THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Thoughts On Stainless and Walnut Together
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts On Stainless and Walnut Together
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted
These are the 99% finished pics of my 375 H&H.

Will get it in my hands in a week or so.....

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like it. I would also like to see what stainless would look like with a pale piece of wood. Maple, pale english, Maybe even myrtle but myrtle might be too yellow.

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the contrast between the SS and the walnut. Do you plan to have some engraving? Properly done engraving, with dark filling in the engraving, will set this rifle apart from the rest. Nicely done either way Boss Hoss.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
I've always really liked the contrast between SS & wood...yours in no exception.

If it were min thoug, I'd see if they could get a little sheen outta the shine.

Rod

--------------------------------
"A hunter should not choose the cal, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong"
Bob Hagel

Posts: 977 | Location: Alberta, Canada. | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is a nice rifle.Is this from the blank Chuck Grace worked on? It doesn't look like it.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure its from Luxus

Rod

"A hunter should not choose the cal, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong"
Bob Hagel

Posts: 977 | Location: Alberta, Canada. | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BH

very very nice indeed.

are you going to hunt that rifle?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Know what?...it's pretty darn nice!

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like that very much as well. Smiler Both for looks and functionally. I consider this a very practical combination. I dont think a little water or moisture will effect a properly finished and sealed stock but it can cause blue steel to rust up pretty quick sometimes. They should build more factory guns like this.

I also like the bright metal dark wood contrast. Perfect, I would not change a thing.

Posts: 1226 | Location: New England  | Registered: 19 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I like it and I do have a couple stainless wood rifles.
I agree with the other poster that a fine bead blast will tone down the metal and be a little more pleasing but thats just M.H.O..

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with that!

Posts: 2652 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another one.

This one was built on a SS Stiller Predator action and I decided to leave the action and Krieger barrel with no finish other than bead blasting (probably just being cheap here...). Stock from a piece of Black Walnut by Serengeti (now Kilimanjaro). This is primarily intended as a range/competition rifle, so I left out checkering which does not really add anything if the rifle is not wet. Caliber is .308 Win.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i saved a particularly accurate little 223 stainless ruger fro a boat paddle stock and put it into a nice piece of fairly dark american walnut a few years ago. the wood added so much to the character of the rifle that i ended up keeping it, but i still much prefer blued steel

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boss

WOW great wood.

Hal

Posts: 160 | Location: Montana | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thoughts On Stainless and Walnut Together

Hoss

Your rifle is beautiful, and part of reason this combo works is because your stock is very dark.

Winchester tried stainless on walnut about 15 years ago with much less satisfactory results as their rifles(at least the ones I saw) had either light brown wood or wood with a red tint.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
First Thank You for the comments!

dwwheels----funny you should say that as I am having another restocked (a Speedy built 6.5x284 sporter) in Trinidad by one of the advanced 3 year program students that is a little lighter than this one. Cannot wait to get it back as well.

Dall85----this was discussed at length and the final call was to wait. It is going to be a shooter and taken in the field hopefully to Australia in the future but I am still on the fence

cmfic---This was discussed and to bead blast it will not be an issue I can do that at anytime but just want to hold it in my hand to see how it contrasts---I kind of like it myself but the test is when it is in my hands out in the sunlight

shootaway----Yes that is a Luxus build starting from a factory rifle and to say I am satisified with the way it turned out is an understatement. The Luxus folks are a great bunch to deal with—everyone there is a gun and wood lover to put it loosely!

22WRF---Damn straight I will!!

Duane---coming from you that means a lot

fourbore---thanks and I agree that there is a market for good wood on a SS rifle. The blanks I use are all picked by hand obviously but are all very hard, dense and heavy for a reason.

mho---nice looking rifle----how does it shoot?

Again thank you all for the comments and I will post the pics of the next SS stocking job when I get them. It may be just me but being a wood fanatic the SS just seems to bring it to life more and by that I mean the details come out at you. The propriety finish that Luxus uses goes a long way to bring out everything in the blank IMHO dancing. The next one is the rifle Chuck Grace is finishing up and it will be just plain sick if I do say so myself.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I never thought SS & walnut went that well together, probably based on some of the M70s awhile back, but this looks really good. I agree that some highlighted engraving would really set it off. Gotta love Ruger #1s.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
<generalwar>
posted
Not for me. Prefer a traditional finish on a traditional gun. If you like stainless get something with a synthetic stock, and the gun will make some sense.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I dont post here much, but i want to clear up some things floating around. One, we are finishing up the Ruger stocks now and our purpose for making them was to prove out the CNC machines we designed and built to make our own stocks for the Luxus gun we are making in house. It helped us learn a lot about the stock making process.

When the Luxus Arms gun is ready to release we will post it on AR and we hope to do so in the near future. Thank you to all of our customers . We appreciate you. For anyone wanting more information about our gun please email us and we will include you on our press release.

Thankyou.

Regards,
LUX

Posts: 205 | Location: Mt . Orab OHIO | Registered: 12 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Boss Hoss

Absolutely gorgeous! I love wood/Stainless and have a few!

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
Nowhere near as nice as what's been shown, but here's a stainless Marlin .22 with a claro walnut stock.

Same receiver, heavy barrel, laminated black walnut stock.

I've seen some Cooper and Kimber varmint rifles with blued actions and scopes and stock hardware with stainless barrels and think they look pretty sharp.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 775 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
Here are some photos of my stainless custom. I am very happy with how it turned out but if I was doing it again I would go blued.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
M1....could you PLEEESE stop posting that gun of yours. Every time I see it, I get new ideas that I shouldnt afford right now shocker

That is one of my all time faves that I've seen on AR

Rod

Bob Hagel

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M1Tanker:
Here are some photos of my stainless custom. I am very happy with how it turned out but if I was doing it again I would go blued.

I have always thought that rifle looks great. Have you ever put a matte black scope and rings just to see how it would look?

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Bill, I wouldn't have second thoughts about SS on your rifle, I think it looks great. Who did the stock?

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the compliments on the rifle. I really do like having such a unique custom stainless rifle but the next one will be blued. Metal was done by James Anderson and the stock by Dean Zollinger.

I did try a matte black Leupold when I first received the rifle from the builder. But I figured I already had all the stainless I might as well stay with the look.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
M1, yours is exactly what I had in mind when I posted that I would like to see one with pale english walnut. For my taste, I wouln't change a thing. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
M1 Tanker, you have a PM.

Posts: 2652 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Trez Hensley
posted Hide Post
That's a good looking hunting rifle. It's not a traditional look, but I like it non-the-less.

Trez Hensley-ACGG
Custom Gunmaker
Curious about who Jesus is? Click hereChristianity-or- contact me

Posts: 485 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Trez Hensley:
That's a good looking hunting rifle. It's not a traditional look, but I like it non-the-less.

Do you want to do one (some of the Guild guys are funny about SS or alum)? Let me know what bolt action to get (I like the Kodiak and others)and the wood will be to your liking or I will not have Clay send it to you..... Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
From the first time I saw stainless and wood I've loved it. Yours is a very fine example of why I love the looks.

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote