THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Bonus Pics, 20 GaDouble*Hagn Actioned Custom 6.5x55
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bonus Pics, 20 GaDouble*Hagn Actioned Custom 6.5x55
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
All the metalwork for a small Hagn in 6.5x55 hand polishes by my apprentice Oliver Wilderson. Action, lever and breechblock to 600 for cch) and the integral barrel, etc to 400 for rust bluing. All ready to ship to Diane Scalese for engraving.
The integral barrel was machined, fitted and chambered by Ralf Martini. It is octagon to round with a quarter rib, full-length rib and front sight base all one piece of Krieger rifled barrel.
The gun was stocked in Turkish walnut and is ready to checker.

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1791 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
This post reminds me of an old high school girlfriend. All teasing and promises.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
rotflmo

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know anything about color case hardening, except that it looks nice.

When that is applied does it do something to the original hardness of the metal - make it softer or harder than it was?

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's an article in the current Rifle Magazine by Mike Venturino that covers the topic/process pretty well.

SDH, looking forward to pics.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Craigster

Nice article. Thanks for pointing it out to me.

Kevin

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the '96-97 issues of Double Gun Journal there are a series of articles written by Oscar L. Gaddy about CCH. Very informative material. In 2004 or '05 I took a NRA Summer Gunsmithing class to get the basics of CCH. Learned a lot. Had a digitally controlled oven built by Paragon, in Mesquite, TX. Built some crucibles, handling equipment, and quench tank. Spent a lot of time experimenting with what I had learned. Got some pretty good results on regular basis. Trouble is, most everyone wants you to work and apply what you've learned for free! "You can practice on this!". Or, they want to do the polishing or "help".

Posts: 689 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lindy2:
I don't know anything about color case hardening, except that it looks nice.

When that is applied does it do something to the original hardness of the metal - make it softer or harder than it was?
The 'original' metal is soft, low carbon steel. The CCH process creates a hard 'case' on the outside by introducing carbon to the surface of the "part". The colors are just a by-product of the hardening process. Looking forward to seeing this Hagn when pics are posted..

Posts: 689 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the miscue, photobucket has been impossible to deal with so... I simply can't waste any more time &^%&%^ with the site.
Maybe??? Please no suggestions about alternatives.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, photobucket really stinks, however IMGUR (imgur.com) is really easy. But I will not mention it.

If you wish to send me the photos I will be happy to post them for you.

Posts: 3059 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 19 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SDH:
Sorry for the miscue, photobucket has been impossible to deal with so... I simply can't waste any more time &^%&%^ with the site.

Steven, I completely gave up on photobucket
When they " lost" all the photos I had downloaded over the years

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Finally got around to this. I'll add pics of a Bertuzzi 20 Ga. Michael Dubber engrave a bunch of coverage with English style Rose & Scroll. I completed and delivered the gun in 1999. It is cased, was never fired after test firing. This 20GA. was one of two guns I had in the Three Centuries of Tradition Show at the Minneapolis Institute of Arts in 2003.
I just got it back from the client, it is for sale at a very reasonable price, serious parties can drop me a line at me website.

NOTE PIERCED BRIDLE AND POST INLETTED FOR IT. MINIMUM WOOD REMOVAL.

CHECKERED OVER THE TOP AND UNDER THE BOTTOM, ALL ONE PANEL. NOTE THE CARVED DROP-POINTS AT THE REAR OF THE LOCK INLET.

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Now that was worth waiting for. Beautiful work is an understatement. Props to everyone involved.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice job!. How many LPI checkering? How is border cut?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kind words fellas~~
Checkering is 25 lpi with a standard mullered border that was rough cut with a carbide wheel and finished with a convex hand tool.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
quote:
Originally posted by SDH:

Steven, I completely gave up on photobucket
When they " lost" all the photos I had downloaded over the years

Phil, I lost mine but 6 months later they appeared. I did move them just in case though.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote