Find
Notify
Tools

Matched Set of Rifles
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
I've always thought about "starting over" and replacing all of my various rifles with a standard design - Mauser 98 (new action manufacture) with the same stock pattern and barrel profile (increasing at or above 375 H&H). Now, I'll probably never get there because I'm inpatient, but has any else ever thought about this or done it on classic rifles? The modern module rifles don't count - to easy and quick gratification. I know folks have done it with Model 70s.

It would look something like:

6.5x55
7x57
300 H&H
8mm something (8x57 or 8x68s)
9.3x62
375 H&H
416 Rigby and/or 404 Jeffery
500 Jeffery

Dang, thought it would be 10 rifles!

Something like Prechtl actions, Lothar Walther barrels, NECG iron sights and barrel bands, Red/Orange recoil pads, nice walnut, larger bottom metal for the 300 H&H; large bottom metal with pockets/coffins for 375 H&H and above, and integrated scope mounts on the bridges - not sure what setup I would use. Then nice leather or canvas traditional slings and probably Swaro glass on them all, though I'm not a big fan of 30mm scopes since they over power the rifle with their size, so maybe 1" tubs were I can and then 30mm for the DG rifles.

And of course things like tang extension and nice engraving on the floor plate, but no scroll work. All Rust blued, bolt body polished (shroud, safety, and handle rust blued as well).

Forgetting anything? Sounds like a lot of hunting trips I could pay for Frowner

PS: I'd keep all my current rifles Smiler shhhhhh

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps just as important, who are you going to have make each of those rifles?

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
A matched set of ten rifles seems a bit much. A pair of two can be made with matching stocks from the same wood. It is not difficult to find a piece of wood big enough to yield two stocks or to find a pair of blanks already cut just for that. I think pairs made with different sized actions are the most interesting. I remember seeing a pair made with a small short caliber on a Mexican Mauser action and a bigger caliber on a modified 1903 Springfield action. The two actions, big and small, both had the knob on the cocking piece and were done up to look very much the same. The smaller rifle was more petite than the larger rifle in every way. It was very impressive. So, if I was drawing from your list for a pair of rifles for me I would choose either 7x57 and 375 H&H or 300 H&H and 404 Jeffery with actions matching the sizes of the cartridges. But that's just me.

I suggest you pick two calibers, perhaps the two you shoot the most, and make a matching pair. It will take less time than making ten rifles and you can maximize your resources for the pair and really make them something to remember.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:
A matched set of ten rifles seems a bit much. A pair of two can be made with matching stocks from the same wood. It is not difficult to find a piece of wood big enough to yield two stocks or to find a pair of blanks already cut just for that. I think pairs made for different sized actions the the most interesting. I remember seeing a pair made with a small short caliber on a Mexican Mauser action and a bigger caliber on a modified 1903 action. The two actions, big and small, both had the knob on the cocking piece and were done up to look very much the same. The smaller rifle was more petite than the larger rifle in every way. It was very impressive. So, if I was drawing from your list for a pair of rifles for me I would choose either 7x57 and 375 H&H or 300 H&H and 404 Jeffery with actions matching the sizes of the cartridges. But that's just me.

I suggest you pick two calibers, perhaps the two you shoot the most, and make a matching pair. It will take less time than making ten rifles and you can maximize your resources for the pair and really make them something to remember.

I like how some rifles are scaled down for their caliber, could do that for the 6.5x55 and 7; then have a mid sized scale going to the 9.3 and then full scale up for the large calibers.

I hunt with a lot of cartridges, rifles, and bullets. It's fun to try different stuff.

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lindy2:
Perhaps just as important, who are you going to have make each of those rifles?

That is an important question. I think the biggest question is what it pointed elsewhere in the thread - scaling the rifles appropriately by caliber class. Now that would really make things sweet - especially if all the pertinent scale items - action, barrel, and stock are in proportion.

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Now you're talking. But it would be important to make sure that the actions are really scaled. An M70 in in .243 and an M70 in .375 would look about the same. However, some of the Mauser actions available today are truly made in small, standard, and magnum sizes.

I remember seeing another pair made with an Interarms Mini-Mauser and a full sized Mauser. Modifications were made to really make them look alike but in junior and senior sizes.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I think Granite Mountain Arms probably has the best selection of different size actions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found a german company two days ago online, that made new actions on the 222-223 sized actions. Now I cant for the life of me remember what they where called.

Small petite actions.

I would do,
22lr
222 : 50grain (could do a 22-250 on a Kurz action though, since its an "era" cartridge )
7x57 : 150grain
9,3x62 : 250grain
404J : 450grain

Those would make the most of each sized action.. and at the same time be classical, "rimless" Wink, and more then enough for any hunting one might do!

Posts: 615 | Location: a cold place | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RitterBusch M98 manufactured to scale- to suite .223
unlike the cheap Intertarms, this thing is actually fULL-ON Mauser!, CRF,3rd lug, etc,etc

- get a look at the minature M98 in the white: RITTERBUSCH SUPER-Mini.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would do:

22rf - on left hand CZ and reverse the safety
222 on a mini mauser
7x64 or 7x57 on left hand Mayfair or Prectle
375 h&h on left hand magnum Mayfair

All in nice classic style stocks - straight comb and long for ends.

Posts: 981 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
30-06, 375, 450 Rigby.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
some time back i had don allen make me a matched pair of dakotas, the problem with them is that they mat so well i had to put different scopes on them to tell them apart. that doesn't seem like much but one is in 375 and the other in 416, and both accompany me. you can imagine the frustration when you each for the 375 and find out it is a 416 and you only have 375 ammo in you pocket

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a set of rifles being finished up now. I started with a VZ-24 I bought here, and had it made into a 300 H&H. I was so pleased with it, that as appropriate actions became available, I'd snatch them up, pair them with one of the stock blanks I bought here from Singleshotguy, and send them to the 'smith. Full set will be

7mm Mauser
300 H&H
338 Win Mag
404 Jeffery
458 Win Mag
505 Gibbs

They'll all look similar to the original 300 H&H.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
That Ritterbusch looks like the "dream" 223 action
+1

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
+1

+2 That's the cutest thing I've seen in a while.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Many moons ago I had to have 5 Dakota rifles in various caliber made up for a wealthy Dallas client, They all had to be alike in weight and length. One was a 240 Wby. for his daughter. They were serial numbered with his last name and 1 thru 5.
A tidy bottom line sum but no problem for his pocketbook.
He only took nine people on that 21 day safari to TZ.
Heck, I would just go with your first choice and the more firearms a person has the better things are to my way of thinking. you can always cull out the unloved ones later.

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
+1

Wow, that is really nice! Anyone importing them?

Posts: 265 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 09 September 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

I would not call the Ritterbusch Mini action a dream as it is - see first picture,

but that is what you can make out of it - see second picture,

Robert

Posts: 83 | Location: Germany, NRW | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
+1

That is nice. I wonder what one costs.

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Robert:
Gentlemen,

I would not call the Ritterbusch Mini action a dream as it is - see first picture,
but that is what you can make out of it - see second picture,

Robert
I am not a fan of engraving on bolt rifles. However, the treatment of that bolt handle and the integral scope bases really look first class. Smiler

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I can tell you now there will be NO engraving on my actions! However, an appropriate animal for each caliber on the floor plate would be nice. Not sure if I would do a mix of North American and African animals or all African animals:

6.5x55: White Tail, Springbok, or Blackbuck
7x57: Mule Deer, Whitetail, Impala, or Axis
300 H&H: Kudu or Elk
8mm: Oryx or Moose
375 H&H: Lion, Leopard, or Brown Bear
404/416: Cape Buffalo
500 J: Elephant

Thoughts?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:

A finished super-MINI rifle like this from RitterBusch can easily cost in excess of 22,000 EURO.

So I highly suspect the mini-action on its own, is also premium priced.
lets face it, that little full M98 featured action would cost no less to produce than a kurz,std, or magnum mauser size.

...notice the magnum cRoss-bolt feature on this 'safari version' .223rem... clap

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Trax:
quote:

A finished super-MINI rifle like this from RitterBusch can easily cost in excess of 22,000 EURO.

So I highly suspect the mini-action on its own, is also premium priced.
lets face it, that little full M98 featured action would cost no less to produce than a kurz,std, or magnum mauser size.

...notice the magnum cRoss-bolt feature on this 'safari version' .223rem... clap

I agree, fine rifles are expensive regardless of the chambering. It's a neat little action. When I did my Mini Mauser project a few years back I might have gone that route if I known they existed. By the time all the machine work was done to the Mini I probably wasn't too far away dollar wise from one of those RitterBusch actions.

posted Hide Post
I paid 4500 Euro for the Ritterbusch action five years ago and this was before trimming it down.
The action has some potential, as I said before but for me in the original shape it looks to clumsy. The unmodiefied action tip the scale at 1115 grams, while a G33/40 weight 1217 grams or just 102 grams more.
On a rifle with a scaled down action I expect the weight to be lighter also.

Robert

Posts: 83 | Location: Germany, NRW | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Thanks Robert! They do look nice. I really like what you did to yours! Would you have a picture of the finished rifle? I would love to see it.

Terry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I am going to do a set with Wayne at AHR.

I have got a 375 H&H CZ - my main hunting rifle.

I have had Wayne build me a 30/06 on a Ruger M77. I will send it to him and have it be restocked.

I also have M77 in 300 win mag. That will go for the same make over as the 30/06.

I have .223 in cz and a 9.3x62 in sako.

Being left handed actions and rifles are what I can get.

I also have a 458 lott that will go back to Wayne.

375 H&H w/ custom wood versus 458 lott that will become like it

375 H&H another picture

30/06 that will go back for new wood and finishing. It gas already been customized Wayne.

Seems like a fun project for next few years. I may drive guns up to Wayne as I want to see Western Montana.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
You know, that would be a quick and less expensive route - basing everything on a CZ action that has been made right - safety, bolt handle, etc. And they have different size actions.

Wouldn't be a M98, though. Hmmm

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also please note unlike the gun trading guru Biebs I like to build my set from guns I have owned and hunted with .

Biebs why build a set and sell it - just stick to your blaser.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Austin Hunter:
You know, that would be a quick and less expensive route - basing everything on a CZ action that has been made right - safety, bolt handle, etc. And they have different size actions.

Wouldn't be a M98, though. Hmmm

As I said in my follow up note - I like building the set of guns I have owned and hunted with.

Sound a little strange but I like Wayne doing a limited custom work (no upgraded wood) and then hunting the gun hard and then sending back the gun to have it all finished up and hunt it again all over again.

I much rather have it built on guns I have hunted with and will hunt with again.

I just like the look - see the ruger

I also dont want the set to be a display piece. I see some people hunt their high end doubles and shotguns but most rifles are normally ornamental items. Not my thing - I want a set of hunting rifles.

Mike

posted Hide Post
Terry,
I do not have a picture of the finished rifle yet, I only have pictures of different stages. But I will take a picture of the finished rifle at the weekend.
Robert

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Robert:
Terry,
I do not have a picture of the finished rifle yet, I only have pictures of different stages. But I will take a picture of the finished rifle at the weekend.
Robert

Thank you . I look forward to seeing it. I think the little mini action rifles have a lot of appeal.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks Robert! They do look nice. I really like what you did to yours! Would you have a picture of the finished rifle? I would love to see it.

Terry

Terry,
Weather conditions are not the best for good light as it is raining the whole weekend - sorry for the bad quality.

Robert

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
What a beautiful rifle! I really like that action and the improvement s that were done with it. Simply stunning!

Thanks for posting the pictures.

Terry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Robert:
That wood is about the prettiest I've ever seen.
Congrats on finding it.
Beautiful rifle.

I have a three rifle set now and need a few small parts for the action on the small one. A few of us like the 1917 Enfield actions and the dogleg bolt. I grew up hunting with one and just never found a safety setup on anything else I like as well. I also like that dogleg bolt many others think is ugly.

My original is now a .300win
of course an '06 is a must have.
third is just finished by Kevin Weaver.
.358 U/mag, Douglas, 26", Ceracote, Timney, cock on opening. The .300Win also has a Timney.

Am strongly considering the small one as a .243, if not, then a 7x57.

I need the bottom metal, screws and the five little parts for the safely to complete the action. IF anyone has these laying around I'd appreciate a pm as I'm serious about having it made.

Wish I had pictures to share. The '06 & .300Win, along with a Sako L461 .223 are posted on Saubier.com under title: George's pretty rifles, should be around the 4th - 6th page by now. They just show the stock work I did, and only the left sides.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote