New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lord I'm a cheap biocht
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just called Bansners and ordered a 300 Win Mag.
I already have a 300 short Ovis from him so I know what to expect.
Didn't dicker price or delivery date. An artist works best by their schedule.
I know I'll be getting the best working man's rifle money can buy.

Posts: 1484 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
" know I'll be getting the best working man's rifle money can buy."

How could you know that unless you tried every working man's rifle that money could buy? Smiler

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
And we all know that "you get what you pay for", so unless it is the most expensive rifle available it can't be the best...
Wink

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are incredible machines. I have one in 375 RUM as an Elk-Moose-Bear rifle.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thought long and hard about the 375. Problem was I have one that I'm pretty attached to.
I'm sure your's is a deadly, straight shooting machine.

OK, the 'working man's rifle' may be a bit of a stretch as they aren't cheap. But evrry rancher I know pays extra for the best boots and gloves they can get.

Bansner's Rifles are just sweet shooting machines. Lightweight with a composite stock and custom barreled. My 300 WSM just shoots lights out. It's been with me on several sheep hunts and will be with me on more.

I just felt I needed something a tad bigger and that's the reason for the 300 Win Mag. My dream hunt would be with Aaron Neilson and Drummond Lindsey for a big elk. Taking a bull elk with a 300 WSM just doesn't seem right. It will do the job but somehow seems to be wrong in my book.

Posts: 1484 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ide,

Just bought a Bansner in .300 Win myself, on a pre-64 action worked over by Steve Heilmann; rifle was as-new, bought thru a dealer ... I've got a few other customs but I must say, the fit and finish on rifle is outstanding ... looking forward to breaking it in in Alberta next month.

Best Regards,
Craig Nolan

Best Regards,

Craig Nolan

Posts: 403 | Location: South of Alamo, Ca. | Registered: 30 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sweet. I'm headed to Ft St John next month in BC Canada as well. Best wishes on your hunt.

one of us
posted Hide Post
to you as well, been to Fort St. John once, beautiful country, good luck ...

Best Regards,
Craig Nolan

Best Regards,

Craig Nolan

Posts: 403 | Location: South of Alamo, Ca. | Registered: 30 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I hunted bears and moose in Ft. St. John back in the 90's. Beautiful country, lots of game, lots of logging too. Who are you hunting with and what for?

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The outfitter is a new operation by the name of DL Rafters. He has had his operation for several years and in each he's taken some 180 class whitetail bruisers. This is all free range.

Right now it's just him and his wife running it. Both salt of the earth folks.

It was funny, my first day of my hunt w/ them last year, I'm sitting in the blind and I see what I thought was a small wolf. That evening I described to them and they laughed - it was a coyote.

I've shot my fair share of coyotes down here but have never run across yotes as big as what they have up there.