut" website.